• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SEAS KingRo4y MK3 Kit

Seb75

http://www.seas.no/images/stories/diykits/KingRO4Y_MK.III/KingRO4Y_MKIII_XoverGraph.jpg

Acoustic xo seem to be LR4, there should be no problem with 1,7kHz xo
Another version L26ROY has higher Fs and Qts if one likes that. But with dsp numbers are not so important... Making the box bigger up to standmount is not a problem. You can choose woofer height and cabinet volume as you like then.

I haven't heard KingROYs, but I'm familiar with SEAS coaxials, L26 and Hypex FA board. Super combination!
Hello Juhazi,

I have a large cabinet and I would like to start from this coax and add a 15" woofer.

do you think it makes sense, the C18EN002 DSP presets are available on the Seas website

Do you think this design is superior to the Faital 3WC-15 or Troel Gravessen's Fusion 3?

the C18EN002 is a good choice for a big 3 ways ?

ABOUT Hyper HD Filter

1 - Why only preset 3 allows me to see the curve in black with "Show sum of all..."

2- The black curve is the corrected curve? why is she so strange and not straight?

Seb75

The only thing the earlier version of the speaker from 5 or 6 years ago had in common with the new version is the name so I don't think that's relevant, kind of like saying I don't like the new Porsche 911 because the the one I saw in the car park 5 years ago had ugly wheels.
I haven't said much about this speaker because I don't have much time to debate online about it but I will say this. It is the most impressive speaker I have ever heard for its size. It hits quick, hard and smooth as high as I can hear all the way down to 30hz, definitely no sub needed for music and shakes my whole house without any hint of distortion plus you can eq it to any curve so it sounds exactly like you want it to in any situation you put it in. Its a very good studio monitor just like it was designed to be.
Has anyone made this seas' kit before?
Does the interest of a C18en002 is the possibility of making a small enclosure?
There's a reason to use it as an active in a large cabinet with a 15" in 100 liters
Does this coax sound as good as a separate midrange and tweeter?

Gremlins

I have build this kit mk3
That's a keeper, end game

My proof is that i didn't look at anyother speaker for months now ... i'm no more interested in changing.

I must have had 15, 20 speakers already ..some very expensive ...

Though, i will need to re-do painting so that i can admire it a little more .. i need to find a car painter now

I'm still playing with EQ to fine tune to my pleasure. The way i do it is i adjust a little ..listen two or three weeks , then readjust if needed..

I also change placements step by step .. these are heavy speaker

Seb75

Great! so there is no lack in the treble for example. I hesitate between a DIY speaker based on C18en002 with a 15, 12 or even 10 "seas woofer or a Faital 3wc-15
I already have a box but I have at least 70 liters for the woofer and I can go up to 110 liters... it's too much for 10" seas
You modified the hypex preset ?

Gremlins

I didn't modify seas preset, i believe these are perfectly made and provide extreme linear response.

I use the EQ on the preset #1

There's no lack in trebble as is, if you want a little more sparkle, you adjust the EQ in hypex module.

In fact, that's a speaker you tailor to your taste.. easy

If you use another box and woofer, then its another speaker and you need to re-do presets ..

No need for large woofers in my opinion

This speaker inclued two subwoofers perfectly integrated to bandwidth .. that's more than enough to ramble the whole building hahaha

Seb75

Thanks,
Yes it is to incorporate in a much larger cabinet.. minimum 75 liters for the sealed woofer

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Hello Juhazi,

I have a large cabinet and I would like to start from this coax and add a 15" woofer.

do you think it makes sense, the C18EN002 DSP presets are available on the Seas website

Do you think this design is superior to the Faital 3WC-15 or Troel Gravessen's Fusion 3?

the C18EN002 is a good choice for a big 3 ways ?

ABOUT Hyper HD Filter

1 - Why only preset 3 allows me to see the curve in black with "Show sum of all..."

2- The black curve is the corrected curve? why is she so strange and not straight?
Hi, I do belive that they sound good. C18 with 15" soofeer must sound very good, but all speakeers are 90% of implementation. Hypex FA gives good possibibities to execellent sound, but pioneering work must be done. I have downloaded SEAS HFD files and they don't look very good to me. Too much small adjustments to get on-axis sound flat... Different presets change only bass response.

HFD has very difficult UI, I don't always understand it. I don't even try to download my own measurements in it, but use flat response as starting point, and check acoustic response with REW.

Seb75

But it s hard to have a flat response in my appartement....i work with rew and umik

which 15" or 12" do you choose for work with C18en002 to be in 75 or 110 liters closed and to be cut between 250 and 350 hz ... I'm not trying to go very low

if there are so many adjustments for the C18en002, maybe it would be better to go for a 6" and a more regular tweeter that will require less egalisation

Last edited:

Seb75

yes there are a lot of small boost and cut. Isn't it detrimental to listening

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Hi, I've been busy lately...
No recommendations of woofers!
Right now I don't remember other projects with C18, but Jon March at HTGuide Mission Possible has started one it's on hold now

Gremlins

Still so happy with these speakers.
Last week end, went to a friends house with them ( i wont do it often as they weight a lot especially stands that are filled with cement)

They out perform a set up of 25000 euro made of mcintosh amp and sonus farber speaker, trully and thats what the owner concluded after 3h listening ... but the expensive set up was better looking though ...

