• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Setup Advice

R2R

Hey, first post here! don't want to waste too much of your guy's time on this, so I've tried to narrow down what I want and am just confirming that I'm making the optimal setup with my budget.

2.2 Setup for music and movies (50/50)

2x Neumann KH120ii + 2x Rythmik F12

I'm mostly unsure about the subwoofers as there is so many brands.

I will likely pair this with a MiniDSP Flex or Flex HT depending on whether I'd like an upgrade path.

Budget: 4-5k USD (roughly as I'm in Australia)

I do want to genuinely thank you guys and Amir for what I've learned. :)

Cheers!

Last edited:

ozzy9832001

Can't go wrong with a pair of Neumann speakers; they all sound great. Not really familiar with the subs, though a quick google shows they are servo. Seems like half your budget or more is spent on those 2 subs. Since the KH120ii are more a nearfield speaker, you probably could easily get away with just 1 sub. They go down pretty low already, so really the sub is only going to be filling out the bottom end. Are they mainly for music? or movies as well?

Have you given any thought to room treatments or anything of that nature? I'd say to really get the best out of your purchase, they are almost a must.

Reactions: R2R

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amp or AVR? AVR will have DSP and many additional features installed and option to add surround. Check out SVS subs also if they are down under. (pun)

OP
R2R

R2R

Can't go wrong with a pair of Neumann speakers; they all sound great. Not really familiar with the subs, though a quick google shows they are servo. Seems like half your budget or more is spent on those 2 subs. Since the KH120ii are more a nearfield speaker, you probably could easily get away with just 1 sub. They go down pretty low already, so really the sub is only going to be filling out the bottom end. Are they mainly for music? or movies as well?

Have you given any thought to room treatments or anything of that nature? I'd say to really get the best out of your purchase, they are
Hey!

They'd be for both music and movies. I do have the budget for two, though Rythmik subs are quite expensive here, so maybe I could get one now and buy a second later on.

The F12 is 2100 AUD each.

I haven't given in-depth thought to soundproofing, but I'd definitely need it as my ceilings are quite low and the room is relatively small. Would you have any recommendations? :)

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't given in-depth thought to soundproofing, but I'd definitely need it as my ceilings are quite low and the room is relatively small. Would you have any recommendations? :)
Soundproofing for low frequencies is very expensive and requires frame up renovations. Adding in some absorptive/damping panels and maybe more would be helpful if required and that sort of stuff can be easily wall and ceiling mounted.

OP
R2R

R2R

Amp or AVR? AVR will have DSP and many additional features installed and option to add surround. Check out SVS subs also if they are down under. (pun)
Hey, they definitely crossed my mind, but last time I checked, it was 3–4k AUD! to get one with the outs I needed.

(Do correct me.)

Ah yes, SVS was my first thought. They'd definitely been my first thought for my budget sake, but the Rythmiks infrasonic performance is pulling me.

I was fighting myself to not say G'day at the start of this response :facepalm:

OP
R2R

R2R

Soundproofing for low frequencies is very expensive and requires frame up renovations. Adding in some absorptive/damping panels and maybe more would be helpful if required and that sort of stuff can be easily wall and ceiling mounted.
Oh, then I'll definitely have a look at getting some and maybe some bass traps!

I think I will leave that for the future, as I still have to see how the speakers respond to the room and even where the best place to put them is! :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, then I'll definitely have a look at getting some and maybe some bass traps!

I think I will leave that for the future, as I still have to see how the speakers respond to the room and even where the best place to put them is! :)
With a rectangular room placing the speakers along the long wall divided into thirds is usually a good place to start. then widen and narrow the triangle between you and the speakers for the best imaging. After that comes EQ/PEQ and then room treatment.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey, they definitely crossed my mind, but last time I checked, it was 3–4k AUD! to get one with the outs I needed.

(Do correct me.)

Ah yes, SVS was my first thought. They'd definitely been my first thought for my budget sake, but the Rythmiks infrasonic performance is pulling me.

I was fighting myself to not say G'day at the start of this response :facepalm:
Okay, this may be of interest as you are ogling mindsp. Makes the install compact and unified with a ton of bonus features.

ozzy9832001

Hey!

