• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

silver voice coil

steve59

Major Contributor
I own a pair of speakers that add silver voice coil in the tweeter description and looking up speaker components this seems rather unusual and uncommon. anybody?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Aluminum voice coils are common, have not seen (but not looked for) silver. Seems like a very pricey option... I don't recall melting points but I think silver is better than copper, and has slightly less resistance so not a bad idea if you can afford it. I'd be worried they make the silver so small it increases resistance, however, to save costs. Copper and silver have lower resistance than aluminum but also lower melting points IIRC. Heat is an issue in a voice coil, but just one of many variables.

It could also be silver plated...

Can't imagine it impacts performance.

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Would you mind to tell us, which speakers you own?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Silver melts @ 961.8C and aluminum @ 660.3C.
Silver weighs ~10,497 kg / m cubed and aluminum weighs ~2700 kg / m cubed.

Some advantages to both dependent on the properties required.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Copper and silver have lower resistance than aluminum but also lower melting points

Melting Point
Aluminum: 660°C (1220°F)
Silver: 961°C (1762°F)
Copper: 1084°C (1983°F)

Aluminum probably used for lighter weight

Substance kg/m3 lbs/ft3
Aluminium 2,720 170
Copper 8,960 560
Silver 10,480 655

"Aluminum has 61 percent of the conductivity of copper, but has only 30 percent of the weight of copper."

OP
steve59

steve59

Major Contributor
Would you mind to tell us, which speakers you own?
Meridian dsp, I saw made in Norway on the magnet so Seas likely

egellings

Major Contributor
Silver melts @ 961.8C and aluminum @ 660.3C.
Silver weighs ~10,497 kg / m cubed and aluminum weighs ~2700 kg / m cubed.

Some advantages to both dependent on the properties required.
Whew! I hope we never operate tweeters anywhere near that temperature range.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Whew! I hope we never operate tweeters anywhere near that temperature range.
Hehe... I provided warranty service for Energy and KEF for several years and some of the speakers that came in for service smelled so badly of burned ferrofluid and burned voice coils that we serviced them ASAP just to get rid of them. The KEF owners where a bit better with the gear but the Energy stuff was often abused big time. We where advised to replace the tweeters/woofers under warranty but on the 3rd time they would pay for their repetitive abusing the speakers. The customers received plentyyy of warning to stop blowing drivers or get bigger badder speakers.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Melting Point
Aluminum: 660°C (1220°F)
Silver: 961°C (1762°F)
Copper: 1084°C (1983°F)

Aluminum probably used for lighter weight

Substance kg/m3 lbs/ft3
Aluminium 2,720 170
Copper 8,960 560
Silver 10,480 655

"Aluminum has 61 percent of the conductivity of copper, but has only 30 percent of the weight of copper."
Thank you! I was way off with the melting points, but at least I remembered weight and conductivity... Al is lighter and cheaper than copper (or silver, natch).

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And since tweeters usually have a resistor in the crossover network...well...

OP
steve59

steve59

Major Contributor
so a silver vc could mean less material translates to lighter possibly faster? I count on you guys to read past the bs

MAB

Major Contributor
so a silver vc could mean less material translates to lighter possibly faster? I count on you guys to read past the bs
Silver would require 3% less wire than copper for equivalent DCR. Or have 3% lower DCR for the same turns and wire diameters. I don't know what percentage of a driver's moving mas is the vc, but it seems tiny, and 3% of tiny is super tiny. Silver VC appears to have zero merit. I hope they don't charge a premium for the silver, there's very little of it in the VC and no way it is changing the sound!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There's a reason it's unusual that they use silver. Unfortunately, I doubt it has any benefits other than for marketing.

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No.
No good reason to use silver wire in a VC except maybe marketing. Copper has 96% of the conductivity of silver but only 85% of the mass. You can get a lighter VC with copper given the same resistance, conversely with the same mass coil, copper with give you more windings = greater flux.

Top Bottom