• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

sam_adams

Major Contributor
*I don't know what ever happened to Citroen (+umlaut) but I cringe each time I think of their 2CV (<< English translation = Aztek).

The 2CV or "deux chevaux", two horses, was conceived as a car for French farmers to bring them out of the horse-and-cart era after WWII. As a simple car with wicker seat upholstery, a sturdy, long-travel suspension, and simple mechanicals, it could easily carry two 25 kilo sacks of potatoes in the back and a crate of eggs up front to market from the farm—while guaranteeing all the eggs would arrive unbroken.

Interesting fact about the 2CV, because the front track was wider than the rear track, it left two distinct sets of tire tracks. Because of this design feature, the 2CV was used by a large US tire manufacturer to study what are called "tire wipes" or the displacement of road surface water as a treaded tire passes over it.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"deux chevaux", two horses,
I don't think it ever was but now that you brought that up; no matter how much early-era tech was credited to that thing, it was like putting the proverbial lipstick on a...ummm... horse!;) imo.

sam_adams

Major Contributor
So, I can say "Yes. I kinda know Renault because of their long-term involvement in Formula1"

Unless you have driven this little beastie:
R5turboii.jpg

you don't know Renault. The neck-snapping, eyeball-crushing acceleration from a turbocharged 1.4L was amazing.

The only thing I never got used to with French cars was the turn signal stalk on the right side of the steering column.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...you don't know Renault. The neck-snapping, eyeball-crushing acceleration from a turbocharged 1.4L was amazing...
Some one, some where, some time had stuffed a V8 in the rear-end of a LeCar...
Unfortunately and once again, we fall into that lipstick/pig dilemma:
When you start with the following baseline...
202311_LeCar1981.jpg

... you can stuff a mini-turbo jet in one, then it just becomes an insult to the jet engine!
None of the CPR ever held traction in the States and hence my original question-full post << unresolved.

ADD: I did come across a 1945 publication about "112 Gripes about the French", which clears a lot of myths.;)

Last edited:

droid2000

What Bugatti has done the past couple decades makes up for all the tomfoolery of other French manufacturers.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
True.
Bugatti Rimac is a joint venture headquartered in Sveta Nedelja, Croatia, known for the car brands Bugatti and Rimac. The two brands were united under the business decision of Porsche, giving control of Bugatti to Mate Rimac and in return receive more share in Rimac Group, which includes Rimac Technology, a company that develops batteries and powertrains...

Jimster480

Major Contributor
True enough, but my Hyundai has a battery warranty for 8 years. They are getting better, just like any new tech. they need time and investment, but they will get there.

Again true enough. Aren't the cities the most in need of cleaner air??

Now you are getting too political and biased against, and here is not the place for that argument, so I won't.
Just remember, Hyundai warranty on batteries is 8 years, 100K miles!
If the technology is allowed to mature, it will eventually surpass gas cars on every point, by an electric mile!
Over and out on this issue.

Here it is:

View attachment 326749 View attachment 326750

View attachment 326751 View attachment 326753

Not a big or fancy car. Good enough for me and London.
Listen here; I am in the market for a LEAF right now to do bidirectional charging with my Solar Grid I am working to put together.
The LEAF also has 8 years 100k warranty and they replace batteries that fall under 70% SOH during this time... however lots of cars are hitting this and all the EV companies are literally LOSING BILLIONS on their EV Ventures. Which is why they are also SLOWING EV PRODUCTION as I write this.
100k miles isn't alot for ANY VEHICLE. I literally own 5 cars with over 100k miles which are on the road basically every day. Most people I know have atleast 1 vehicle with 100k+ miles. The reality is that once the car hits 100k miles; its a paperweight. Nobody wants to buy it. For some of the older LEAFs that made it 8 years without hitting under 70% SOH;; they are also mostly worthless now... cars that were 35-45k that are now worth 4-7k.... Idk about you but for "regular people" who often sell or trade in their cars when they get new ones.... the depreciation on an EV is far larger than ANY BENEFIT they would have to the environment. This is especially once you factor in the costs of junking them and having them rot in graveyards all around the world after less than a decade. A typical gas vehicle has a service life of 25 years. EV's are looking to be 8 year vehicles.... and there are 8 year car loans. Look back at EV's from 8 years ago and you will barely find any of them with good batteries from ANY BRAND.
Lots of people trashed the LEAF; but other brands didn't fare any better. Its a battery after all.... it wears out over time and then the cost to replace it is astronomical.
Outside of hobbiest solar grid projects; there are NO USES for expended EV batteries. There is NO RECYCLING and there will NOT BE ANY FOR DECADES.
They just opened some of the first plants this year and they can process "UP TO 10000 batteries per year". Wow that is like not even 1 quarter of 1 major manufacturers car sales.... and what will they do with the over 250k EV's that currently have "depleted" or "less than useful" service lifes currently sitting around the planet?
Well it would take over 25 years at the current rate to process all the batteries sitting today, nevermind the tons of new ones made each year....

