• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
How many times does it have to be repeated. NOT all DACs sound the same. There are those that measure (and sound) so much different from 'decently designed' DACs that it can be explained why they sound different.
With some DACs you can even get the same DAC to sound different by choosing the 'wrong' filter, one that has a substantial effect within the audible range (for younger folks).

ALL DACs measure differently. This is evident when you look at the plots shown here and elsewhere. That doesn't mean they also SOUND different.
There is such a thing as an audibility threshold. Measurements greatly exceed those thresholds. They can measure far beyond and below what is audible to even the most discerning listener. (that's what some find the arrogant part).

The real problem is those that do not believe in measurements, largely because they do not understand audible limits and what the plots can/do actually tell those that do understand them, and thus conclude measurements say nothing.
Also people don't tend to understand there is a HUGE gap between electrical measurements and acoustical measurements and assume electrical meausurements do not cover everything. The age old 'but music is dynamic and not static' argument is used by lack of understanding between acoustics, electronics and above all the workings of the brain.
Then there is the fact that most people who hear differences do so knowing what is playing and when they happen to test blind don't level match down to 0.1dB. Mostly because they don't know how or think it doesn't matter when comparing.

It's those folks that keep on popping up here telling folks they are wrong, arrogant, mistaken. Why ? because their ears tell them so. They are so confident they can clearly hear differences they don't even NEED to properly blind test. They are convinced audio and hearing is magical of sorts. Technicians are still in the dark ages etc.

That's the reason this thread exists. How to deal with those folks. Simply telling them they need to properly test 'blind' simply doesn't work because they won't. Their ears told them so and they are telling the truth. The thread is not there to tell the world all DACs sound the same. They don't (by engineering or lack of it)

NO not all DACs sound the same. The decent ones (which can be picked based on measurements) DO. And when someone has compelling evidence they don't 'we' would like to see that evidence and how that evidence was obtained. Under what conditions. If you can't (because you didn't use the proper controls) simply don't vent your opinion here just because you clearly heard differences.

Last edited:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I've read the OP's first original post (thread's starter) twice.

In the audio business it is permissible to give a component a sound signature.
That makes for good business among sound preference audio addicts.

The stars in the sky they move with time and space expanding.
Not everything that can be measured is.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That makes for good business among sound preference audio addicts.

Yes, they can, and some do so because of that reason. They use engineering for that AND is quite measurable. They don't use magic or 'select' components based on their guru. That's merely the marketting story behind it that people seem to love. It also doesn't mean that when it measures excellent it will still sound 'better' because of the applied magic.

Stars and their movement have nothing to do with engineering a piece of electronics.
There is a voltage (mostly 2, sometimes more) that changes amplitude over time and have a fixed relation to each other. Those aspects are what matters. It can be measured with an accuracy way beyond human and even animal range.

Last edited:

kdphan

Been lurking, so first post here...

I've owned my fair share of cheap and expensive DACs the past few years.

In order of how much $$ I've spent on audio equipment...
1) headphones/IEMs
2) Amps
3) DACs
4) quality cables

DACs and cables mostly sound the same. Heck, if i'm barely able to distinguish between 320kbps and a WAV files, I sure as hell can't tell a difference between properly implemented DACs. I've given up on expensive DACs since I cannot hear a difference. It's nice to have extra features, but not worth all the extra $$.

Most of my $$ has gone to headphones/IEMs because I can actually hear a difference between them :)

I look forward to reading more reviews from @amirm and learning from everyone here.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This forum is really being taken over by the faith-based audiophiles.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Yes, they can, and some do so because of that reason. They use engineering for that AND is quite measurable. They don't use magic or 'select' components based on their guru. That's merely the marketting story behind it that people seem to love.

Stars and their movement have nothing to do with engineering a piece of electronics.
There is a voltage (mostly 2, sometimes more) that changes amplitude over time and have a fixed relation to each other. Those aspects are what matters. It can be measured with an accuracy way beyond human and even animal range.

The stars in the expanding sky (universe) was simply a light touch of humor.
I know they have nothing to do with DAC's sound signature; that'll be the day.

But the Earth's magnetic pole might though ...
Temperature, altitude?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
But the Earth's magnetic pole might though ...
Temperature, altitude?

