• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

separating amplifiers for a TV/STEREO speaker hook-up

g927

i have a new LG flatscreen with HDMI,etc jacks. i hooked up a DVD player for which i want use my stereo speakers, utilizing a NILES DPS-1 box (for amplifier separation). need suggestions for wiring,etc. thks

OP
G

g927

only the DVD player and COMCAST CABLE.
my STEREO amp is CARVER 500T and the speakers KEF (200w per channel) reference.

Zek

Major Contributor
Do you have any preamp because Carver is a power amp?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Use the optical out on the tv? Or am I missing something?

Zek

Major Contributor
You need DAC with optical in and cinch out between TV and preamp. One optical cable TV > DAC and one inerconnect cable (2+2 cinch) DAC > preamp.
What for is NILES DPS-1?

OP
G

g927

Do you have any preamp because Carver is a power amp?
i have a new LG flatscreen with HDMI,etc jacks. i hooked up a DVD player for which i want use my stereo speakers, utilizing a NILES DPS-1 box (for amplifier separation). need suggestions for wiring,etc. thks

back again(returned the NILES box)...got a "TECHOLE" hs203 converter ,plus an OPTICAL cable..hooked up to the TV and the CARVER pre-amp AUX jacks..changed the TV to OPTICAL ..no sound??
suggestions??
thks

Zek

Major Contributor
Is the hs203 converter connected to power?
Did you remove the protective caps from the fiber optic cable?

OP
G

g927

yes..converter is connected with "power light" on.
yes..caps are removed and inserted into the proper receptacles

OP
G

g927

could it be that the TV does not have the power to drive the speakers ? ( 200W/channel)

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How about using a Denon X3600H (or 3500H for $ savings) as your preamp, then you would also have the option of adding a center channel if you ever wanted to, along with room eq and bass management/sub out/sub eq for better sound quality? Maybe too expensive of a fix but would come with a lot of benefits/flexibility and solve the connectivity issues.

Willem

Major Contributor
could it be that the TV does not have the power to drive the speakers ? ( 200W/channel)
No, you are using the digital optical output of the TV. The power amp does the heavy lifting. I think the connectivity issue probably relates to a setting on the TV. It needs to be stereo. How about using the digital audio output of the DVD player as a test to locate the problem more precisely? Just play a CD, and see if you get sound.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
If you are using the optical out from your tv to a regular DAC you have to set the output on your TV to stereo PCM.

OP
G

g927

How about using a Denon X3600H (or 3500H for $ savings) as your preamp, then you would also have the option of adding a center channel if you ever wanted to, along with room eq and bass management/sub out/sub eq for better sound quality? Maybe too expensive of a fix but would come with a lot of benefits/flexibility and solve the connectivity issues.

i have multiple CARVER components and would rather keep my system pure..thks

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
i have multiple CARVER components and would rather keep my system pure..thks

Cool, hope you are able to get your Carver gear working with the TV! Just thought it was worth a mention, as the Denon AVR(s) I mentioned measure better, or more "pure" than many over priced audiophile components.

OP
G

g927

No, you are using the digital optical output of the TV. The power amp does the heavy lifting. I think the connectivity issue probably relates to a setting on the TV. It needs to be stereo. How about using the digital audio output of the DVD player as a test to locate the problem more precisely? Just play a CD, and see if you get sound.

will try..thks
Any progress?

sadly no...for a test , i tried setting TV speakers to "optic & internal" and played the TV..no sound thru the stereo..so, i am assuming the problem may be the TV optical outlet or the stereo,but it does seem odd, as both work well independently

Willem

Major Contributor
Did you try the optical output of the dvd player, directly into the DAC? Just to make sure the DAC is functioning correctly.

Top Bottom