• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Small DIY speaker recommendations

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please note: This thread originated in the LGK build thread and so some posts are relative to that speaker

Thank you! Would be interested in what other smallish desktop passive or powered speakers you would recommend.

yw, as for other smallish passive DIY speakers for a comparable spend, would suggest the SB Acoustics Micro-C, Bagby's Piccolo or (if you can find) @Dennis Murphy AAMs.

If you cannot get AAMs, get the Dayton BR-1s they are based on and can apply the mods. Btw, have not heard any of these, but are by reputable designers and have good quality parts.

There are too many active speakers to consider, but Amir has reviewed a number of here. The better ones are likely a better value than DIY at this price point TBH.

Last edited:

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
yw, as for other smallish passive DIY speakers for a comparable spend, would suggest the SB Acoustics Micro-C, Bagby's Piccolo or (if you can find) @Dennis Murphy AAMs.

If you cannot get AAMs, get the Dayton BR-1s they are based on and can apply the mods. Btw, have not heard any of these, but are by reputable designers and have good quality parts.

There are too many active speakers to consider, but Amir has reviewed a number of here. The better ones are likely a better value than DIY at this price point TBH.
Bummer on prices here. He wants $1000 for finished pairs and this kit with flat pack is $400 so pricey but I suspect for the genre fairly well designed.

I realize he is a small business and has to make money, yet these prices are pretty high. I do think some of his products represent a decent value but this is not one in my opinion at all. I have nothing for or against Danny.
If someone doesn't need a 1 driver small speaker, then I'd take any DIY set with flat pack that PE sells, over these. (not to mention all the options at Meniscus, DIYSG and Madisound.) You can likely find many retail speakers for a similar price with much better performance.

But this is about this speaker and this genre.
I do have an interest in these types of speakers though, I think they are fun I understand why GR is doing a set. A lot of folks want something simple to try and make for themselves. I have a bunch of drivers sitting here for 1 (and 1.5 way) designs that I plan to make someday for fun.

There are numerous single driver DIY plans out there that a skilled woodworker can find and emulate that surely be a better choice. Heck I have seen some cool finished options on Etsy for a reasonable price. I do think $1k finished/$400 KIT is very high here. Search for MarkAudio.

If someone is less skilled or with minimal time available and wants a single driver in a DIT kit that includes a cabinet, these look interesting to me.

Likely the Best deal around is at PE using their PS95 driver which is very decent in spec at least
$120pr w/flat pack, 2 filter options included https://www.parts-express.com/Copperhead-Desktop-Full-Range-Speaker-Kit-Pair-300-7180

$160pr w/ finished hipster plastic cases. Filter-less, uses driver with rising response for "baffle step" and waveguide for the rest. Uses well respected budget MA driver. https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c..._k4XCOuIW5b3Trz6GW2vuM4KJg3vqDLoaAhNWEALw_wcB

These Fostex kits are filter-less but that leaves them ready for PEQ or maybe they work okay as-is?
3"#175 https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...0e-diy-kanspea-3-full-range-speaker-kit-pair/

4"$215 https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...0e-diy-kanspea-4-full-range-speaker-kit-pair/

In the UK
KJF Audio using Mark Audio drivers. Plenty of options and choices though pricing can start to get higher.

Smitty2k1

I don't have Dennis Murphy's AAMs but I did score an old pair of the Alexis Sound Rebecca's he designed as my main system. I'd say they are far too big for desktop usage. I was also auditioning them against a pair of Elac DBR62 that are now boxed up waiting to sell, but again way too big for a desktop.

I'd say most of the active speakers Amir has reviewed are also too big for my desk

Smitty2k1

Bummer on prices here. He wants $1000 for finished pairs and this kit with flat pack is $400 so pricey but I suspect for the genre fairly well designed.

I realize he is a small business and has to make money, yet these prices are pretty high. I do think some of his products represent a decent value but this is not one in my opinion at all. I have nothing for or against Danny.
If someone doesn't need a 1 driver small speaker, then I'd take any DIY set with flat pack that PE sells, over these. (not to mention all the options at Meniscus, DIYSG and Madisound.) You can likely find many retail speakers for a similar price with much better performance.

But this is about this speaker and this genre.
I do have an interest in these types of speakers though, I think they are fun I understand why GR is doing a set. A lot of folks want something simple to try and make for themselves. I have a bunch of drivers sitting here for 1 (and 1.5 way) designs that I plan to make someday for fun.

There are numerous single driver DIY plans out there that a skilled woodworker can find and emulate that surely be a better choice. Heck I have seen some cool finished options on Etsy for a reasonable price. I do think $1k finished/$400 KIT is very high here. Search for MarkAudio.

If someone is less skilled or with minimal time available and wants a single driver in a DIT kit that includes a cabinet, these look interesting to me.

