• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Small DIY speaker recommendations

ta240

Major Contributor
I still have the MT (actually 3 of them) and the center. The center is sidelined for the moment but will eventually go to my son. He has the MTMs. All had home theater duty at one time but have since been upgraded to better speakers.

I am fine with all of them, but least liked the center as it still was still too distracting. It mattered less as once the other mains had been upgraded, it got tagged out too. Never built any of the towers, but mainly because I already owned decent towers (and still do).

How do the MTMs compare to the MTs? I've built a couple pairs of MTs and have nearly all the parts to built MTMs but just not sure if it is worth it.

ta240

Major Contributor
Is anyone familiar with Duane Browns Dayton 4?
It looks like the parts, minus wood, come out to just over $80 now

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How do the MTMs compare to the MTs? I've built a couple pairs of MTs and have nearly all the parts to built MTMs but just not sure if it is worth it.
More output, same height issue as many MTMs.;)

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is anyone familiar with Duane Browns Dayton 4?
It looks like the parts, minus wood, come out to just over $80 now
And they sound great too!

Wolf

Are you guys aware of any (preferably sealed) designs that have a -3 dB point around 100Hz and a sensitivity of at least 90dB per watt ?
Basically, this lends well to 4" drivers, but finding one that sensitive is tough due to BSC losses. It's hard to find a 4" over 90dB to start with.

The closest i know of are my Synchaetas. PRV 4MR60-4 and Dayton ND25F-4 used in a Radio Shack Minimus7 cab, or a ground up build of a similar size. Sealed M7 cabs of 2 ltrs for an F3 of roughly 100Hz, and a sensitivity of 86dB and a 4 ohm design.

mtg90

CD = Compression Driver:

Parts Express stopped stocking that model and clearanced it out before I even finished the design I only noticed it was NLA when I was adding the links for the parts list. It was a really nice compression driver as well, best I've tested in that price range.

Parts Express has stopped selling a lot of Peerless brand drivers lately, including the GBS-250 used in the Slipstream design of mine and the 8" Nomex HDS which I was looking at using for a future design.

The WG10 horn has been iffy from Parts Express as well going in and out of stock while also saying clearanced, looks like there is only one in stock there anyway.

mtg90

How has this site never tested the Overnight Sensations? Possibly the most prolific DIY concept I've seen, including MTMs, towers, and center channels. It's the kind of thing I want to recommend people. Surely someone here has made them?
I'm certain Erin has or is building a set to test.

mightycicadalord

I don't see that? Yeah they are clearanced at PE for 15/pc right now; but they are also available direct from Eminence at 25/pc.

Not the horn, the CD, it shows discontinued on a few sites and out of stock on others.

wacomme

My personal recommendation for your use would be a pair (maybe used) Heco Victa 200/201 or Q Acoustics 3010/i.
If you have minimal DIY skills, there would be one more trick.
Buy a pair of (defective) active monitors (studio/nearfield) with the active electronics only in one speaker (these are only sold in pairs).
These active monitors have passive crossovers so that you can build the electronics out of one monitor and get very good and well-tuned passive speakers for your desktop.
How good is the Q Acoustic 3010? I cannot find reviews on this speaker. Is it much better than the Audioengine A2?

Roland68

Major Contributor
Top Bottom