• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD800s cables and Focal Utopia Cables

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am planning to make some cables for my 2 newest headphones. None of the stock cables suit my preferences. I want a long XLR cable for my HiFi, a short 1/4in cable for my workstation Focusrite Scarlett, and if my Samsung phone can adequately drive them, a short 1/8in cable.

I ordered a bunch of stuff from Ali like headphone connectors, wire, and cable splitters. I ordered some Neutrik connectors from Mouser for the other end. Those Lemo connectors on the Utopia are really cool with a lock that disengages when you tug the sleeve like an air hose or some other aerospace connectors, but I gambled on 3 pairs of Ali copies for the ($70ish) price of one pair of Lemos. I also have stuff laying around.

Tonight I made the work station Sennheiser cable.

20210510_211831.jpg

Definitely needed the big magnifying glass soldering those tiny pins. I put some adhesive heat shrink between and around the pins for good measure and filled the splitter with hot melt glue since my cable stock is swisted rather than square sinnet. I figure these cost me $40 plus some time versus about $46 for something similar minus the Amphenol connector from Ali. When bigger splitters arrive I am going to use paracord sleeving, but I didn't want to wait or use cable pants so I got started. I will probably do the 1/8 inch Utopia cable like this too before the other splitters get here.

RHO

Major Contributor
Nice!
I've orderen quite some stuff from Ali also. Will build some cables for my IEMs and later on for my HD6XX too. Also planning on converter cable from 4.4mm pentacon to 3.5mm TRS and from pentacon to 4pin XLR.

How easy was it to fix the y-splitter in place? I ordered 2 options: 1 type goes straight trough and the other is the same as yours. I use braided cable. Plan is to go from 8 strand braid to 2x 4 strand braid after the y-splitter.

I don't think the paracord sleeve will improve anyhting compared to what you have now. Maybe when you hand-braid or twist the cable yourself with some generic bland, black, brown,... cable it will be nice for aesthetics.
But this is a nice looking cable. No need to cover it up.

OP
Helicopter

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice!
I've orderen quite some stuff from Ali also. Will build some cables for my IEMs and later on for my HD6XX too. Also planning on converter cable from 4.4mm pentacon to 3.5mm TRS and from pentacon to 4pin XLR.

How easy was it to fix the y-splitter in place? I ordered 2 options: 1 type goes straight trough and the other is the same as yours. I use braided cable. Plan is to go from 8 strand braid to 2x 4 strand braid after the y-splitter.

I don't think the paracord sleeve will improve anyhting compared to what you have now. Maybe when you hand-braid or twist the cable yourself with some generic bland, black, brown,... cable it will be nice for aesthetics.
But this is a nice looking cable. No need to cover it up.

Thanks! Funny thing is all this cable stock is the same price. Gold plated, silver plated, brown, purple, red, copper. Only the core thickness and core count makes a difference. I was a bit shocked by that because US retailers might charge $150 for black, $350 for silver, etc. I figured the silver would look really good without being as tacky as gold and perhaps easier to solder than anything else. Unfortunately, it does take some heat to get the solder flowing, unlike some silver plated US Mil-Spec cable I use for interconnects. I conclude this stuff is more likely plated in 'silver' the color than 'silver' the element. Perhaps 'German silver' or some other similar alloy that looks a lot like silver. Either that or there is something on top of the silver like silicone oil. I still have the benefit with this choice that it will work on its own or covered up.

The splitter is easy to glue because it fits the cable correctly and doesn't want to slide much anyway, and it has a screw-on cap on the end with one hole, so you can access the inside of the splitter easily. Another sealant or adhesive might be a better choice, like a syringe of RTV or epoxy, but hot melt glue worked fine too. it doesn't take much on my cable because the splitter wasn't really moving even without adhesive. I just glued it in case it might slide down the cable over time.

Reactions: RHO

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Nice job Helicopter. The ability to do that kind of work is long in the rear view. Just holding my hands steady would be a problem. So I admire the work you did. Looks professional.

RHO

Major Contributor
Thanks! Funny thing is all this cable stock is the same price. Gold plated, silver plated, brown, purple, red, copper. Only the core thickness and core count makes a difference. I was a bit shocked by that because US retailers might charge $150 for black, $350 for silver, etc. I figured the silver would look really good without being as tacky as gold and perhaps easier to solder than anything else. Unfortunately, it does take some heat to get the solder flowing, unlike some silver plated US Mil-Spec cable I use for interconnects. I conclude this stuff is more likely plated in 'silver' the color than 'silver' the element. Perhaps 'German silver' or some other similar alloy that looks a lot like silver. Either that or there is something on top of the silver like silicone oil. I still have the benefit with this choice that it will work on its own or covered up.

The splitter is easy to glue because it fits the cable correctly and doesn't want to slide much anyway, and it has a screw-on cap on the end with one hole, so you can access the inside of the splitter easily. Another sealant or adhesive might be a better choice, like a syringe of RTV or epoxy, but hot melt glue worked fine too. it doesn't take much on my cable because the splitter wasn't really moving even without adhesive. I just glued it in case it might slide down the cable over time.
Hehe, I orderd silver, black and gold cable. 10m each.:) I want to make a bling one with gold cable and black connectors and splitter. A nice silver one with chrome connector on amp side, transparent on IEM side and a chrome splitter. And I want a completely black one. Thinking about completely gold plated connectors and splitter with the gold cable to be obnoxiously blingy.:cool: I still have to see which will be which: 3.5mm/4.4mm/HD6XX/0.78mm 2pin/convertor 4.4mm=>XLR/4.4mm=>3.5mm. I have plenty cables to build. :D
First cable I build was a 3m extension cable for late night listening while the wife is sleeping. That is a grass-green cable with black connectors (she loves it and uses it more than I do!:D)

OK, I think attaching the y-splitter will go fine then. Not sure about epoxy because that can get quite hot while curing. Hotter than melt glue. And the chemical reaction might damage the insulation.

OP
Helicopter

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Assembled the 3.5mm (1/8") Utopia cable today. Now I can take it with me anywhere. I must say these LEMO type connectors from Ali are incredibly nice, with brilliant design, nice solder cups, and nice finish.

20210705_113100.jpg

Last edited:

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
OP
Helicopter

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's the long XLR with fancy paracord and Belden Type E wire:

20210705_170424.jpg

Keep this up and your going to have a side Gig soon! Where do we put in our Orders? ;)

Thanks! Not planning an enterprise right now. I might make something for a senior member or whatever. PM me if you want something.

Top Bottom