• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should we (I) get into speaker testing & measurement

Should we get into proper speaker measurements?

• Yes

Votes: 247 76.5%
  • Yes, but do it later.

Votes: 30 9.3%
  • No. Stay with Electronics.

Votes: 46 14.2%

• Total voters

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Well I wanted to see how things would go.
I did too. I was sure you would not come through with the donation. Had bet behind the scenes with someone on this and I won. ;):)

so far it seems there's way too much close-mindedness in this forum towards pretty much every topic. A luddite free zone would do wonders. But not sure if anyone would visit.
Nah. It is fun to push back on people like you who are not here to solve a problem, but to just argue without common sense. After all, we don't even have the measurement system and you are having a fight as to what we should measure with it?

BTW, are you a fan of amplifiers with upside down heatsinks? You seem to be the type. ;)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm : How much of the donations now do you expect will be going towards this speaker measurement project, vs other things? Despite the large "Donations" section at the top of the page, I didn't notice this option until this discussion just now. I'm going to do my part to help now.
Oh, thank you so much for the kind and very generous donation! Much appreciated.

No, I have not started a specific campaign for this project yet. I was just calling the other poster on his empty proposal.

That said, all of these donations go toward building my confidence to make the up front investment to buy this measurement system.

Thanks again.

Audiocrusader

I did too. I was sure you would not come through with the donation. Had bet behind the scenes with someone on this and I won. ;):)

Nah. It is fun to push back on people like you who are not here to solve a problem, but to just argue without common sense. After all, we don't even have the measurement and you are having a fight as to what we should measure with it?

BTW, are you a fan of amplifiers with upside down heatsinks? You seem to be the type. ;)

No fighting from my end. Just sharing some critical facts of issues plaguing the industry. I don't need to see the measurement results here, because I already know the results. I was just hoping someone could have enough influence to enlighten the audiophile community. You know yourself everything I'm saying is true. But you'll never admit it publicly as you'll risk losing many members.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, thank you so much for the kind and very generous donation! Much appreciated.

No, I have not started a specific campaign for this project yet. I was just calling the other poster on his empty proposal.

That said, all of these donations go toward building my confidence to make the up front investment to buy this measurement system.

Thanks again.

No problem! I’ve already recieved so much value from this site (thanks to the invaluable measurements published), that it‘s worth it whether or not you do end up measuring speakers :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
No fighting from my end. Just sharing some critical facts of issues plaguing the industry. I don't need to see the measurement results here, because I already know the results.
You are a darn genius:

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I was just hoping someone could have enough influence to enlighten the audiophile community. You know yourself everything I'm saying is true. But you'll never admit it publicly as you'll risk losing many members.
I know someone who used to have a review site, praising everything that was loaned to him for free. I challenged him on the wrong design of one of the amplifiers he was promoting and he went nuclear. Shouted profanities at me and others. He went on and on. No common sense beyond not understanding engineering.

I recently looked and his website is still there but frozen in time for the last few years. Seems like his run of getting free gear to promote finished.

Hypothetically speaking, if he were here, you would advise me to not listen to him on such topics as losing members and such. Correct?

Wombat

Master Contributor
My tone is cool and calm. And my comments are just accurately describing the reason for the resistance against active speakers. Afraid nobody's gonna buy yours now or something?

Your posts are filled with passive and benign aggression.

Audiocrusader

I know someone who used to have a review site, praising everything that was loaned to him for free. I challenged him on the wrong design of one of the amplifiers he was promoting and he went nuclear. Shouted profanities at me and others. He went on and on. No common sense beyond not understanding engineering.

I recently looked and his website is still there but frozen in time for the last few years. Seems like his run of getting free gear to promote finished.

Hypothetically speaking, if he were here, you would advise me to not listen to him on such topics as losing members and such. Correct?

Ahh so you figure I'm that douchebag Andre Mark or whoever he is. Sorry poor guess. Do you really think he would be all for active speaker, and Purifi drivers?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No fighting from my end. Just sharing some critical facts of issues plaguing the industry. I don't need to see the measurement results here, because I already know the results. I was just hoping someone could have enough influence to enlighten the audiophile community. You know yourself everything I'm saying is true. But you'll never admit it publicly as you'll risk losing many members.
Let us say Amir starts measuring and finds almost any active speaker obliterates performance of any passive. My opinion of the number of members he loses? About zero. Members he picks up? Hard to say, but lots. His showing some very affordable DACs are surprisingly good quickly gained new members for ASR.

You aren't aware of how many of us like actives and see the benefits, and wonder why there aren't more of them. In fact wish there were more to choose from in more available configurations. You've constructed this straw man in your mind of the membership here, and it is effecting your ability to judge and participate usefully. Mainly because we don't immediately bow down to your pronouncement of how things will be. You mistake that reaction for being luddites and dimwits.

Plus, I'm pretty sure from experience the real world is messier and results won't be quite so black and white.

Audiocrusader

Let us say Amir starts measuring and finds almost any active speaker obliterates performance of any passive. My opinion of the number of members he loses? About zero. Members he picks up? Hard to say, but lots. His showing some very affordable DACs are surprisingly good quickly gained new members for ASR.

You aren't aware of how many of us like actives and see the benefits, and wonder why there aren't more of them. In fact wish there were more to choose from in more available configurations. You've constructed this straw man in your mind of the membership here, and it is effecting your ability to judge and participate usefully. Mainly because we don't immediately bow down to your pronouncement of how things will be. You mistake that reaction for being luddites and dimwits.

Plus, I'm pretty sure from experience the real world is messier and results won't be quite so black and white.

I don't think the results will scare people off. But I also don't think they will change. A few might. Like under 10%. And he may continue to get younger blood into the forum via the headphone crowd. So it could be a successful venture.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think the results will scare people off. But I also don't think they will change. A few might. Like under 10%. And he may continue to get younger blood into the forum via the headphone crowd. So it could be a successful venture.
I'm pretty sure you are wrong. You seem sure people aren't going to change. I think in this group of forums many more than in most forums will use new data and make purchase decisions and system changes accordingly. You see it mentioned fairly often with the limited amount of measurement reviews that have been done already.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Yeah you're right. And very few have the mental strength to allow change after decades of exposure to audiophilia. Self handicapping mental walls are hard to break down. Unfortunately it's a sad state of affairs in which the only cure is new blood.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Your

Your last post is like many of your previous ones.

I don't think …………………….. But ……………… might ……………. like ………………..may …………………….. could be.

You don't come over as self assured. Too many weasel words.

Audiocrusader

I'm pretty sure you are wrong. You seem sure people aren't going to change. I think in this group of forums many more than in most forums will use new data and make purchase decisions and system changes accordingly. You see it mentioned fairly often with the limited amount of measurement reviews that have been done already.

Active speakers aren't new technology. Enough research has been conducted to know these people won't change. If not all speaker manufacturers would drop all their passive speakers.

Audiocrusader

Your

Your last post is like many of your previous ones.

I don't think …………………….. But ……………… might ……………. like ………………..may …………………….. could be.

You don't come over as self assured. Too many weasel words.

I didn't make it to your ignore list yet? Why afraid you'd miss me?

Top Bottom