• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sensing Ultrasonics

pfzar

Having worked with parametric speakers, you are hearing the foldback distortion caused by the brick-wall filter for the carrier freq. The eardrum does not move when presented with a 40k tone.

the 40Khz tone is in most applications has a SPL of 135 to 140 dB. OSHA has a cap of 140dB.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
define "hear"

if you are asking if humans can perceive freqs. beyond 20 kHz, then define perceive...

if you are asking if humans can be affected behaviorally by even rel. low level freqs. beyond 20 kHz, then the answer is yes

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
if you are asking if humans can be affected behaviorally by even rel. low level freqs. beyond 20 kHz, then the answer is yes
Do you have a confirmed scientific reference for this?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to - but let me see if I can dig it up. BTW, not talking about cochlear routes only...

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Multiple ultrasonic high level sound sources can produce audible (< 20kHz) sounds.
As far as I remember from test being done in 80's its because of non-linear behaviour of air at these levels.
I wonder if this also the case in this experiment.

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Possibly but it is anecdotal and he does some reaching. Note he says:
"As the frequency was varied continuously
from 12 to 100 kc. /s ., the pitch rose with it to 15 kc./s. and stayed there as the frequency was further increased."

Could be intermodulation and excitation of resonances in the physical structures of the head.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
yup - we could see who cited him

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
This specific article is not even a page long and was discussed in this thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/two-old-ess-talks.9216/page-2#post-240851

The linked post has the exact page.

These claims have been thoroughly debunked multiple times. There is no physiological mechanism for hearing ultrasonics. The most I've seen about this (in Moore's book) is that infants have an upshifted hearing range that settles in the typical range as they get older.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I said nothing about hearing.

check out my exact weasel words above

OP
Zensō

Zensō

Major Contributor
Have you ever put your finger in an ultrasonic cleaner? Ouch. :)
I have (an old pen & ink draftsman here), and yes it’s an uncomfortable sensation. I also spent an evening watching hundreds of thousands of bats feeding, which was a somehow related experience.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

Indeed. That would include the so-called "Brown Note." o_O

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

By sheer SPL? Not much to do with audio then.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
not necessarily - if it can be "sensed" (see the OP) then there may be an effect on sound, just as a nice whiskey or looking at art can alter perceptions of SQ

I'd argue that synesthesia is an important factor on car audio also.

But, the importance of any putative would likely be about at the level of a phaat interconnect cable...

Top Bottom