I'm not saying that EV's don't have a place in the world. However the idea of actually replacing gas vehicles is LAUGHABLE at best and totalitarian at worst.
Once you factor in the sense that you can literally not travel out of a certain area without needing a publicly provided charging area that is digitally controlled, has close monitoring and is mostly funded by the government; you can see the angle of totalitarian control placed into EVs.
After 2025 all vehicles in the USA have to have kill switches and biometric monitoring for "safety". Anyone who honestly thinks there is no political angle in the drive towards EVs needs to PAY ATTENTION to what governments everywhere are doing.
ferrari_330_lm_250_gto_rm_sothebys_auction_41.jpg

Now here's a car! My vote for perhaps the most beautiful ever. Drive to the track, race, then drive it home. Which is what some did back in the day. I've loved this car from the first time I saw one in a Road & Track magazine borrowed from my local public library when I was about 12. The car would have been a year or two old at that time.
Looks beautiful! I actually drive my cars to the track, race and then drive them home. The true American Dream at one point in time.
The Leaf had issues because the batteries weren't properly cooled. Used Teslas have very little degradation. 200k miles from a battery is no problem unless something unusual goes wrong. 20% loss? What's your source. From what I've seen, 20% battery loss is a bit high even at 100k miles.

I'm not surprised that you're getting your info from YouTube.
If I'm not getting info from YouTube then where should I get it from? Manufacturer websites? Dealerships? The Government? :facepalm:
I always look for the most independent sources of data. I watch independent videos and read independent articles.
People who bought Tesla Model 3's to use for Ride Sharing that are now needing to replace them after 120k miles are what? Liars? They have made it up?
People who bought Ford Lightnings and had them break in only months after charging systems shorted out or batteries degraded rapidly and now Ford can't fix them or have their truck for months are what? Also liars? Plants from Big gas?
Everything is fake but the government narrative right? If it isn't going along with the government narratives about a topic then any challengers to such information using independent experiences and facts are just "making things up" or "propagandists" or what?

I've been looking into buying a LEAF for the past 6 weeks now and the number of them with used up batteries is pretty insane. In fact it got so bad that the newer LEAFs don't actually show your degradation as much on the dashboard (the cars have been made to be less honest) as the original ones did because the batteries still degrade... I just spoke to a guy this week who wanted to sell me his 2019 SL Plus with 48k miles and he has 92% battery health... he has only ever fast-charged 7 times and he tries to take care of his battery...
Talked to another dealer in Atlanta who has the cheapest LEAF in the country; 2018 SV and it has over 20% battery degradation @ 104k miles. Another guy with a 2021 S Plus w/ 108k miles and it has over 15% battery degradation. This guy even spent his time to try to take care of the car.... he does ride sharing and such but he tries to not fast charge and he keeps an eye on battery temps...
So sure can it go 200k Miles? YES
Will it go to 200k miles with anywhere near the original range or usefulness? NO
Does it lose HP/TQ over time as the battery degrades? YES
Meanwhile I have a 2004 G35 Coupe with 203k Miles that has better range than when it came from the factory and makes more HP & TQ than it came from the factory with. Using simple bolt on mods + a few things I fabbed myself (like an intake plenum & TB mount) and a Tune; the car is better than factory despite ~20 years into its service life.
Original engine, Replaced Transmission 20k Miles ago after It failed from years of drag racing...

I looked at a few Ford Mustang E and those have huge degradation issues too if you go to charge it somewhere.... some of them rapidly losing mileage in a short amount of time... also mileage itself is a total farce on an EV and there are tons of videos describing it. The mileage is a best case scenario for city driving at lower speeds... drive an EV @ 80mph and watch your battery just tank by more than 50% per mile (meaning that driving 100 miles can use 150-180 miles range). When people think of vehicle ranges; they don't apply it to city driving. They apply it to highway driving. Who drives hundreds of miles in a city at one time? Very few people. Basically you have to be a delivery service of some kind.
So people buy "extended range" and think they can take it on a trip.... NOPE not unless they want to spend half their time charging. Nevermind the REAL WORLD "public" charging experiences. TONS of videos on that too about how you can waste an entire day trying to get your car charged...

