• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sigberg Audio SBS.1 Active speakers development thread

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Can perhaps mention this article in this thread as well. The article is mainly about the Sigberg Audio Manta, but this same studio also has the SBS.1 and dual Inkognitos in their mixing&mastering studio. They are very happy with both setups! :)

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
We have received what I can only call a love letter from a proud owner of SBS.1 and Inkognito 10! :) It describes both what he was originally missing, and his experience with his Sigberg Audio system.

From the introduction:
"I used to wish I enjoyed typical 'hifi music'. It would certainly make life easier. Sure, jazz and acoustic music could sound impressive. However, I quickly got bored and switched to what I really wanted to listen to. But then it didn't sound so impressive anymore. It just didn't feel the same with metal or electronic music. And hard rock from the '80s? Forget about it."

The description of his hunt for great sound across genres was so close to what I've been aiming for with our systems, that I decided to publish it as an article on our website. I'm humbled and grateful that we can help bring joy and passion for music into people's lives like this!

If you are curious about Sigberg Audio speakers, reading this is a great introduction to the experience of owning a pair!

Last edited:
OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
A review of the Sigberg Audio SBS.1 active speaker system with the Inkognito subwoofer is now available on the Jay's Iyagi youtube channel!

He discusses the compromises related to placement, stereo perspective and bass when you have a shared listening space (aka normal living room), and how this system actually is designed to handle that and rewards you with great sound! This is a subjective review of course, so I expect ASR to take it with a grain of salt. :) Jay has high production quality on his videos, so at the very least this is a great opportunity to get a better impression of how the speakers look! He tested a pair of satin white SBS.1 speakers and a satin black Inkognito subwoofer.

I do of course encourage you to watch the entire video, but here's at least a couple of quotes:

"(..)The default tune has warmth and body and meatiness to the midrange and overall sound, despite having all the high frequency detail."

"(..)they have exceptional soundstage and depth when they're close to the wall (..) no speaker has ever been four inches from the wall in my room and have satisified me in terms of how much depth I'm getting. The soundstage is pretty darn exceptional."

"(..) the subwoofers are able to dig really low, to the lowest octave, they portray really big scale and dynamic swings. These subwoofers just kick ass!"

bildeavsbs.jpg

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A review of the Sigberg Audio SBS.1 active speaker system with the Inkognito subwoofer is now available on the Jay's Iyagi youtube channel!

He discusses the compromises related to placement, stereo perspective and bass when you have a shared listening space (aka normal living room), and how this system actually is designed to handle that and rewards you with great sound! This is a subjective review of course, so I expect ASR to take it with a grain of salt. :) Jay has high production quality on his videos, so at the very least this is a great opportunity to get a better impression of how the speakers look! He tested a pair of satin white SBS.1 speakers and a satin black Inkognito subwoofer.

I do of course encourage you to watch the entire video, but here's at least a couple of quotes:

"(..)The default tune has warmth and body and meatiness to the midrange and overall sound, despite having all the high frequency detail."

"(..)they have exceptional soundstage and depth when they're close to the wall (..) no speaker has ever been four inches from the wall in my room and have satisified me in terms of how much depth I'm getting. The soundstage is pretty darn exceptional."

"(..) the subwoofers are able to dig really low, to the lowest octave, they portray really big scale and dynamic swings. These subwoofers just kick ass!"

Jays iyagi has a great set of ears, which is very important to stay in the review business. If he mentioned they are good, they should be good.

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would like to see independent measurements of his ears.
In that case you may need to measure your own ears first to see if you are hearing and apply the corrections that you are also hearing it the way it is supposed to be.

kma100

Forum Donor
@sigbergaudio good for you! I think it is important to get the word out, and most people watch YouTube videos. Subjective impressions are helpful to many (yes, I know measurements are important) as most people have no idea what to make of measurements.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Due to a bug on our website, we've been showing the wrong (too high) price to people outside of Norway for a while (didn't exclude Norwegian VAT). So if you are living outside of Norway and have checked the site recently, please try again, and you should get the pleasant surprise of 20% lower prices! Our apologies!

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
We're starting a series of 30-60 second ads now based on the setup at Velvet recording, as they have ended up with basically all our products. One setup with Manta + dual 10D, and one with SBS and dual Inkognito. We will also release one or two full video interviews as well, but focusing on getting out a few ads first. :)

Here is the first one:

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Measured SBS.1 and 10D together in an anechoic chamber the other day. Was hoping we could do a full set of measurements of the whole system, but that proved a bit difficult, and the chamber wasn't totally flat below 100hz either.

But did at least get a decent measurement showing the pretty smooth integration between the speakers and sub. No obvious giveaway that this isn't one unit. :)

Crossover is at 100hz with some overlap.

1698430030462.png

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Full measurements finally available on spinorama.org, started a separate thread to discuss the measurements here:

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
With a little help from @Purité Audio I just realised that the stands used under Jay's test of the SBS.1 are the Solid Steel SS (https://solidsteel.it/prodotto/ss-series/). I think those suit the SBS.1 very well, and makes them a bit more of a looker. I think you could just both black and white stands to both black and white SBS.1 speakers depending on the look you are going for.

So that can be a recommendation to those who want a bit more extrovert appearance :)

With regards to height they have a model called SS-6 that's 62,5cm tall which is probably a good match.

1705338043439-png.986490

1705338110083-png.986491

1705338144546-png.986492

(pictures stolen from Jay's Youtube review)

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With a little help from @Purité Audio I just realised that the stands used under Jay's test of the SBS.1 are the Solid Steel SS (https://solidsteel.it/prodotto/ss-series/). I think those suit the SBS.1 very well, and makes them a bit more of a looker. I think you could just both black and white stands to both black and white SBS.1 speakers depending on the look you are going for.

So that can be a recommendation to those who want a bit more extrovert appearance :)

With regards to height they have a model called SS-6 that's 62,5cm tall which is probably a good match.

1705338043439-png.986490

1705338110083-png.986491

1705338144546-png.986492

(pictures stolen from Jay's Youtube review)
3 legged stands are an accident waiting to happen, I used to have some, never again.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I know they used one legged stools at the Royal Gunpowder factory , to avoid ( potentially devastating) accidents
‘The SS stands also come in ‘RAW’.
Not sure that this photograph best expresses just how raw these are.
Keith
IMG_3417.jpeg

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
They will be, right up till a small nudge in the wrong direction, I had to catch my speakers a few times, not fun.

Anyway, just a suggestion, everyone is free to purchase a speaker stand to their own taste of course :)

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyway, just a suggestion, everyone is free to purchase a speaker stand to their own taste of course :)
As a manufacturer I just wanted to alert you to think about it, as a recommendation from you carries more weight.

Of course it might just be I'm over sensitive because I also once had a turntable stand that was similar, and almost knocked the whole thing over more than once. I don't know what Roksan were thinking.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Was the consumption of alcohol a contributory factor?
Keith

Top Bottom