• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Raspberry PIs, Intel NUCs and other mini PCs!

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I switched my setup over from Moode to PiCorePlayer, with LMS running in a VM near the NAS. Moode was more polished and nicer in a couple ways but PCP handles multi-room sync effortlessly, which was a priority for me. It's pretty rad going from room to room and my office hi-fi and all my vintage gear is playing in sync, controlled by my phone, without anything like a Sonos tax or other downsides.

OP
JaccoW

JaccoW

Got my NucBox 5 set up and serving as my HTPC. Replaced the original 128GB SSD with a 512GB one (largest I could get in this weird size) and sync with my other PC and cloud backup. It does everything I need though the latest Ryzen RDNA2 models seem like they might be a good gaming replacement for me.

Still on the lookout for a silver model of the Marantz CD-player, or maybe even the upgraded DV6400vM model but they seem to have become a bit more expensive since I bought this one last year.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
TbrHCElDTwWkieKXDSPqPQ.jpg

Graham849

Forum Donor
My Mele HDMI out to 2011 Toshiba 40". Jriver 30 autostart on top of win 11.
16661753994959146442284268252016.jpg

TSX

This is my Roon server

10AE0FD8-23D7-47C0-8E14-4FD6CF19BB2F.jpeg

Attached with crazy strong magnet under the plant / router table. Cables are still a mess, but will be coped with anytime soon... I hope

14E3E652-E870-4134-8A32-88EEDC338599.jpeg

Graham849

Forum Donor
This is my Roon server

Attached with crazy strong magnet under the plant / router table. Cables are still a mess, but will be coped with anytime soon... I hope

View attachment 238049
Does the magnet cause any interference?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My good ol' audio PC is based on Intel i5 4690S running Win10, built by MITXPC.

View attachment 221756

View attachment 221757
When my HTPC dies I am seriously thinking of getting a fanless mini PC like these below.

Not only it is 100% silent as it is fanless, performance would be a step up from my old CPU i5 4690S.

Similar performance to an i3 10100 or i5 9400, not bad at all.

Topton

topton.jpg

Or

Chatreey

chatreey.jpg

Last edited:

TSX

Does the magnet cause any interference?
MagnetS. I use 6 og them.

I don’t think so. Are you thinking of something specific?

Thanks.

Graham849

Forum Donor
MagnetS. I use 6 og them.

I don’t think so. Are you thinking of something specific?

Thanks.
Not especially just curious if there is any flux issue.

TSX

Everything seems fine to me. It's running Roon and nothing else.

Thanks

Jim Tonic

View attachment 222780Here is my up cycled Sony TC 209 SD cassette deck minus its cassette mech and now housing an RPi 3 running Picoreplayer, plus Allo Digione hat, SPDIF out put is to RME ADI-2 DAC, complete with active moving Coil VU meters and functional cassette ‘piano keys’ for RW/Stop/Play/FF/Next track (substituted for record) and Pause.
i am really impressed!
Do you have some pictures from the inside?
(did you ground the cinch outputs of the RME Dac to the housing of the tapedeck?, how are the vu meters connected?,...)
greetz Jim

roog

Forum Donor
i am really impressed!
Do you have some pictures from the inside?
(did you ground the cinch outputs of the RME Dac to the housing of the tapedeck?, how are the vu meters connected?,...)
greetz Jim

Thank you for your kind words @Jim Tonic .

On the outside it looks ok when caught at the right angle and when viewed with a squint, much less so on the inside where I ran out of commitment and talent. My credibility in tatters, I am releasing a picture of the mess on the inside, it's not pretty. <hangs head in shame>.
On reflection, and now knowing that I wouldn't end up using circuitry on the Sony main PCB, I should have stripped the cassette deck and started from a bare chassis.
On a positive note, it amazes me that something I have put together is allowed in our living room, even more so that it is still being used by my family!

I use the BNC SPDIF output from the Allo Digione hat to drive my external RME DAC, I believe the RPi + Hat are grounded via its SMPSU.

Top center of the image is my effort at tapping into the USB QWERTY keyboard encoder PCB to map the cassette mech 'piano keys' into the RPI to give manual operation of key functions, Rew, Stop, Play, FF, 'Next track' (formally Rec) and Pause. The shrink wrapped bundle under the 'P' clip is the matrix formed by the cables coming from the microswitches operated by the cassette 'piano keys' emulating a keyboard. Centre of the image are the 5V DC-DC converter which draws its supply from a 16V regulated rail from the original PSU and the internal DAC, required to generate an analogue line level signal for the VU meters with the New VU meter driver board lower right. I did originally tap into the original cassette deck VU driver circuit on the Sony main PCB, but I found it didn't respond very well and some months later I bought a dedicated VU meter driver which now runs off the 5V DC to DC converter.

The original Sony main board has now been removed and a load of redundant wiring has gone with it, although some still remains (I dare not cut anymore out in case something stops working), this made space for the new VU meter driver PCB, (black PCB). I have kept the original supply transformer and regulators which now provide supplies to the VU meter circuits and the back lights. The whole VU meter system and PSUs can be switched off from the front switch leaving the RPI to work as it would normally from its own supply. My wiring to the newly replaced VU meter filament lamps, lower left, is a mess, I was worried that I might snap the fragile wires if I wrangled them into a loom. (Well, that's my excuse for not tidying it).

IMG_4676.JPG

Microswitches fitted to the original cassette deck 'piano keys', quite a lot of effort given the presence of a 7" touch screen!

IMG_4455.JPG

And the outside view, inner mess not visible.

IMG_4566.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4455.JPG
    IMG_4455.JPG
    279.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Jim Tonic

it's very nice, that you went the extra mile and integrated many of the existing components like the PSU.