Digital_Thor

Could'n help myself when I saw a used pair... had to try :D

The boxes are just lying around for some BMS Coax's, that I never got to really work on. Cut-out fitted perfectly, and I must admit that it plays really nice. At the floor, it can be seen that I normally play with a small top, consisting of Satori MW13TX and SB26ADC in a Augerpro WG - which is a very smooth combo. But the Seas Coax does something... even though the response is a bit ragged. Still working on the filters... and maybe directivity on all Axis'... is more important than the last +/-1dB... time will tell.

DSC_5148.JPG
DSC_5149.JPG
DSC_5152.JPG
DSC_5153.JPG
DSC_5160.JPG

Turcoda

I've owned the C18 coaxes for a while and was using them in an open baffle with sealed bass units.

Really good sound. Up there with the KEF References I also owned.

One of these days I may build another baffle for them to replaced my current Neo 10/Neo 3s.

Im about to purchase either this kit or a kef r11. Do you really think this competes with the newer kef r meta line or even maybe the kef reference?

Turcoda

Could'n help myself when I saw a used pair... had to try :D

The boxes are just lying around for some BMS Coax's, that I never got to really work on. Cut-out fitted perfectly, and I must admit that it plays really nice. At the floor, it can be seen that I normally play with a small top, consisting of Satori MW13TX and SB26ADC in a Augerpro WG - which is a very smooth combo. But the Seas Coax does something... even though the response is a bit ragged. Still working on the filters... and maybe directivity on all Axis'... is more important than the last +/-1dB... time will tell.

View attachment 268834View attachment 268835View attachment 268836View attachment 268837View attachment 268838
Thats amazing! Actually i considered the satori textreme woofers and tweeters as well, but im told they are extremely smooth. What do you think of this coax driver now that you've had time with it?

paulgyro

Im about to purchase either this kit or a kef r11. Do you really think this competes with the newer kef r meta line or even maybe the kef reference?
As amazing as this kit might be I find it hard to believe it would be better then the R11 in most regards. Why? The size and number of quality drivers of the R11 (6.5" x 4) has over 1.5 times the surface area of the R11. Additionally the Seas kit is a sealed design vs ported. The Seas kit is most likely going to image better and disappear more easily. For the size I bet the Seas kit is amazing, maybe even unbeatable for the size / price performance ratio but over all I think the R11 will be better.

That being said, this is much conjecture on my part as we don't have detailed measurements of the Seas kit.

We do of the R11 non-meta here: https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

Also your room comes into play here.

My thoughts: : low sensitively, way less bass then I expected starting to roll off just under 100 hz. Rolled off highs at 10k.

In the end, if you want a speaker of your own creation, Seas kit. If not, R11.

Just my 2 cents.

Paul

Turcoda

As amazing as this kit might be I find it hard to believe it would be better then the R11 in most regards. Why? The size and number of quality drivers of the R11 (6.5" x 4) has over 1.5 times the surface area of the R11. Additionally the Seas kit is a sealed design vs ported. The Seas kit is most likely going to image better and disappear more easily. For the size I bet the Seas kit is amazing, maybe even unbeatable for the size / price performance ratio but over all I think the R11 will be better.

That being said, this is much conjecture on my part as we don't have detailed measurements of the Seas kit.

We do of the R11 non-meta here: https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

Also your room comes into play here.

My thoughts: : low sensitively, way less bass then I expected starting to roll off just under 100 hz. Rolled off highs at 10k.

In the end, if you want a speaker of your own creation, Seas kit. If not, R11.

Just my 2 cents.

Paul
Yeah i mean i kinda assumed the same. Im more concerned about microdetails and precision than surface area. I think the added value comes when you factor out the need for an external amp to drive the r11s. I suspect the Seas kit would rival or beat the r3 metas powered by a really good amp. Thats more of an apples to apples comparison because both are, after all, just large bookshelf speakers, right? If the Seas kit outdid the nuance and details of the r3, id jump on them right away because it would stand to reason they would out perform the r11s in detail as well. They happen to share the same midrange and tweeter.

Digital_Thor

Thats amazing! Actually i considered the satori textreme woofers and tweeters as well, but im told they are extremely smooth. What do you think of this coax driver now that you've had time with it?
After some time fiddling around with the Textreme, the Seas Coax and now the KEF Coax type R ( dedicated midrange. Then I must say that the Seas is a little more tricky to work with. It plays nicely, but not as smooth and refined as the KEF - which actually makes great sense when you look at the design. The Seas might have a smooth suspension around the midrange cone to minimize diffraction - but the KEF is better with its mandarin dispersion control around the tweeter, along with a bigger stationary surface area around it, before the transition to the midrange cone.
What both the Coax's do better, is the more smooth radiation - which leaves a bigger seating area, without compromising the listening experience too much.

Top Bottom