They'd be for both music and movies. I do have the budget for two, though Rythmik subs are quite expensive here, so maybe I could get one now and buy a second later on.

The F12 is 2100 AUD each.

What are the dimensions of the room?

OP
R2R

R2R

These are the very rough dimensions:

7m x 4m x 2m (L-W-H)
Or
23ft x 13ft x 6.5ft (L-W-H)

I could try make some floor plans?

Last edited:

ozzy9832001

These are the very rough dimensions:

7m x 4m x 2m (L-W-H)
Or
23ft x 13ft x 6.5ft (L-W-H)

I could try make some floor plans?
I wouldn't consider that room small. Mine is only 9.5x11.5x8' and it works fine. The low ceiling may or may not be a minor issue. Modal issues will occur higher up in the spectrum but they are easier to treat. However, because of the lower ceiling, traditional panels may take too much away from the height (unless you are shorter than 6'). Depending on placement and your seating height, it may not be an issue as all.

If you have the time and all, I'd recommend getting a UMIK-1 mic and taking some measurements and after you get the speakers. Will give you a good idea of where the best listening position is.

It can be a bit of an adventure to get things setup, but you will gain so much more from proper speaker placement than anything else. It's worth the time investment.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any interest in DIY? Don't know what your options down under are in that respect, but seems unless you have some particular finish requirements that it'd be a good alternative for the money (considering your own time/effort on the free side, tho)

OP
R2R

R2R

I wouldn't consider that room small. Mine is only 9.5x11.5x8' and it works fine. The low ceiling may or may not be a minor issue. Modal issues will occur higher up in the spectrum but they are easier to treat. However, because of the lower ceiling, traditional panels may take too much away from the height (unless you are shorter than 6'). Depending on placement and your seating height, it may not be an issue as all.

If you have the time and all, I'd recommend getting a UMIK-1 mic and taking some measurements and after you get the speakers. Will give you a good idea of where the best listening position is.

It can be a bit of an adventure to get things setup, but you will gain so much more from proper speaker placement than anything else. It's worth the time investment.
Apologies; those measurements were taken before the renovations were finished and were just the entirety of the room, not including the bathroom that was put in.
I just went down and measured the room. This floor plan is still crude but a more accurate representation of the room I'm dealing with. (in metres)

I'll most definitely take your advice on the UMIK and on the adventure. I am quite excited to hear 20Hz–20kHz and to optimise it!

Attachments

• Rough Floor Plan.png
    Rough Floor Plan.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 32
OP
R2R

R2R

Any interest in DIY? Don't know what your options down under are in that respect, but seems unless you have some particular finish requirements that it'd be a good alternative for the money (considering your own time/effort on the free side, tho)
Oo, I assume you mean subwoofer? That is intriguing. I had thoughts of making a custom keyboard but never thought of doing a subwoofer.

I think I like audio more than I trust my own capabilities, If that makes sense. :)

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Pity you're not going. Every man and his dog will be there. The next show will be next year. I'll be going on Saturday.

Alan (March Audio) will be there with his new speaker. He will also be visiting my house tomorrow night :) His Sointuva is well worth your time listening to, but I am afraid that those speakers alone will eat up slightly less than your entire budget.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oo, I assume you mean subwoofer? That is intriguing. I had thoughts of making a custom keyboard but never thought of doing a subwoofer.

I think I like audio more than I trust my own capabilities, If that makes sense. :)

Yes, the sub is what I was referring to. Altho AUD 2100 isn't as far off from the Rythmik price here in the US (altho includes shipping to the continental US in the US price), roughly USD 1800 each...but then I think Rythmik is a bit overpriced for this 12" sealed sub....

I've built several subs, a keyboard I wouldn't have any idea. :) I wanted some woodworking tools when I moved into my current place and finally had space for a decent workshop, plus I wanted several larger subs than what I had. Little experience with woodworking at the time, but boxes aren't that hard I figured (and they were a bit harder than I thought). Finishing can be harder, especially to satisfy any WAF.

Good luck on your system.

Top Bottom