• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Separate L/R signals into each subwoofer or sum L+R into both?

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Assuming a stereo system with two subwoofers, I've read here that the multisubbing helps energize the air with low frequencies and isn't so much about separating the L and R signals of a stereo program. Can anyone elaborate on this? Is it reasonable to send the same L+R sum signal to both subs?

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Assuming a stereo system with two subwoofers, I've read here that the multisubbing helps energize the air with low frequencies and isn't so much about separating the L and R signals of a stereo program. Can anyone elaborate on this? Is it reasonable to send the same L+R sum signal to both subs?

Yes, in general we don't take localisation cues from the frequency range in which they operate. Multi-subbing can obviously provide more energy, but, again in general, more power isn't the primary reason why people multi sub. Bass interacts a lot with the room (as the wavelengths are close to usual room dimensions) and you want to even out that interaction.

That's really in a nutshell, there is a lot of literature on the issue.

Google "multi sub placement guide pdf" and you'll have a ton of stuff to read.

OP
thefsb

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks, PierreV. For now this nutshell is sufficient for my needs. This consideration shouldn't count against equipment with only one sub output.

Top Bottom