• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

dan3952

Interesting test, thanks.
Did they follow these noise distortion tests with the harmonic and inter-modulation tests?
It says they were unable to inject IMD into the signal, only THD. I've read that IMD is more detectable by humans than THD. Though it's been measured in amps and DACs, and pointed out many times on here, I don't think IMD has been audible in any of the gear I've had. Would I honestly be able hear an IMD spike, even one that goes up to 30 db below source in the upper midrange, or suggest that someone avoid a piece of equipment just over that?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IMD is often at odd, non-harmonically unrelated frequencies, and they come in gangs ;) Each mixing product between tones makes a sum and and difference, and the harmonics of those.

Reactions: EdW

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds hideous :eek:
It's so prevalent when you turn up most systems, you might not really notice something unusual, until you hear or build a low IMD design.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

bachatero

I've been reading Amir's DAC reviews for a long time but only recently made an account here to ask about them. I noticed that almost all of the test subjects perform at least just fine despite the big SINAD bar graph encompassing not only high end DACs but also those found in cheap products. Even then, only the worst of the worst (Dell XPS, fancy tube DAC) appear to have audible imperfections. Therefore, if we extrapolate the bar graph's samples to represent the audio market in general, then it looks like you have a very good chance of picking something with transparent performance with audible distortion as a mere outlier. Do DACs really matter anymore if all you want is "good enough" performance? I'm not talking about those from decades ago which often had audibly bad performance.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

bachatero

If so, then it's insane how companies like Topping and SMSL and all the others keep making the same exact thing over and over and over again with few to zero (0) new redeeming features, and yet they somehow stay in business

effj

I recently bought a Topping E50 and a D10 Balanced. It seems like the golden age of hifi DACs; so many options. I felt completely inundated trying to choose among all the offerings. On the plus side, I am really impressed with the products I received. Originally I looked at the Cambridge DacMagic 200M as my best “affordable” option, but all this competition led me to what I perceive to be a much better value. Competition and variety can be good!

Bleib

Major Contributor
My hope we get better built in inside AVRs and other electronics with many functions

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If so, then it's insane how companies like Topping and SMSL and all the others keep making the same exact thing over and over and over again with few to zero (0) new redeeming features, and yet they somehow stay in business
Many people are buying a DAC for the first time so for them, they are producing products with the latest and greatest in performance, looks, etc. They also can't produce some of the older products due to ICs and parts going out of production.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Funny you mentioned that. We have been discussing whether they are hitting the top of the curve as well just now.

El_Arte

Did you try the Radiant Refiner XT1000 Ultra, though? Sure it’s a little pricey at $3,999, but the marble finish and copper accents make it stand out beyond its price point. And Simon Beaumeister at Pure Waves magazine says it’s a revolution in the field of square bits translation.

o_O

Mikig

After years of vintage DACs I decided to enter in the modern market. At first I took an SMSL DO100, changed after about two months to the DO300. The sound is finally coming out, but this took a few weeks of use. It went from being a little edgy to what I think is its best feature, which is neutrality. I use it in combination with the PO100PRO, using the I2S connection. I consider the DO300 an excellent product, considering the purchase price it is difficult to expect more. The only venial sin lies in the three-dimensionality parameter; I would prefer a slightly more holographic and deeper sound. Considering performance, connectivity, ease of use, sound, configuration possibilities and price, the opinion is largely more than good. A good teammate in my system to spend pleasant hours of listening...

Svperstar

Waaaay late to this thread but one of or the worst measuing piece of gear Amir has ever reviewed was an MHDT Labs Tube DAC. Not only is it a tube but it is also NOS and no feedback and no other "modern" tech at all which they claim brings out a "natural" sound.......I owned one of those MHDT Labs DACs back in 2006. It is to this day the worst sounding piece of gear I have owned in this hobby and I sold it quickly.

I really wanted to like it because NOS DACs were all the rage those days similar to R2R or multibit DACs these days. Even my non-audiophile friend said it sucked and she knew nothing about audio gear.

The one Amir measured was only distortion free to 8-bits.......and the model he had was higher end with a much nicer DAC chip then the "entry level" model I had.

........$650 shipped.......ugh.

AdrianusG

Waaaay late to this thread but one of or the worst measuing piece of gear Amir has ever reviewed was an MHDT Labs Tube DAC. Not only is it a tube but it is also NOS and no feedback and no other "modern" tech at all which they claim brings out a "natural" sound.......I owned one of those MHDT Labs DACs back in 2006. It is to this day the worst sounding piece of gear I have owned in this hobby and I sold it quickly.

I really wanted to like it because NOS DACs were all the rage those days similar to R2R or multibit DACs these days. Even my non-audiophile friend said it sucked and she knew nothing about audio gear.

The one Amir measured was only distortion free to 8-bits.......and the model he had was higher end with a much nicer DAC chip then the "entry level" model I had.

........$650 shipped.......ugh.
Well, if you want "high end" you've got to suffer i guess;)

Top Bottom