• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD560S Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 5.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 169 39.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 228 53.5%

• Total voters

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've read good things about their factory refurbs. I was keeping an eye out for used pairs and missed a couple on eBay that went for £99 and £109.99.

They have only just shipped so hopefully they will land in the next couple of days from Germany.

Plan is to try out some AutoEQ configs and compare them to my HD650, D7000 and K371. I'm fairly certain stock will be lacking in bass for my taste.
Try out the Oratory EQ's too if you've not done so, see which you prefer. HD560s is not bad at stock, and their bass at stock is above average when compared to other open backed headphones. I find the bass really good after EQ too, better than my other open backed headphones for that bar the planar HE4XX I have, probably equals them in the bass after EQ. I hope they live up to your expectations or surpass them!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Which is the correct Oratory EQ?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7amvtfabcizrc12/Sennheiser HD560S.pdf?dl=0

or

Assuming that linked PDF is from Oratory1990 on Reddit, that one. The AutoEQ one is machine generated from the same measurements as the former but Oratory manually adjusts his EQ settings based on listening and experience.

sharock

Assuming that linked PDF is from Oratory1990 on Reddit, that one. The AutoEQ one is machine generated from the same measurements as the former but Oratory manually adjusts his EQ settings based on listening and experience.

Thanks. It turns out my hearing isn't good enough to actually perceive any differences between the two.:D

So far, EQ'd to oratory with a bass shelf, I'm enjoying these. Definitely too bass-shy for my taste in stock. It's hard for me to quickly do AB comparisons, but I think they do sound more spacious than the HD650, K371 and Denon D7000. Still not quite speaker-like in presentation. In terms of bass, I think my closed cans have a more subwoofer-like presentation, however, with a +6dB low-shelf the bass of the HD560s is very satisfying and full-sounding to me. I am pleased with this purchase for the price I paid. Without the ability to PEQ, I think I would not keep these though.

In the future, I'm still interested in trying some higher-tier planars.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. It turns out my hearing isn't good enough to actually perceive any differences between the two.:D

So far, EQ'd to oratory with a bass shelf, I'm enjoying these. Definitely too bass-shy for my taste in stock. It's hard for me to quickly do AB comparisons, but I think they do sound more spacious than the HD650, K371 and Denon D7000. Still not quite speaker-like in presentation. In terms of bass, I think my closed cans have a more subwoofer-like presentation, however, with a +6dB low-shelf the bass of the HD560s is very satisfying and full-sounding to me. I am pleased with this purchase for the price I paid. Without the ability to PEQ, I think I would not keep these though.

In the future, I'm still interested in trying some higher-tier planars.
Ah, that's good that you're enjoying them with PEQ. When you say you probably wouldn't keep them if you had to use them at stock, due to not enough bass, then that would likely be true for virtually any open backed headphone in that case, because bass level is above average in the stock HD560s.....but if you're comparing them against closed backs at stock then yes, oftentimes you'd get better bass at stock in closed backs (in terms of more bass). I find the stock bass of the HD560s to be surprisingly good for an open backed headphone. I certainly recommend people use PEQ with the HD560s though, if they have access to it.....but that's the same with almost any headphone.

sharock

Ah, that's good that you're enjoying them with PEQ. When you say you probably wouldn't keep them if you had to use them at stock, due to not enough bass, then that would likely be true for virtually any open backed headphone in that case, because bass level is above average in the stock HD560s.....but if you're comparing them against closed backs at stock then yes, oftentimes you'd get better bass at stock in closed backs (in terms of more bass). I find the stock bass of the HD560s to be surprisingly good for an open backed headphone. I certainly recommend people use PEQ with the HD560s though, if they have access to it.....but that's the same with almost any headphone.
I think you're right. I like Harman bass and most of the open-backed headphones measured here are lacking it without EQ as seen in the graphs like the HD560s one below. However, even EQ'd to the curve, I still think open-backed bass is missing some visceral sensation compared to closed-back, perhaps due to the lack of pressurisation of the cups?

index.php

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you're right. I like Harman bass and most of the open-backed headphones measured here are lacking it without EQ as seen in the graphs like the HD560s one below. However, even EQ'd to the curve, I still think open-backed bass is missing some visceral sensation compared to closed-back, perhaps due to the lack of pressurisation of the cups?

index.php
You might be right, re the "visceral sensation" which I take to mean kind of feeling the bass against your skin.....I only have one set of closed backs, that's the NAD HP50, and on the relatively rare occasion that I get a perfect seal with those, then it's true I remember a greater feeling of bass to go along with the hearing (HP50 is super finicky to place right with super small earcups). If I ever do buy some more headphones I think I'm gonna go for a Dan Clarke closed back, I've been toying with the idea of the DCA Closed X.....I'm keeping it on the back burner until I definitely feel the need to buy another model of headphone (and see what happens in the rest of the market over time), I'm alright at the moment.

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
can anyone make a comparison between hd560s bass and audeze lcd2/3's bass?
would love to hear from those who own both, or extensively listened to both

pk500

can anyone make a comparison between hd560s bass and audeze lcd2/3's bass?
would love to hear from those who own both, or extensively listened to both
As Jeff Spicoli said, "Right here, dude."