I can't forget IRMA in 2017 or Ian last year where there were tons of EV's parked all along the sides of the highways here in FL as people ran out of power "evacuating" and there were no chargers available for them to charge their cars. 99% of the cars littered everywhere were Tesla's. Especially since that is the brand that has sold the most "extended range" EV's. The name in and of itself is a total joke. You are trading your most precious asset (time, which you can never get back) to save a bit of money (a wildly variable asset that comes and goes all the time and can always be replaced).
Hard to tell which is more horrifying, the misplaced political manifesto or using the apostrophe for a plural. :eek:
You are a hyper-partisan individual so it makes sense that you would have no actual contribution to a topic outside of trying to make a discussion more political.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Listen here; I am in the market for a LEAF right now to do bidirectional charging with my Solar Grid I am working to put together.
The LEAF also has 8 years 100k warranty and they replace batteries that fall under 70% SOH during this time... however lots of cars are hitting this and all the EV companies are literally LOSING BILLIONS on their EV Ventures. Which is why they are also SLOWING EV PRODUCTION as I write this.
100k miles isn't alot for ANY VEHICLE. I literally own 5 cars with over 100k miles which are on the road basically every day. Most people I know have atleast 1 vehicle with 100k+ miles. The reality is that once the car hits 100k miles; its a paperweight. Nobody wants to buy it. For some of the older LEAFs that made it 8 years without hitting under 70% SOH;; they are also mostly worthless now... cars that were 35-45k that are now worth 4-7k.... Idk about you but for "regular people" who often sell or trade in their cars when they get new ones.... the depreciation on an EV is far larger than ANY BENEFIT they would have to the environment. This is especially once you factor in the costs of junking them and having them rot in graveyards all around the world after less than a decade. A typical gas vehicle has a service life of 25 years. EV's are looking to be 8 year vehicles.... and there are 8 year car loans. Look back at EV's from 8 years ago and you will barely find any of them with good batteries from ANY BRAND.
Lots of people trashed the LEAF; but other brands didn't fare any better. Its a battery after all.... it wears out over time and then the cost to replace it is astronomical.
Outside of hobbiest solar grid projects; there are NO USES for expended EV batteries. There is NO RECYCLING and there will NOT BE ANY FOR DECADES.
They just opened some of the first plants this year and they can process "UP TO 10000 batteries per year". Wow that is like not even 1 quarter of 1 major manufacturers car sales.... and what will they do with the over 250k EV's that currently have "depleted" or "less than useful" service lifes currently sitting around the planet?
Well it would take over 25 years at the current rate to process all the batteries sitting today, nevermind the tons of new ones made each year....

I'm not saying that EV's don't have a place in the world. However the idea of actually replacing gas vehicles is LAUGHABLE at best and totalitarian at worst.
Once you factor in the sense that you can literally not travel out of a certain area without needing a publicly provided charging area that is digitally controlled, has close monitoring and is mostly funded by the government; you can see the angle of totalitarian control placed into EVs.
After 2025 all vehicles in the USA have to have kill switches and biometric monitoring for "safety". Anyone who honestly thinks there is no political angle in the drive towards EVs needs to PAY ATTENTION to what governments everywhere are doing.

Looks beautiful! I actually drive my cars to the track, race and then drive them home. The true American Dream at one point in time.

If I'm not getting info from YouTube then where should I get it from? Manufacturer websites? Dealerships? The Government? :facepalm:
I always look for the most independent sources of data. I watch independent videos and read independent articles.
People who bought Tesla Model 3's to use for Ride Sharing that are now needing to replace them after 120k miles are what? Liars? They have made it up?
People who bought Ford Lightnings and had them break in only months after charging systems shorted out or batteries degraded rapidly and now Ford can't fix them or have their truck for months are what? Also liars? Plants from Big gas?
Everything is fake but the government narrative right? If it isn't going along with the government narratives about a topic then any challengers to such information using independent experiences and facts are just "making things up" or "propagandists" or what?

