• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL A300 SW output very weak

shaneofnine

Hi. I currently have an RME ADI2DACFS plugged into a small SMSL SA300 amp. This little amp has a SW output, which is connected to an SVS sub. Works great.

I bought an SMSL A300 amp (because it has two RCA inputs) and pretty much just swapped the SA300 for this one. Well, the subwoofer out with the A300 is very, very weak. I can hear it, but I have to use the SVS app to turn up the sub +12 db above what the SA300 needed. Even so, it sounds horrible. The amp has an HF0/HF1 option that's supposed to kick on the sub-out, but it doesn't really do much of anything in either position.

Ideas?

Archon43

Hi. I currently have an RME ADI2DACFS plugged into a small SMSL SA300 amp. This little amp has a SW output, which is connected to an SVS sub. Works great.

I bought an SMSL A300 amp (because it has two RCA inputs) and pretty much just swapped the SA300 for this one. Well, the subwoofer out with the A300 is very, very weak. I can hear it, but I have to use the SVS app to turn up the sub +12 db above what the SA300 needed. Even so, it sounds horrible. The amp has an HF0/HF1 option that's supposed to kick on the sub-out, but it doesn't really do much of anything in either position.

Ideas?
You must have a defective unit, because on mine I would say the Subwoofer Out is actually kind of hot. I have a small room, but but my RSL Speedwoofer10s has to be nearly turned all the way off to quit booming (or overpower the main speakers). It could (even more possibly) also be an incorrect setting on your RME, but that I am not familiar with. Try it without the RME and see if it is still low volume. If so, you need to refund or exchange it.

I had to turn my Denon x3500 and Yamaha TSR-700 to nearly a quarter of the way to get the bass to be at the right volume with the same subwoofer and speakers. With this, it is is at basically 1 out of 10 on the volume knob, maybe less.

HF0 is the default mode, means no filtering (full range goes to the speakers). HF1 means the sub and mains are getting filtered and the amp is communicating with the subwoofer. I prefer HF0, even though HF1 is technically the correct setting for a 2.1 system. It sounds better in my particular setup, even if not "proper". Try it with HF1 and see if it's better, but it is either the RME being set wrong or a bad unit.

OP
shaneofnine

shaneofnine

You must have a defective unit, because on mine I would say the Subwoofer Out is actually kind of hot.
I guess I must. There's no difference between HF0 and HF1. I will send it back. Thanks.

HighFutility

Does anyone know if you could use this unit to power a passive sub in BTL mode? I have a 4 ohm sub and 300rms in BTL is all I would need.

Top Bottom