• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Share your in-room measurements?

seamon

Genelec G2 with UMIK-2 with and without EQ

G2 wo EQ.png

G2 w Room Correct EQ.png

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Recent discussions have got me thinking; is there a reason not to run multiple DRCs to correct the room? What would happen if I ran GLM first, and then ran Dirac with the already GLM corrected response? Presumably if Dirac couldn't do any better, it would leave it alone, and if it could further refine it would?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Like it wasn’t even there... and here I thought MMM can over-smoothen the FR sometimes. Kind of interesting. Maybe there’s just not enough spatial data points collected in these semi-automated correction software.
Usually not in the bass where the wavelengths are quite large, here an exemplary LP MMM vs sweep with no smoothing at all

1614148783370.png

and the same with var smoothing:

1614148845781.png

As it can be seen the room modes till transition frequency remain almost identically narrow/sharp.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Recent discussions have got me thinking; is there a reason not to run multiple DRCs to correct the room? What would happen if I ran GLM first, and then ran Dirac with the already GLM corrected response? Presumably if Dirac couldn't do any better, it would leave it alone, and if it could further refine it would?

I was wondering does GLM linearize phase the same way the MA-1 with a KH750 does for the non-DSP'd Neumann monitors? If not, then running Dirac afterwards might have some additional benefits. You will add extra processing delay, though.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
The Philharmonic BMRs in my office with Dirac correction up to 1.25KHz:
BMR Stereo Dirac to 1250Hz.png

The Revel F206s in my media room with Dirac correction up to 600Hz:
F206 Stereo Dirac to 600Hz.png

Those Revel F206s with Audyssey correction up to 1KHz with dual subs:
F206 Stereo Audyssey to 1KHz 112.png

I am quite pleased with both setups in all audio pathways at this point. These were all accomplished with custom target curves, some of which were a bit creative to nudge the software to get close to my preferred target.

Last edited:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Philharmonic BMRs in my office with Dirac correction up to 1.25KHz:
View attachment 115141

The Revel F206s in my media room with Dirac correction up to 600Hz:
View attachment 115140

Those Revel F206s with Audyssey correction up to 1KHz with dual subs:
View attachment 115148

I am quite pleased with both setups in all audio pathways at this point. These were all accomplished with custom target curves, some of which were a bit creative to nudge the software to get close to my preferred target.

Would you mind sharing your target curve?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Would you mind sharing your target curve?

Of course I don't mind sharing. I assume you mean my REW target (which I probably stole from someone else and modified to suit the dangly things on my melon )?

Code:
20 2
100 1
1000 0
10000 -4
20000 -8

Attachments

• Harman -10dB.txt
    41 bytes · Views: 101
Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
index.php

Wavelet spectrogram 1/6 res, 25dB scale

Few posts before, I mentioned how one doesn't really hear the null/node, nor the extended decay as a problem post my EQ boost around that prominent black hole; this already fills up nicely in the FR magnitude graphs.

And although the above is more the actual measured reality of the response when time is taken into account, if one views an exported minimum phase version of the IR -- after my somewhat unnecessary "strategic bass EQ" -- the wavelet spectrogram, interestingly, seems to be more representative of what one actually hears perceptually in the bass.

1614725406177.png

Well, now that looks like some magic 'hocus pocus' has been performed behind one's back! :D

---

If you're interested on how it's done:

In the File menu one can use "export" IR button and select the "Min phase version of IR" or...

1614726824311.png

Excess phase version was already flat -- *yep, after some more experimentation, seems like there's little to adjust.

So this is what those rePhase guides meant... No wonder why in my own random experiments, excessively flattening the phase wrecked the magnitude response around that null point.

Last edited:

Andysu

Major Contributor
Always tuning and enjoying it. But "they mostly come at night" for tuning. "Mostly."

three screen sweep.jpg

Sweep is with LCR all at same time using the Denon AVC-X8500H multi ch stereo mode. First sweep with SW off. screen channels are five JBL 4647 cinema bass cabs with 2380A cinema horns.

three screen SW sweep.jpg

Second sweep is with JBL 4645/C tuned on and had to nudge the crossover up on the DCX2496 as it was hardly showing on Sony SDDS D3000 level meters, tuned up to 40Hz at present experimenting with it at 20Hz. Oh I have the JBL 4682 TCB subs on as well x2 of them one at middle front the other behind the cinema seats back row.

JBL horns.jpg

JBL HF horns 2380A with 2445 CD.

JBL surrounds sweep.jpg

JBL 8330 mkII surround arrays along the sidewalls signal noise from REW was hardly indicating so had to turn the surround fader up a bit then put it back at normal operating level for the meantime that is as always eXperimenting.

JBL 4645 subs.jpg

JBL TCB sw.jpg

JBL 4682 TCB subs one is middle front behind the screen other is at back of the room behind the cinema seating.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Revel F12’s driven by a pair of B&K Reference 125.2 amps, biamped. These runs were lost in an unplanned reboot, so I can’t spread them out to show 5-dB gridlines.

REW trace 3-6 with EQ.JPG

I used a Yamaha YDP2006 in the processor loop of my Adcom GFP-565 preamp. I made five corrections in each channel, all at or below 300 Hz. I compensated for the boosting I did with and overall (slight) gain reduction, but my amps have plenty of headroom for boosting. I was just making sure I didn’t overdrive the amps’ inputs. The YDP2006 is a 20-bit digital/DSP parametric equalizer for the commercial sound market back in the late 90’s.

Rick “a starting point” Denney

Coach_Kaarlo

Another round of measurements, some more progress.

Huge cut with DIRAC to achieve the bass response from my F208's but have the headroom available and can still play at 95-100 dB if needed.

BEFORE V AFTER_FREQ.jpg

RED = NO DSP _DARK = BLUE MMA POST DSP.jpg

Still, as always, a bright space tho.

BEFORE.jpg

But slightly more consistent decay with DIRAC.
AFTER DSP.jpg

RED = NO DSP_RAINBOW = POST DSP_WATERFALL.jpg

Although outside looks like this - so not bothering to worry too much about treating the room.

OUTSIDE - SPECT.jpg

Zedly

Forum Donor
Today, I was working on recalibrating my system and took some fresh measurements of my Klipsch RP-280F towers and Klipsch RP-450C center speaker. Klipsch has a reputation for bright speakers with uneven frequency response (largely because of their Heritage line), but the RP-280F stays pretty flat, with just a touch of elevation in the top frequencies. The RP-450C is a more stereotypically Klipsch speaker, with a noticeably brighter top octave and a big dip between 1kHz and 2kHz (crossover is at 1.5 kHz), but relatively flat from 2k to 9k. When I play more this weekend, I'm going to see if I can get Audyssey to tame some of the excesses.

Klipsch RP-280F - In-Room.png

Klipsch RP-450C - In-Room.png

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Tied my new Arendal sub into the system, pleased with the result.
Unbenannt.png

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yup! This is with just 1 Cap 4000ULF in my 2400 cu ft family room that semi-opens up to the kitchen (2000 cu ft) and the rest of the house.
Can't complain about the sound. ;)

Similar to what I get with 2 RS2s. Also really impressive how smooth it is. You're really lucky to get that smooth of a response with just 1 sub. It's smoother than what I get with 2 :D.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tied my new Arendal sub into the system, pleased with the result.View attachment 121458

Nice! Really great smoothly declining curve from low to high. Bet it sounds great. I need to hear some Focal's; I'm interested in how the inverted dome sounds with that super wide dispersion from 5-10kHz.

Top Bottom