I could find the vu-controller at audiophonics website, thanks.

It's best to route the audio signal to the outside via digits, cause as you mentioned, analog output of the RPi Hats is grounded to the powerrail.

Have you split the spdif-output of the Allo-soundcard to feed the RME and the internal converter in parallel or did you setup two soundcard-outputs on the Pi?

thanks for sharing,
Jim

PS: There's space left, maybe for a SSD-drive ;)

roog

Forum Donor
it's very nice, that you went the extra mile and integrated many of the existing components like the PSU.

I could find the vu-controller at audiophonics website, thanks.

It's best to route the audio signal to the outside via digits, cause as you mentioned, analog output of the RPi Hats is grounded to the powerrail.

Have you split the spdif-output of the Allo-soundcard to feed the RME and the internal converter in parallel or did you setup two soundcard-outputs on the Pi?

thanks for sharing,
Jim

PS: There's space left, maybe for a SSD-drive ;)

Hi @Jim Tonic I quite like the VU controller, I think I ordered mine from Aliexpress, it arrived direct from China, as things do these days. It was easy enough to set up and just about worked with the incumbent VU meters which seemed more sensitive than the ones specified for use with the board. The board can also drive LED and incandescent meter lights and vary their intensity, but as that part of the rig was working following a re-lamp I left that bit alone. It was also a good excuse to keep the old PSU circuity.

The Allo Digione Hat has both BNC and RCA digital outputs, I'm not sure how they are served, I don't know if they each have their own drivers or if they are simply paralleled together at the PCB. It seems to work so I am content. I guess the answer is they are paralleled. Eeeak!

I wish I understood the RPi system better, I just followed a couple of very helpful Youtube videos on how to set up Picoreplayer on a RPi and the rest I made up using my basic understanding of electronics, this kind of shows I guess :0) My original use of the VU meter circuity meant that I actually had to trace the circuits and work out where best to inject the analogue signal from the DAC, now that the old VU circuity has been removed it is rather more plug and play.

I do have a decent size SD card installed with my CD library copied over so it is set up to play tracks from its own memory as well.

Either way I have been very pleased with the results as it has taken the place of my Naim streamer and latterly a Bluesound Node 2i.

I have been tempted to try it again, only this time I would do it properly and do away with the 'Do-Hicky'/ 'Heath Robinson'/ 'Rube Goldberg' bits. I am currently thinking of building a couple of Hypex or Eigentakt modules into an older (not working of course) integrated amplifier complete with modern preamp and obligatory VU meters!

Thank you for your interest and good luck with your own venture/s.

Last edited:

Neddy

Congrats on a great re-purposing job! Definitely in the mode of great tinkerers every where.
The persistance alone that it took to see it through is impressive, and for the most part neatness doesn't count.
I have variously (long ago, tho) converted a 40-50s tube oscilloscope to hold STD buss, dual sinclair powered home phone control system, a deoderant 'can' to an amplifier for airplane air-headphones to real earphones (dial was volume knob, small enough to not be noticed by stewards: They charged for those things back then)....and made my own keyboards from scratch, using blue foam, plexiglass, switches from surplus, and my own pcb design...later replaced with surplus actual kleyborgs pcb/switches, etc etc.
Nothing like building it yourself to understand how something works (for a while, anyway:)!
Well done!!

roog

Forum Donor
Well @Neddy its a nice skill that you have developed. (Awesome name by the way). Its a pity that I don't make as much stuff as I used to, in part I think this is because stuff seems so much more accessible than it used to and the need to make 'extra' gadgets for my car or daft things for my other hobbies like a 'digital photographic shutter speed tester', things which no one else would consider buying seem to have waned. Perhaps this needs to change!

I do enjoy a good project, call it therapy if you like.

Neddy

Well @Neddy its a nice skill that you have developed. (Awesome name by the way). Its a pity that I don't make as much stuff as I used to, in part I think this is because stuff seems so much more accessible than it used to and the need to make 'extra' gadgets for my car or daft things for my other hobbies like a 'digital photographic shutter speed tester', things which no one else would consider buying seem to have waned. Perhaps this needs to change!

I do enjoy a good project, call it therapy if you like.
Thanks - agreed. I struggle to Not customize nearly everything around me - must be a disease?
Some might argue that such far more advanced manufacturing tech (and software) would make this less necessary, but I find it just more frustrating.
OTOH, at the modular DIY end of things - as youve demonstrated - have made re-imagining older stuff more powerful.
Huh.
Yah, I need to update the image to match the character name - but general point is made, gooney as it is.
o_O

Mostmax

I've been listening to this (Frankenstein) rig each and every night for awhile now.

Squeezeman.jpg

Power bank -> Pi Zero 2 W -> sometimes a Sonata HD Pro -> but lately this Creative SXFI. Held firmly in place with blu-tack. I've been calling it the "Squeezeman".

Nice-and-stable on-the-coffee-table. (The amazing) piCorePlayer controlled with Material skin.

deadwood83

I use a lil' Lenovo M75q Gen 2 with a desktop Zen 3 Ryzen 7 Pro CPU and 1TB M.2 SSD.... Naturally I stream from my server.
1666662317706.png

I picked it up secondhand on ebay for about $350 and it came with a whole bunch of on-site warranty and 16gb of ram. Actually, one of the USB ports was dead on receipt so I tested that warranty and a nice gentleman stopped by last Friday and swapped the motherboard while sitting on my couch. Then they followed up by phone this morning and extended my warranty by 2 months without asking, "for the inconvenience."
1666662480314.png

I'm not even the original purchaser. But holy smokes this experience is going to make very, very seriously consider Lenovo in the future.

Top Bottom