• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I get a DAC to replace my dedicated sound card?

Thunder

I currently have a Sound BlasterX AE-5 in my gaming PC and I'm thinking about if it's worth it to replace my sound card with an external DAC and headphone amp or DAC/headphone amp combo to get a better sound quality.

Last edited:

bcall

Taking a quick look through some measurements posted at reference-audio-analyzer.pro (Headphone Out port) I'd say it looks to be a very competent device:

- Flat frequency response out to nearly 19.5KHz
- Very low output impedance (1.1 Ohm)
- Pretty good output power (216mw @ 100 Ohm, 92mW at 300 Ohm)
- Distortion spikes below -105dB with 100 Ohm load, ~110dB at 300 Ohm
- Jitter distortion elements below -125dB (in Line-Out mode)

There seem to be no glaring faults or bad measurements to my eye (I'm definitely no expert), and with regards to whether you'd achieve better sound quality with a separate DAC/amp combo, I would have to say the answer is no. Save that $ and experiment with different headphones to really hear any sound differences.

It's a solid card, I would stick with it.

Last edited:

Svperstar

What kind of headphones do you have?

I used to use an X-Fi Elite Pro and it was a rock solid source, no need for a DAC, I did get an amp(Gilmore Lite original) for my Sennheisers.

If you are using gaming headsets little reason for an amp.

OP
Thunder

Thunder

What kind of headphones do you have?

I used to use an X-Fi Elite Pro and it was a rock solid source, no need for a DAC, I did get an amp(Gilmore Lite original) for my Sennheisers.

If you are using gaming headsets little reason for an amp.
I have the Sennheiser HD 600 but I don't use them pretty much, I always use my speakers which are the Edifier Edifier Studio R1280T

So basically, even if I'd get for example the Topping DX3 Pro DAC/Headphone Amp I wouldn't benefit from it very much, is that right?

And what about a speaker amp? Would I benefit from it? Btw I don't completely understand the use of a headphone/speaker amp, what are the advantatges of using one?

Thank you.

bcall

I have the Sennheiser HD 600 but I don't use them pretty much, I always use my speakers which are the Edifier Edifier Studio R1280T
Your Edifier speakers are powered speakers and have their own amp internally, so there's no need to supply a speaker amp for them.

One benefit of soundcards I like is you can have both your speakers and headphones plugged in at the same time, and switch your output via Windows. Many lower/mid cost DAC/amps require you to unplug headphones to output audio via the rear RCA ports (not all of them of course).

Top Bottom