• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should we (I) get into speaker testing & measurement

Should we get into proper speaker measurements?

• Yes

Votes: 247 76.5%
  • Yes, but do it later.

Votes: 30 9.3%
  • No. Stay with Electronics.

Votes: 46 14.2%

• Total voters

Audiocrusader

The point at which you replied to my comment with a quote that includes my username, is the point where you said my name.

I understand that you keep bringing up this psychological phenomena of humans. I don't see why it's appropriate or relevant here at this time.

It's extremely relevant as it's the issue that causes 100% of the resistance towards active speakers.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Yeah why try to push the envelope, and achieve a higher standard excellence. And at the same time lower cost and clutter. I can see some potential for an active speaker only forum. No luddites allowed.
Yeah why try to push the envelope, and achieve a higher standard excellence. And at the same time lower cost and clutter. I can see some potential for an active speaker only forum. No luddites allowed.

From the heart. Aorta do something about it. :rolleyes:

Audiocrusader

Why? I am not waiting for people to come up with $70K to get this system. If I get it, day one I will be writing the check. So every dollar donated now will help with that.
Well I wanted to see how things would go. so far it seems there's way too much close-mindedness in this forum towards pretty much every topic. A luddite free zone would do wonders. But not sure if anyone would visit.

Wombat

Master Contributor
It's called explaining the actual problem in accurate terms. If you don't feel that describes you, then you shouldn't be so defensive. People who have a high self esteem, and self confidence, would not get defensive when they hear talk of a mental issue that is more than well known in the scientific community. Once again I'll share this slide show. Watch it this time:

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/belie...h-u9xsf8JUNMVWYmMDthoJv60mZE5SYd0LiRRtK_Efo3E

Another mental issue well known to science is NPD.

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm : How much of the donations now do you expect will be going towards this speaker measurement project, vs other things? Despite the large "Donations" section at the top of the page, I didn't notice this option until this discussion just now. I'm going to do my part to help now.

Wombat

Master Contributor
It's extremely relevant as it's the issue that causes 100% of the resistance towards active speakers.

You keep saying this ad nauseum. After repeated requests to verify it, you have yet to do so. Now that is resistance.

Audiocrusader

You keep saying this ad nauseum. After repeated requests to verify it, you have yet to do so. Now that is resistance.

Intelligent people understand. And that's all that matters. Not everyone needs spoon fed. So I suggest conducting some of your own research.

nhunt

Again, did Amir ever say he wouldn't measure active speakers? What do active speakers have to do with this topic at all?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I'm not sure why @Audiocrusader feels it is necessary or productive to keep accusing people of having "handicapping mental walls", lacking "mental strength", and expressing how much he looks forward to boomers etc. to die and be replaced ("the only cure is new blood").

Interpreting his posts as generously as humanly possible, even then I don't see the justification: I don't see anyone here close-mindedly dismissing active speakers. But even if there were, that's still no excuse for bad behavior like this.

Statements like these lie somewhere on the spectrum spanning extreme rudeness and outright trolling. At the very least, they do not contribute to productive, civil, professional discussion.
With his continued aggressive and just plain rude responses I have to say I agree with your perspective here.

I can sometimes be blunt to the point of being interpreted as rude but this is another level.

I hoped trying a moderate reasoned reply might calm him down a bit but I fear not.

Last edited:

BillW

Forum Donor
FWIW I've donated to the jar. Thanks to all who participate here,

Bill.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
And very few have the mental strength to allow change after decades of exposure to audiophilia.

I have passives.

I have actives.

I use them in the same room interchangeably, though I find the passive setup is superior for critical listening, and actives more economical to operate, until I twist the volume knob to the right, then the passive setup is subjectively better. Like right now.

What's the problem?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Intelligent people understand. And that's all that matters. Not everyone needs spoon fed. So I suggest conducting some of your own research.
I understand but I still find your approach unnecessary and aggressive.

I can assure that the membership here won't put up with it. You will end up on ignore for many very quickly and end up with a ban if it's not toned down.

Audiocrusader

I have passives.

I have actives.

I use them in the same room interchangeably, though I find the passive setup is superior for critical listening, and actives more economical to operate, until I twist the volume knob to the right, then the passive setup is subjectively better. Like right now.

What's the problem?

No problem at all. If you're among the crowd open enough to embrace active speakers then obviously you're not among the folks I was referring to. I've conducted years of research, as well as talked about this with dozens of manufacturers. And 100% are all on the same page. So anyone offended by reality should use the ignore feature.

Audiocrusader

I understand but I still find your approach unnecessary and aggressive.

I can assure that the membership here won't put up with it. You will end up on ignore for many very quickly and end up with a ban if it's not toned down.

All I've said is not aggressive in the least. I'm cool, and calm. Not personally attacking anyone. Only sharing facts. However this is not the case I'm seeing from others. I'm seeing constant personal attacks directed towards me. So is this some sort of reverse psychology you're trying to pull?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Well I wanted to see how things would go. so far it seems there's way too much close-mindedness in this forum towards pretty much every topic. A luddite free zone would do wonders. But not sure if anyone would visit.
Well you know the answer if that's your view. In the same tone you are sending, you can sod off then can't you.

We don't need you clustering threads with garbage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Audiocrusader

Well you know the answer if that's your view. In the same tone you are sending, you can sod off then can't you.

We don't need you clustering threads with garbage.

Is that the sort of language that's promoted on this forum? Who's the one being aggressive?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
All I've said is not aggressive in the least. I'm cool, and calm. Not personally attacking anyone. Only sharing facts. However this is not the case I'm seeing from others. I'm seeing constant personal attacks directed towards me. So is this some sort of reverse psychology you're trying to pull?

No people are reacting to your provocative tone and comments.

Last edited:

Audiocrusader

No people are reacting to your tone and comments.

My tone is cool and calm. And my comments are just accurately describing the reason for the resistance against active speakers. Afraid nobody's gonna buy yours now or something?

Audiocrusader

No its not, but you needed a blunt response to your rude and unjustified comments.

If you think we are Luddite and this forum isn't extreme enough for you the simply go away.

The handful of 5-6 luddites who have a problem with reality so far only consist of about 0.008% of the membership. So speak for yourself. There's an ignore button for a reason.

Top Bottom