• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

XLR and RCA at the same time

Micheljmoto

Hi all, I have a question.
My setup - I'm currently using a Marantz NR1403 pre-outed to a Rotel RB-1590 Amp.
I've been using the Marantz in a two channel configuration to accomodate a Chromecast HDMI for my streaming of YouTube Music/You Tube/Netflix etc. Also have my FibreOp TV provider's receiver hooked up via HDMI and also a BluRay also Via HDMI.
The Marantz is pre-outed to the Rotel with RCA cables. The TV monitor also an HDMI connection from the Marantz to the TV. Speakers are a pair of Polk Audio RtiA9's.

My goal ... I want the best possible music listening experience that I can achieve with this setup and know that I don't have it.

My thoughts on how to achieve my desired results..... I want to first of all switch to the best/highest quality of Tidal Music, then I want to get the Ever-Solo DPM A6 streamer/DAC to add to my system.

My question?...…. Rather than hooking up the EverSolo through the Marantz via RCA (want to use the EverSolo's DAC) could I instead have it as a discreet Music only component and hook it up directly to my Rotel with a pair of XLR's as they are not being used and should produce better sound quality? Also thinking that bypassing the Marantz completely might achieve cleaner sound as the Marantz (while it has the Pure Direct option) could add interference.
Note : I would still have the Marantz hooked up to the Rotel via RCA for my video/TV needs.
So essentially what I'm asking is can I have RCA's from the Marantz and XLR's from the EverSolo hooked up to the Rotel at the same time as two independent sources.
I of course would never use both sources at the same time.
Ideas anyone?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It would depend on the Rotel circuit design.

It's probably NOT supposed to be used as a "mixer". In general, you shouldn't connect outputs together even if one is inactive so you're not actually mixing signals.

OP
M

Micheljmoto

It would depend on the Rotel circuit design.

It's probably NOT supposed to be used as a "mixer". In general, you shouldn't connect outputs together even if one is inactive so you're not actually mixing signals.
The Rotel's manual states that they should not both be used at the same time (one or the other) when hooking up to the same source. Otherwise I don't know.

Top Bottom