I've been looking into buying a LEAF for the past 6 weeks now and the number of them with used up batteries is pretty insane. In fact it got so bad that the newer LEAFs don't actually show your degradation as much on the dashboard (the cars have been made to be less honest) as the original ones did because the batteries still degrade... I just spoke to a guy this week who wanted to sell me his 2019 SL Plus with 48k miles and he has 92% battery health... he has only ever fast-charged 7 times and he tries to take care of his battery...
Talked to another dealer in Atlanta who has the cheapest LEAF in the country; 2018 SV and it has over 20% battery degradation @ 104k miles. Another guy with a 2021 S Plus w/ 108k miles and it has over 15% battery degradation. This guy even spent his time to try to take care of the car.... he does ride sharing and such but he tries to not fast charge and he keeps an eye on battery temps...
Will it go to 200k miles with anywhere near the original range or usefulness? NO
Meanwhile I have a 2004 G35 Coupe with 203k Miles that has better range than when it came from the factory and makes more HP & TQ than it came from the factory with. Using simple bolt on mods + a few things I fabbed myself (like an intake plenum & TB mount) and a Tune; the car is better than factory despite ~20 years into its service life.
Original engine, Replaced Transmission 20k Miles ago after It failed from years of drag racing...

I looked at a few Ford Mustang E and those have huge degradation issues too if you go to charge it somewhere.... some of them rapidly losing mileage in a short amount of time... also mileage itself is a total farce on an EV and there are tons of videos describing it. The mileage is a best case scenario for city driving at lower speeds... drive an EV @ 80mph and watch your battery just tank by more than 50% per mile (meaning that driving 100 miles can use 150-180 miles range). When people think of vehicle ranges; they don't apply it to city driving. They apply it to highway driving. Who drives hundreds of miles in a city at one time? Very few people. Basically you have to be a delivery service of some kind.
So people buy "extended range" and think they can take it on a trip.... NOPE not unless they want to spend half their time charging. Nevermind the REAL WORLD "public" charging experiences. TONS of videos on that too about how you can waste an entire day trying to get your car charged...

I can't forget IRMA in 2017 or Ian last year where there were tons of EV's parked all along the sides of the highways here in FL as people ran out of power "evacuating" and there were no chargers available for them to charge their cars. 99% of the cars littered everywhere were Tesla's. Especially since that is the brand that has sold the most "extended range" EV's. The name in and of itself is a total joke. You are trading your most precious asset (time, which you can never get back) to save a bit of money (a wildly variable asset that comes and goes all the time and can always be replaced).
YouTube is a wasteland. It's like trusting what you read on reddit, twitter, and tiktok. All the algorithms focus on popularity. Quality is a negative factor. I have heard what you have said before from others, getting the truth from independent sources. This is literally going to charlatans and fakers for your information. You ought to cut it out and go to trusted sources instead, which are generally peer reviewed articles and actual authorities connected to genuine institutions.

A leaf for bidirectional at home is awesome if it's available to you. The newest leafs may have liquid battery cooling.

An EV isn't for everyone. I know that. It's for most people most of the time, though. If I lived in a place where going really far because there's a hurricane was an issue, I'd move somewhere else. Even so, my shortest range EV driven cautiously can do 230 miles. That's enough to get out of the way of a storm. Not like people didn't run out of gas.

Your ideas on how quickly batteries degrade are just false. Figure 20% over 7 years and 100k miles is a mediocre battery. Most won't drop nearly that much. There's usually some few percent drop in the first few months and then a long, long plateau.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

You are a hyper-partisan individual so it makes sense that you would have no actual contribution to a topic outside of trying to make a discussion more political.
Man, just put down the pipe and back away.

There was no issue in Ian or Irma. Some lawmaker down there imagined there might be in the future.

sam_adams

Major Contributor
Some one, some where, some time had stuffed a V8 in the rear-end of a LeCar...

Yep. Some dumbass did waste his time and money doing that.

When you start with the following baseline . . . you can stuff a mini-turbo jet in one, then it just becomes an insult to the jet engine!

Unless it was done with meeting homologation rules for a sanctioning racing body in mind. Hence the R5 Turbo.

None of the CPR ever held traction in the States and hence my original question-full post << unresolved.

Mostly because of the signal stalk on the righthand side of the steering column. Do you remember the Peugeot 505 Turbo TV adds from the 1980es? Would you buy that car based on that ad? Most Americans were confused about anything European—let alone French—during that time save for those who had some passing familiarity with 'foreign' cars thanks to Car and Driver or Road and Track. Les courses du dimanche se vendent le lundi, worked just as well for Renault in France and Europe as it did for Ford, or Chrysler, or Chevrolet in the US.