That is quite likely to affect a lot of things globally, DAC performance is likely not one of them ;)

Wombat

Master Contributor
My mother-in-law would probably have said, "that's nice dear".

mansr

Major Contributor
That is quite likely to affect a lot of things globally, DAC performance is likely not one of them ;)
DAC performance depends on temperature. Some of them readily gain a few dB of SINAD if cooled to -30 °C or so.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
We all need audiophile refridgerators for our electronics.
There might have been opened a new market just now.
We need to figure out how to get cables in and out and something to prevent all rotating mechanical stuff from seizing up.
Must be quite capable in case tube or class-A power amps also need to be cooled down to those temeperatures.

Veri

Master Contributor
All gear should come with a "Cryo" or non-cryo option for the non-believers.. and when I die I want my body to be cryo'ed with the rest of my stuff!
Cryo is love, cryo is life.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
This forum is really being taken over by the faith-based audiophiles.

Not if I have anything to say about it. :)
quadmount.jpg

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes it is.

Even if I never understood why the first analogue element of the audio chain would or even should act as a tone control. This makes no sense to me.

At the end, that is not the issue here. It's not about signature preferences, but "if" there's any signature at all. I obviously second @solderdude on this: Audible differences exists between DACs, because some DACs are broken by design. Whatever it has been done on purpose or not: it is still broken, then it may sounds different... meaning: bad.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
DAC performance depends on temperature. Some of them readily gain a few dB of SINAD if cooled to -30 °C or so.
That's not an uncommon approach to improve SNR. NMR spectrometers offer cryogenically cooled preamps for this purpose. It's quite expensive but reduces measurement time significantly due to reduced number of averages.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How many times does it have to be repeated. NOT all DACs sound the same. There are those that measure (and sound) so much different from 'decently designed' DACs that it can be explained why they sound different.
With some DACs you can even get the same DAC to sound different by choosing the 'wrong' filter, one that has a substantial effect within the audible range (for younger folks).

ALL DACs measure differently. This is evident when you look at the plots shown here and elsewhere. That doesn't mean they also SOUND different.
There is such a thing as an audibility threshold. Measurements greatly exceed those thresholds. They can measure far beyond and below what is audible to even the most discerning listener. (that's what some find the arrogant part).

The real problem is those that do not believe in measurements, largely because they do not understand audible limits and what the plots can/do actually tell those that do understand them, and thus conclude measurements say nothing.
Also people don't tend to understand there is a HUGE gap between electrical measurements and acoustical measurements and assume electrical meausurements do not cover everything. The age old 'but music is dynamic and not static' argument is used by lack of understanding between acoustics, electronics and above all the workings of the brain.
Then there is the fact that most people who hear differences do so knowing what is playing and when they happen to test blind don't level match down to 0.1dB. Mostly because they don't know how or think it doesn't matter when comparing.

It's those folks that keep on popping up here telling folks they are wrong, arrogant, mistaken. Why ? because their ears tell them so. They are so confident they can clearly hear differences they don't even NEED to properly blind test. They are convinced audio and hearing is magical of sorts. Technicians are still in the dark ages etc.

That's the reason this thread exists. How to deal with those folks. Simply telling them they need to properly test 'blind' simply doesn't work because they won't. Their ears told them so and they are telling the truth. The thread is not there to tell the world all DACs sound the same. They don't (by engineering or lack of it)

NO not all DACs sound the same. The decent ones (which can be picked based on measurements) DO. And when someone has compelling evidence they don't 'we' would like to see that evidence and how that evidence was obtained. Under what conditions. If you can't (because you didn't use the proper controls) simply don't vent your opinion here just because you clearly heard differences.
This posting needs to be sticky.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,

Can it be assumed that a DAC is a "digital-to-analog" converter ?
Therefore, the sound is converted form "0-1" binary sequence to an electrical signal...

Is it stupid from me to assume that, once that conversion is performed, it is not passed directly to the output connectors ?
That there is some "tweaking" on the analog part of the output (so the part that comes AFTER the DAC) ?

And that the difference that people are hearing is caused by that anaolog output staging and not the DAC itself ?

I am totally ignorant, but would like to understand...

I would also like to point out that since Amirm started to measure speakers, on not so rare occasions, his conclusion is :
"Despite the rather good measurements, I did not like the sound I subjectively heard".
Or the other way round : "Given the pretty bad measurements, I expected catastrophical subjective listening test. But the thing sounded pretty good".

Food for thought... and it comes from a guy that I guess no one will suspect not knowing about measures and sound...

Top Bottom