• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Second Hand TEAC UD-505 (Very Attractive Price) or Keep Using Topping D70s

LuisCarlosHK

I found a second hand TEAC UD-505 with very attractive price (around US$550). But I build my current system (Topping D70s + Rega IO + Fostex P804-S) in the mid of January 2022. Should I buy that UD-505? TEAC 505 series are my dream equipment.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If it's your dream, it's your dream. There's nothing in the specs to suggest it's an awful unit, but there are others which perform better for less $. I would suspect it to be an inaudible difference from what already have. Unless you need/want a HPA, I don't see much point other than fulfilling your own personal wish list (which has it's merits, I certainly understand)

OP
L

LuisCarlosHK

I don't have any headphone and I won't use earphone at home even I have Roxanne and W40.
The main difference between UD-505 and D70s is the dual high-capacity toroidal-core power transformers.
Does the dual high-capacity toroidal-core power transformers really affect the performance?
Or Should I save money for a better speaker?

Robin L

Master Contributor
I don't have any headphone and I won't use earphone at home even I have Roxanne and W40.
The main difference between UD-505 and D70s is the dual high-capacity toroidal-core power transformers.
Does the dual high-capacity toroidal-core power transformers really affect the performance?
Or Should I save money for a better speaker?
Speakers always will make a bigger difference than electronics.

No contest.

The Topping D70 may not be SOTA, but its performance is still competitive, and replacing it with the Teac will probably result in no audible difference

OP
L

LuisCarlosHK

Speakers always will make a bigger difference than electronics.

No contest.

The Topping D70 may not be SOTA, but its performance is still competitive, and replacing it with the Teac will probably result in no audible difference

Thanks for your advice.
I will save the money for Fostex GX100BJ.

Top Bottom