As-far-as Peugeot was concerned at the time, the 504 and the 505 were some of the most popular cars entered in the Paris-DaKar rally. You could purchase one of those in France, drive to Marseille and get the car on a boat to Algiers, Morocco, drive the car across the continent to Sudan and sell it at twice the price you paid for it in France. That was how desirable those cars were outside of France.

When it comes to gripes about the French, I have none. In my brief visits to to France over the years I have come to know most Citizens of the Fifth Republic as warm and friendly people who—when you show genuine interest and respect for their culture, their language, and their patriotism to their republic—are some of the nicest people you will ever meet on the continent of Europe.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I knew someone with a Peugeot 505 diesel. Maybe 1988 or 1989. Wasn't fast. Was a really good car. Very comfortable to ride in, never had any trouble with it. Very nice car for long trips. Nothing flashy or impressive, but since they were unpopular available cheap with low mileage. Which is why my friend who was a government accountant bought it.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't live here so STFU.
You weren't here when there was no power for weeks and Tesla's littered about... People asking others to park their tesla at their house with their portable chargers so they can get some battery % in their cars...
You weren't at the auto auctions and salvage yards with the thousands of electric cars that were dead because they got wet in the storm...

This used to be a forum with people who had actual brains and could have real discussions and actually brainstorm topics. Instead it's become filled with lots of sheepish followers unable to think outside of the mainstream narratives pushed by governments and large companies. Pathetic.
So Ian caused 350,000 totaled vehicles in Florida mostly due to flooding. Fire is a legit concern with flooded EVs. Seems the thousands at auction had lots of ICE company at those auctions. I have relatives in Florida including a service manager at a car dealership. They were asked to work on a few Teslas after the flooding. They turned most of the business down because they were overwhelmed working on ICE cars from the flooding. Teslas were hard for them as a non-Tesla service center to get parts for which is another reason they declined the business.

I'm sorry that I cannot be co-opted into whatever world you are living in. My limited experience with EVs wasn't from any narratives pushed by anyone other than Tesla and Hyundai owners.

Axo1989

Major Contributor

Obvious projection. I asked for the extreme political content to be removed. You were the one posting it. See how that works?

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Unless you have driven this little beastie:
View attachment 326771
you don't know Renault. The neck-snapping, eyeball-crushing acceleration from a turbocharged 1.4L was amazing.

Yes, great car. We can add Alpine and Matra to the fun French car list too. Bugatti was French originally of course.

2019-renault-alpine-a110-placement2-1546446429.jpg

The only thing I never got used to with French cars was the turn signal stalk on the right side of the steering column.

I once had a French car with indicators controlled by a non self-cancelling rocker on the instrument pod. Crazy at first. But now, every time my (German) car cancels the indicator prematurely I miss the crazy.

It was a Citroën, so lots of crazy, almost all of it good. Sadly, not an SM but I can still dream.

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Everything you see that doesn't fit up your narrow alley you consider to be "extreme political content" but you are hyper partisan and the most political person I've met on the net in quite a long time.

This is a science forum about objectivity. We need to stay objective about what is happening in any topic and not become overly emotional and political like that axo guy.

Indeed, which is why the sentence I originally quoted is no longer in your post. You appear to be tossing unjustified insults at all sorts of people (and responding appears to encourage you) so I'm going to leave you to it.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Everything you see that doesn't fit up your narrow alley you consider to be "extreme political content" but you are hyper partisan and the most political person I've met on the net in quite a long time.

Because you have family in FL and know a service manager you somehow think you can speak like you live here or know? Sure Ian caused lots of flooding everywhere, that will cause issues no matter what. However, I live here and I am a car enthusiast.
I've seen all the sides of EVs in the last years and the disasters they have caused with the hurricanes in specific due to not being able to charge them.
EVs only really work when you can charge them from home basically always and don't plan to use them to venture too far from your house.
Since I grew up in Miami and lived there most of my life; I have plenty of experience with people who have bought these vehicles over the past years. They actually work pretty well in a gridlock city like Miami as long as you understand their limitations and don't think they can replace gas cars.

It just seems that people are too easily triggered and can't actually read or use their brains. So any information that goes against what they were told to believe is automatically to be discarded.
I know people who absolutely adore their tesla's and think that sitting in chargers and wasting their time is "amazing". I even know people who take more than a day to travel short distances because they have to keep stopping to charge and think it's perfectly acceptable because they are "saving gas".
I even know people who have been through 2-3 motors on their tesla's and have been stranded on the side of the road for hours who think their cars are "the best ever".
As this forum is one based on science; I focus on facts and data rather than people's beliefs about "what is good" or not. Otherwise this forum has no need to exist as there are tons of people who have trash measuring audio products with poop-class sound that swear by them up and down and will tell you they are "the best ever".