I own the Audeze LCD-2C and previously owned the HD 560s. The LCD-2C have more bass, more punch and more slam. It's a darker headphone, period.

But the tradeoff is detail. The HD 560s has better detail through the midrange and the treble. It also has a small treble spike that hit my tinnitus just in the wrong spot, so I sold it. I'm much happier with the rolled-off treble of my HD 6XX than with the HD 560s. But that's my ears and brain, which probably don't match yours.

TL;DR: The HD 560s is the most detailed headphone I've heard under $200. But the LCD-2C -- a much more expensive can -- is my favorite rock headphone, period. The bass and rolled-off treble make rock, which features a lot of REALLY sh*tty recordings, including victims of the loudness wars, sing and thump like no other can I've heard. But if other types of music besides rock were my main jam, I probably would lean toward the 560s.

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As Jeff Spicoli said, "Right here, dude."

I own the Audeze LCD-2C and previously owned the HD 560s. The LCD-2C have more bass, more punch and more slam. It's a darker headphone, period.

But the tradeoff is detail. The HD 560s has better detail through the midrange and the treble. It also has a small treble spike that hit my tinnitus just in the wrong spot, so I sold it. I'm much happier with the rolled-off treble of my HD 6XX than with the HD 560s. But that's my ears and brain, which probably don't match yours.

TL;DR: The HD 560s is the most detailed headphone I've heard under $200. But the LCD-2C -- a much more expensive can -- is my favorite rock headphone, period. The bass and rolled-off treble make rock, which features a lot of REALLY sh*tty recordings, including victims of the loudness wars, sing and thump like no other can I've heard. But if other types of music besides rock were my main jam, I probably would lean toward the 560s.
thanks for sharing ur impression. I had the LCD-2C and the original 2 too. I guess they won't measure too well but they were fantastic headphones, both with appearance and sound (original sound and EQ).

I guess this makes the hd560s one of the newer headphones from Sennheiser that does not have "the veil" people used to talk a lot back in the days. Probably a fantastic pair of headphones for excellently-recorded music :)

Last edited:

bracko

HD560s are excellent headphones regardless of price.

electronicsdesign

However, even EQ'd to the curve, I still think open-backed bass is missing some visceral sensation compared to closed-back, perhaps due to the lack of pressurisation of the cups?
I also find this to be true, the reason can be resonances in the cups. Then it's the cushions, on closed backs are many times made of leather, which provides a better seal.
Compared to the Oppo PM-3 for example (both with EQ), the Oppo has more visceral sensation in regard to bass, there's no doubt about it.
Problem with EQ on this one though is it will limit the volume I can listen to, which I don't like at all, as I tend to listen loud and very loud.
That's why I use them without EQ (and they're fine wihtout it), they just don't have that subwoofer type of a low-end, rather they sound more like speakers.

Last edited:

electronicsdesign

The very loud probably isn't and I certainly don't recommend it to others. I usually listen very loud only for limited periods of time.
Loud on the other hand I've listened for many many years without any issue. Of course people should be careful :).

Last edited:

Spitfire93

Did someone compared the 560s with SHP9500 sound wise ? do you consider being a big improvement upgrading to 560s ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, owned SHP9500 (and 9000 and 9600) and still own HD560S.
I consider it a big improvement, my wife may not though, not even from the kitchen :)
So... what I may consider an improvement may not be that to someone else.

usern

Yes, owned SHP9500 (and 9000 and 9600) and still own HD560S.
I consider it a big improvement, my wife may not though, not even from the kitchen :)
So... what I may consider an improvement may not be that to someone else.
Seems you did not measure distortion back in 2014? I would guess you can listen louder with cleaner sound with 560S.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Indeed, I still have the files but it can only show THD. Too much hassle to revisit all older measurements. Besides my distortion measurements are only indicative for severe shortcomings and 2nd harm is reported incorrectly anyway. Too much distortion is visible though and that's why I report it, but generally only at 90dB SPL (set around 1kHz) unless I see something weird (compression for instance).
For accurate distortion measurements Amirs plots are far more useful, and yes... also for other measurements when looking for a specific norm.

pk500

Did someone compared the 560s with SHP9500 sound wise ? do you consider being a big improvement upgrading to 560s ?
I've owned both. While I think the HD 560s is slightly overrated because of an annoying treble peak, it's a far better headphone than the SHP9500.

The SHPs are perfectly fine as a bare-bones, entry-level open-back can. But the treble is shrill and grainy as hell, and complex passages of music disintegrate into congested mush on the SHP's.

A better option would be the HiFiMan HE-400se for $125. Those are still the best all-around headphones I've heard for less than $200, including the HD 560s.

Spitfire93

I've owned both. While I think the HD 560s is slightly overrated because of an annoying treble peak, it's a far better headphone than the SHP9500.

The SHPs are perfectly fine as a bare-bones, entry-level open-back can. But the treble is shrill and grainy as hell, and complex passages of music disintegrate into congested mush on the SHP's.

A better option would be the HiFiMan HE-400se for $125. Those are still the best all-around headphones I've heard for less than $200, including the HD 560s.
Thanks for you feedback.
I'm also considering the HE400se as they are the same price as the HD560s where i live but I'm enclining more to HD560s due to better quality and the fact that i wanna also add a cheap tube amp to the setup in the future.

Top Bottom