Likely the Best deal around is at PE using their PS95 driver which is very decent in spec at least
$120pr w/flat pack, 2 filter options included https://www.parts-express.com/Copperhead-Desktop-Full-Range-Speaker-Kit-Pair-300-7180

$160pr w/ finished hipster plastic cases. Filter-less, uses driver with rising response for "baffle step" and waveguide for the rest. Uses well respected budget MA driver. https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c..._k4XCOuIW5b3Trz6GW2vuM4KJg3vqDLoaAhNWEALw_wcB

These Fostex kits are filter-less but that leaves them ready for PEQ or maybe they work okay as-is?
3"#175 https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...0e-diy-kanspea-3-full-range-speaker-kit-pair/

4"$215 https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...0e-diy-kanspea-4-full-range-speaker-kit-pair/

In the UK
KJF Audio using Mark Audio drivers. Plenty of options and choices though pricing can start to get higher.
My end goal is just desktop speakers in a fairly small enclosure. Not set on single driver or DIY by any means but thanks for the list. Any other small enclosure recommendations?

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
My end goal is just desktop speakers in a fairly small enclosure. Not set on single driver or DIY by any means but thanks for the list. Any other small enclosure recommendations?
Here are a couple smallish DIY but not single driver.

This one has finished enclosures

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I'll echo the above praises for doing this build! Thank you.

Re: Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Monitors using the BR-1 Kit, I bought a pair of the original BR-1 based AAs with the Dayton Silky Dome Tweeter and was very pleasantly surprised by them. They are very good Speakers with better than expected extension. Dennis' original Mod to this Kit was quite wonderful.
As my first foray into DIY, I got his schematic for the AA+ build and ordered up the Morel Tweeter. This too was splendid.

Dennis has said he hopes to bring the Affordable Accuracy back (with his new XO and the original Dayton Tweeter if he can, but getting the parts has been a bugaboo iirc. The Crossovers from Bennic and the Parts from PE have made it a much more expensive proposition in the current climate.

I will add, too, that these are not small Speakers. The BR-1 cabinet takes up some space. I don't have a tape handy but they are roughly 15"h x 9"w x 11"d. 15# each, fully loaded.

Smitty2k1

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks that finished cabinet looks alright and white goes well with my Ikea-esque office

If you are looking for a more spartan setup for a desktop, suggest you look at some Amazon Echo (maybe Echo Pluses now). For something higher end, maybe the Apple or Sonos equivs. My wife really likes the small footprint, choice of colors and less wires too. :)

Am not a serious nearfield listener but have a stereo pair of Echoes on my desk and am quite pleased. If you find you do not like, the return policy is a lot better than DIY too!

D!sco

How has this site never tested the Overnight Sensations? Possibly the most prolific DIY concept I've seen, including MTMs, towers, and center channels. It's the kind of thing I want to recommend people. Surely someone here has made them?

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How has this site never tested the Overnight Sensations? Possibly the most prolific DIY concept I've seen, including MTMs, towers, and center channels. It's the kind of thing I want to recommend people. Surely someone here has made them?

Not tested reason is pretty simple - because nobody has funded or loaned one to ASR.

As for a prolific concept, the Zaph Audio ZA5 speakers are more scalable and arguably better engineered. In any case, both are getting pretty dated at this stage. Carmody does not even post anything in terms of off-axis measurements.

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
My personal recommendation for your use would be a pair (maybe used) Heco Victa 200/201 or Q Acoustics 3010/i.
If you have minimal DIY skills, there would be one more trick.
Buy a pair of (defective) active monitors (studio/nearfield) with the active electronics only in one speaker (these are only sold in pairs).
These active monitors have passive crossovers so that you can build the electronics out of one monitor and get very good and well-tuned passive speakers for your desktop.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I made a pair. They are OK; I am using them in a room with tons of glass so I wasn't trying for anything great. If you really want me to I can try to do a manual spin this summer (something I've never done so possibly my measurements would be a fail).

One thing about these: the phase is bad for a Class D amp without PFFB. Which is the kind of amp that someone might want to use with this budget kit.

I can't ship the speakers because I did not attach the crossover board securely enough for travel, and I don't know if I could fix that.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

D!sco

Not tested reason is pretty simple - because nobody has funded or loaned one to ASR.

As for a prolific concept, the Zaph Audio ZA5 speakers are more scalable and arguably better engineered. In any case, both are getting pretty dated at this stage. Carmody does not even post anything in terms of off-axis measurements.
Part of my problem with the ZA5 is how hard it can be to find the official documentation. It's not even visible on his site's front page!
Very comprehensive, really had no clue about the non TM iterations. Do you still have the ZA5.2s? Curious if you'd try the other configurations.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Part of my problem with the ZA5 is how hard it can be to find the official documentation. It's not even visible on his site's front page!
Very comprehensive, really had no clue about the non TM iterations. Do you still have the ZA5.2s? Curious if you'd try the other configurations.

I still have the MT (actually 3 of them) and the center. The center is sidelined for the moment but will eventually go to my son. He has the MTMs. All had home theater duty at one time but have since been upgraded to better speakers.

I am fine with all of them, but least liked the center as it still was still too distracting. It mattered less as once the other mains had been upgraded, it got tagged out too. Never built any of the towers, but mainly because I already owned decent towers (and still do).

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you guys aware of any (preferably sealed) designs that have a -3 dB point around 100Hz and a sensitivity of at least 90dB per watt ?

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DIY or store bought upgrades?

CBT24s (available as DIY kit, mine came assembled). The other speakers are Mirage OMD-5s.

Top Bottom