• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Share your in-room measurements?

YSC

Major Contributor
Needs subs-and it will be fine
seems only by adding a 7040 under my desk in the future and x over at some 110 hz will solve it completely and get pretty good in room response (7050 is too deep and will eat up my leg room so not consideration)

YSC

Major Contributor
Looks great for no DSP, imo.
Only thing I might want to improve is the 90hz room cancellation, I am thinking getting a 7040 in the future and the 85hz cross over should fix part of those and extend bass to 30hz maybe? Since my leg room was only 50cm from the wall it seems the thickest sub could only be around 25cm deep and almost no choice.

my husband quite surprised as my room is extremely small and in treated, with lots of stuffs beside the left speaker (which maybe why it’s bass response below 100hz is down by a lot, luckily bass don’t have localisation so combined output is spot on

Swoof

First time using REW to make measurements, I took 3 measurements at ear level along the length of my couch and averaged them. I manually typed the generated filters into Roon. I'm not sure exactly what I should be setting the pre-amp setting to, as the big +9dB 90.9Hz actually nets out to below 0dB in Roon. Overall change to sound is minimal, except now listening feeling more comfortable without the huge bass hump. I might go back and try to reduce 45hz hump by repositioning speakers. I'm in a small room and listening position is with a wall right behind me, and under a sloped ceiling.
2021-01-21 (2).png

I took this measurement tonight (1/24th smoothing) with Dirac 3 on. I'm fairly happy with the result, and it sounds good. The hole at 90hz is annoying, but I'm not sure it's something I can hear, or if it can even be fixed. Maybe a crossover setting, or mess with the time alignment for the sub a bit more?
Room Measurement with one 24th smoothing on Jan 25 2021.jpg

YSC

Major Contributor
I took this measurement tonight (1/24th smoothing) with Dirac 3 on. I'm fairly happy with the result, and it sounds good. The hole at 90hz is annoying, but I'm not sure it's something I can hear, or if it can even be fixed. Maybe a crossover setting, or mess with the time alignment for the sub a bit more? View attachment 108471
That likely can’t be heard as you don’t listen to sine waves so the mixture of tones named music would mask that.

but it does seems it’s a result of reflection cancellation while playing around with the only sub would likely move it to other frequencies and not mitigate it completely

That likely can’t be heard as you don’t listen to sine waves so the mixture of tones named music would mask that.

but it does seems it’s a result of reflection cancellation while playing around with the only sub would likely move it to other frequencies and not mitigate it completely
I appreciate the reply, and yeah, likely not something I'm able to hear when music is playing, like you said. Moving the hole around to different frequencies doesn't seem desirable, either. I think I'll enjoy these results for a while. This is by far the best sounding EQ Dirac has applied to my system so far, so I probably shouldn't be sweating the hole anyways.

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I took this measurement tonight (1/24th smoothing) with Dirac 3 on. I'm fairly happy with the result, and it sounds good. The hole at 90hz is annoying, but I'm not sure it's something I can hear, or if it can even be fixed. Maybe a crossover setting, or mess with the time alignment for the sub a bit more? View attachment 108471
  1. Is this a single point measurement?
  2. Try +5dbs (at least) at 20-50Hz

YSC

Major Contributor
I appreciate the reply, and yeah, likely not something I'm able to hear when music is playing, like you said. Moving the hole around to different frequencies doesn't seem desirable, either. I think I'll enjoy these results for a while. This is by far the best sounding EQ Dirac has applied to my system so far, so I probably shouldn't be sweating the hole anyways.
Only way to
if you have the time and effort you can try to tackle it by this (assume you have a 2.1):

1) move the main monitors as close to wall as possible (like genelec suggest 5cm from wall, min required to let port work), so the dip is pushed into the front beaming mids

2) set the cross over of sub at 80 or 85hz so the 90hz is taken over by main monitors without the reflection.

but it can be the front wall or side wall or even floor/ceiling cancellation... room modes is likely unable to be tamed completely.

