• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After dimming it won't turn back on independently of what i do on my computer a part from playing MQA files?

Starting and stopping playing, or changing the sample rate on my PC doesn't cause the EX5 screen to light up. It appears that only direct operations on the EX5 itself make it wake up (via the volume/selector or remote)

wisechoice

Can someone explain to me why the EX5 is always in standby mode when it's powered on via a power strip? Even when it's receiving a signal? Maybe @JohnYang1997?

It's in optical mode connected to a Digiface USB with two other DACs. The EX5 is the only device that needs its own invitation to join the party…

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can someone explain to me why the EX5 is always in standby mode when it's powered on via a power strip? Even when it's receiving a signal? Maybe @JohnYang1997?

It's in optical mode connected to a Digiface USB with two other DACs. The EX5 is the only device that needs its own invitation to join the party…

Have you tried changing the automatic standby setting? ('Auto' button on the remote) Is it set to 'A-O'?

wisechoice

Have you tried changing the automatic standby setting? ('Auto' button on the remote) Is it set to 'A-O'?
Yeah, it didn’t change the behaviour. I think that setting only relates to whether the unit enters standby mode automatically after a certain period. Also, it comes on in standby mode whether it was in standby or not at the time it was shut off.

Ingy

I set up a pair of Genelec 8030C with an EX5 yesterday and encountered a slightly weird issue - when I used REW to run a sine sweep or play pink noise through a single speaker it worked fine with the left channel, but the right kept cutting out with a pop after three or four seconds of the sweep or pink noise, and wouldn't output sound afterwards until I played something through the left channel first. Initially I thought it might be a problem with the speaker going into protection (albeit at a relatively low SPL), but it still does it at very low volumes, and when I switched the other speaker to the right channel it had the same issue. I was able to work around it by running the sweep or pink noise through both speakers and shifting the balance all the way to the left or right in the Windows device settings, so I was wondering if it might just be something to do with the way I have REW set up rather than being indicative of a problem with my EX5. Has anyone experienced something similar?

MRC01

Major Contributor
As noted above, I rang out my EX5 with REW to measure a few simple things. In doing so, I ran it L+R, then L only, then R only, to see if it had any issues driving a single channel (like the SMSL device recently had). No problems, measurements were the same either way.

wisechoice

I’ve had a similar issue on the Mac with the Digiface USB. Playing music to the output from another app and then going back into REW solved the issue. You can try that.

Ingy

Thanks, but even trying that I'm still consistently getting the same behaviour. I've also since tried the EX5 connected to my laptop instead, which has an older version of REW and an older Topping driver (it runs Windows 7) with the same result, so I'm leaning towards it being a fault with my unit. I forgot to say that there's also a pop from the right speaker when I play something through the left speaker (even just through the left speaker) to get the right speaker working again, not sure if that makes it any easier to diagnose what's going on.

Edit: It does the same thing with the right channel of the headphone output as well.

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
Here's another EX5 measurement: sound quality over Bluetooth. This was from my Moto G7 Power phone, where I played back REW sweeps using USB Audio Player Pro. My phone has 2 codecs: "media" and "aptX". Summary: both codecs have the same frequency response. aptX has higher distortion but cleaner impulse response.

Note: Bluetooth measurements are much worse than digital inputs. I believe this is a limitation not of the EX5, but of the Bluetooth audio codecs which are lossy.

Frequency response is the same for both.. Here it is in blue for Bluetooth, Red for redbook (44-16 coax) for comparison, using Filter 6 which has the flattest response.
EX5-FR-BT-vs-44.png

Both Bluetooth codecs are -1 dB at 14.58 kHz and dropping sharply from there.

Harmonic distortion for the default "media" codec is below -60 dB or 0.1%.
EX5-THD-BT-media.png

Harmonic distortion for the aptX codec is about 20 dB or 10 times higher, nearly reaching -40 dB.
EX5-THD-BT-aptX.png

Impulse response was surprisingly different, given they have identical frequency & similar phase response.
First the default media codec:
EX5-Imp-BT-media.png

Next the aptX codec:
EX5-Imp-BT-aptX.png

Summary: Bluetooth is convenient and sounds OK for casual listening especially in noisy environments. But it is not transparent enough for critical / reference listening.

Last edited:

Sensation

I measured my EX5 with REW sweeps to 22.05 at 44.1 kHz with each of the 7 filters. The names and graphs in the EX5 documentation are indeed incorrect as they do not match their measured responses. Measured responses:
Filter19k20k22.05kphase
1-3.3-10-40+15, -150
20 / flat-1.5-240 / flat
3-3-5-14+24, -84
40 / flat-0.2-7+210, 0
5-2-3.6-90 / flat
60 / flat-0.3-100 / flat
70 / flat-0.3-100 / flat

Filter #2 is most correct. The manual calls it "slow minimum" but it is neither slow, nor minimum phase. Filters 6 and 7 were identical in my testing. They are a bit flatter and smoother than #2 in the passband, but they do not fully attenuate by Nyquist. The impulse responses were consistent with the phase; that is, the ones with flat phase had symmetric impulses, the others had asymmetric impulses.