This is some viral short. Has nothing to do with actual EV shortcomings as I mentioned. Mixing the two is silly at best and idiotic at worst.
This is a science forum about objectivity. We need to stay objective about what is happening in any topic and not become overly emotional and political like that axo guy.
You know I'll bow out after this.

You are simply stating as fact complete falsehoods. Like taking short trips and spending a day doing it because of charging. I've been in trips in Teslas and what you say is quite simply false. Been there done that, and you are full of it. What you are describing did not happen. So none of your ranting is going to make me disbelieve what I've experienced. You clearly have a huge prejudice against EVs and you aren't going to let anybody change that. I think it is clear who is triggered here. It is not me, it is not Axo1989, and not Ken Tajalli. What we believe doesn't come from what anyone told us to believe. Something you keep throwing in out of the blue when people who have used EVs haven't seen any of the things you keep stating.

I would like to own an EV soon. Has nothing to do with what I've been told is good. I don't care whether it pollutes less or not, has any green angle or not or any of that. I've ridden and driven them and they are simply a better version of a car in several ways. Not in all ways and not without differences vs what is available. This form of an automobile does have some nice advantages. That is why I think they are good.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem with EVs in general is battery wear. You really have to try to take care of the battery in order for it to last for a long time. Just take a look at used Nissan Leaf and used Tesla models... Tesla does everything they can to hide the battery degredation but it is still there... many cars with a few years of use are at 20% of battery degredation....

Electric cars can serve a purpose for driving in cities, especailly at lower speeds. I myself am looking to find a reasonably priced LEAF to be able to use with a Solar Grid I am working on building (since it has bidirectional charging) and to offset some miles from my gas cars if gas prices spike again.... which they might with all the "WW3" nonsense going on.

At the end of the day; EV's cannot replace gas cars. In order for EVs to get near GAS / Diesel (ICE) vehicles; radically new battery technology needs to be developed and all power plants need to be switched to Nuclear. Electric vehicles currently only work for people who don't drive that much and charge them from home.
If you don't believe me just go take a look at a few of the hundreds of Youtube videos from people who used EV's for Ridesharing and such and see the horrible degredation over a couple years... 120k miles on an EV and the battery is usually toast.
Only people who don't drive that much, don't charge to full, don't do long trips, don't drive too fast are the ones who can benefit from EVs.
Longer highway trips cause additional battery load, battery heat, etc
When it is cold outside the batteries have to be heated and when it is really hot; the batteries have to be cooled (to an extent).
Some early EVs didn't have good battery management but this is rare nowadays. It does make some used EVs a risky buy.

Charging at home and only charging to 100% just before a long journey and otherwise leaving it between 20 and 80% leads to negligible deterioration.
It does require a bit of knowledge to exploit optimally and plenty of people seem either to not want to know or be too old to learn anything new.

Only using super fast charging does reduce battery life, so not only much more convenient but also better to charge at home.

There is no doubt EVs aren't for everybody but the main problem here in the UK and it seems from what I read there in the USA has been a pityful lack of investment in charging stations.
I have an aquaintance who lives in Dublin who does road trips in his EV. He takes a ferry to Holyhead in Wales then drives through Wales and England to the Channel Tunnel then on across the continent and last winter he drove up to the Arctic circle in Norway to see the Northern Lights. The only part of his journey where he has any trouble charging, basically too few, is the UK part. All the European countries have better infrastructure. Even in the Scandinavian winter he had no problems with either his EV or charging it.

I suppose with the massive US oil companies and, to an extent the North Sea oil we have here too, the political power and wealth of the oil lobby and the misinformation they have been spreading for decades has hurt infrastructure investment. :(

Anyway back to the battery FWIW.
My daughter now uses the Prius I bought in 2005. It still has the original traction hybrid battery - obviously managed by the car's onboard management software. It has needed a 12V lead acid auxilliary battery every 5 or 6 years even though the petrol engine is started by the traction battery so the 12V only powers lights, radio, central locking and the controllers.

I admit my choice of an EV was more driven by how much better they are to drive, no clutch, wide power band, instant throttle response and virtually silent leads to a great driving experience.
I have kept a V8 sports car with 3 pedals and a 6 speed manual 'box but apart fron the noise - which is fun on short trips wearying on long ones - it is less appealing than the EV to drive.

Top Bottom