Only way to

if you have the time and effort you can try to tackle it by this (assume you have a 2.1):

Yes, 2.1, and I have the effort, and will find the time.

1) move the main monitors as close to wall as possible (like genelec suggest 5cm from wall, min required to let port work), so the dip is pushed into the front beaming mids

I've seen this before, and wonder if any toe in is used when doing this? I've always used toe in using the app SpeakerPro on my phone. Anyways, I'll give this a shot.

2) set the cross over of sub at 80 or 85hz so the 90hz is taken over by main monitors without the reflection.

Crossover currently set at 80hz for both mains and monitors. Maybe some overlap between the two is needed? Thanks again for the help.

but it can be the front wall or side wall or even floor/ceiling cancellation... room modes is likely unable to be tamed completely.

YSC

Major Contributor
it sounds like the 90hz dip now is by either interference from your main monitors just like my setup which have exactly the same dip which I can't rectify. (As I didn't notice it I dun bother, and I don't have DSP to deal with it anyway), if so it seems like you can try cross over higher at 100hz to see if that will be fixed? if your sub placement is ok it should not have the dip there

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
@portlandsounds don't use single point measurements.
Try MMM or 5-6 averaged measurements 30-50cm at and around the listening position, one speaker at a time and then both.

And yes, try boosting bass through Dirac

Thank to you both for the advice. I'll try a XO at 100hz. That makes sense. And Dimifoot, yes, I'll post some measurements after I've made the MMM measurements of each speaker like you suggest. I'm also going to try boosting by 5db 20-50hz.

Thank to you both for the advice. I'll try a XO at 100hz. That makes sense. And Dimifoot, yes, I'll post some measurements after I've made the MMM measurements of each speaker like you suggest. I'm also going to try boosting by 5db 20-50hz.
Ok, I made 4 measurements from 5 different positions near my listening position. These measurements include L, R, SW, and All Speakers. You can see them clumped together with 1/6 smoothing below, as well as their average in the second photo. The average has 1/24th smoothing. Bumping 20-50hz by 5db has been a revelation. These tests were taken using Dirac and the 5db bump from 20-50hz. The hole at 90hz seems to have disappeared, although I have a larger hole from 150-300hz. Can't complain, however, as things are sounding great!

Attachments

• 5 Position REW Test.jpg
    5 Position REW Test.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 125
  • Average of 5 position listening test with 1 24th smoothing.jpg
    Average of 5 position listening test with 1 24th smoothing.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 127

YSC

Major Contributor
Ok, I made 4 measurements from 5 different positions near my listening position. These measurements include L, R, SW, and All Speakers. You can see them clumped together with 1/6 smoothing below, as well as their average in the second photo. The average has 1/24th smoothing. Bumping 20-50hz by 5db has been a revelation. These tests were taken using Dirac and the 5db bump from 20-50hz. The hole at 90hz seems to have disappeared, although I have a larger hole from 150-300hz. Can't complain, however, as things are sounding great!
So the hole disappeared even without moving the cross over frequency?

I bumped 20-50hz by around 5db, so it may have something to do with that. But yes, the average of these measurements seems to indicate the hole is no longer.

I haven't tried changing the crossover yet because I couldn't redo the Dirac measurements today. The minidsp SHD does weird things when you change the crossover and apply it to previously set Dirac filters.

Dimifoot

Forum Donor

fun

Below is the measurement (var smoothing) of my setup. It's a 5.1 system, but the measurement is 2.1 (front left/right + sub) at listening position. No EQ and room treatment. How does it look to you guys? Would EQ (e.g. Audyssey), room treatment, dual-sub etc. help much?

View attachment 103737
Based on the feedbacks I received, I moved the subwoofer, added more bass to the tone control, and experimented with PEQ on my Mac. Here's the result (of the 2.1 setup in my HT) before EQ (after sub move and tone control change) and after EQ. The improved bass response is clearly audible. This convinces me that I need upgrade to an EQ-capable receiver for multi-channel setup, as I am still using a Rotel receiver from 2003 :)

EQ.jpg

Top Bottom