For those who like pictures, here's what I measured:
View attachment 169087

Hello, is filter 2 the flattest among ex5 filters?

The filter is too difficult.

I have no idea what the function is.

I've always done it with filter 3.

Which filter is the flattest?

flat?

MRC01

Major Contributor
At 44.1 kHz sampling, filter 6 has the flattest and smoothest frequency response, and flat phase response. It measures identical to filter 7. However, filter 6 does not fully attenuate until 24.1 kHz, so it can leak some HF noise that could alias, but any aliasing would be above 20 kHz which should be benign.

Filter 2 is the flattest filter (both in frequency response, and in phase) that fully attenuates by 22.05, so there is no HF noise or aliasing. But Filter 2 is not quite as flat as 6, nor quite as smooth. However, Filter 2 is pretty darn flat and smooth, only -1.5 dB @ 20 kHz and its ripple is less than 0.1 dB.

IMO, filters 2 and 6 are equal candidates for the "best" most correct & transparent filter. They just make slightly different tradeoffs. These tradeoffs should not be audible, so which to pick depends on what you think is the worse evil.

PS: Filter 3 is one of the "worst", with significant attenuation below 20 kHz and non-flat phase response. If you prefer a minimum phase filter for whatever reason, then filter 4 is the best of that type.

Sensation

44.1kHz 샘플링에서 필터 6은 가장 평평하고 부드러운 주파수 응답과 평평한 위상 응답을 제공합니다. 필터 7과 동일한 측정값입니다. 그러나 필터 6은 24.1kHz로 완전히 감쇠되지 않으므로 앨리어싱될 수 있는 일부 HF 노이즈가 누출될 수 있지만 모든 앨리어스는 양성이어야 하는 20kHz 이상의 앨리어싱일 수 있습니다.

필터 2는 최대 22.05까지 완전히 감쇠되는 플랫 필터(주파수 응답 및 위상 모두)이므로 HF 노이즈나 앨리어스가 없습니다. 그러나 필터 2는 6만큼 평평하지 않지만 매끄럽지는 않습니다. 그러나 필터 2는 매우 평평하고 매끄 럽습니다. 1.5dB @ 20kHz이고 리플은 0.1dB 미만입니다.

IMO, 필터 2 및 6은 "가장 정확하고 투명한 필터"에 대한 동일한 후보입니다. 그들은 단지 약간 다른 절충안을 만듭니다. 이러한 절충안은 들어선 안 되므로 선택은 당신이 생각하는 더 나쁜 것에 달려 있습니다.

필터 3에서 가끔 바스락거리는 소리가 났습니다.

필터 2와 6을 선택하겠습니다. 감사합니다.

내 스피커는 3way kali-in5입니다.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
That's really interesting to see how a computer translated my quote. The translation is mostly accurate, but not 100%.
You got the right conclusion!

MRC01

Major Contributor
Filter 1 made an occasional rustling sound.

Let's select filters 2 and 6. thank you.

my speaker is 3way kali-in5

Filter 1 has a lot of passband attenuation. It may be audible in content having lots of HF energy, makes it sound slightly dull, with transients less crisp. I don't hear a "rustling" sound, but we all perceive a bit differently. It is one of the worst filters though; I would not recommend it.

Sensation

Filter 1 has a lot of passband attenuation. It may be audible in content having lots of HF energy, makes it sound slightly dull, with transients less crisp. I don't hear a "rustling" sound, but we all perceive a bit differently. It is one of the worst filters though; I would not recommend it.

Same for 3 times.

2 and 6 seem to be the best.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Yes, indeed, I would not recommend #3 either.
Some people prefer minimum phase filters. If so, use Filter #4, which is the best of the minimum phase filters.
In summary:
Filter 2 or 6 is the best overall (either one, take your pick).
Filter 4 if you prefer minimum phase with causal/asymmetric transient impulse response.

Sensation

Yes, indeed, I would not recommend #3 either.
Some people prefer minimum phase filters. If so, use Filter #4, which is the best of the minimum phase filters.
In summary:
Filter 2 or 6 is the best overall (either one, take your pick).
Filter 4 if you prefer minimum phase with causal/asymmetric transient impulse response.

Oh minimum phase! Great for 3-way speakers!

Top Bottom