• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SEAS KingRo4y MK3 Kit

Turcoda

After some time fiddling around with the Textreme, the Seas Coax and now the KEF Coax type R ( dedicated midrange. Then I must say that the Seas is a little more tricky to work with. It plays nicely, but not as smooth and refined as the KEF - which actually makes great sense when you look at the design. The Seas might have a smooth suspension around the midrange cone to minimize diffraction - but the KEF is better with its mandarin dispersion control around the tweeter, along with a bigger stationary surface area around it, before the transition to the midrange cone.
What both the Coax's do better, is the more smooth radiation - which leaves a bigger seating area, without compromising the listening experience too much.
Which one sounds faster and more crisp and more detailed? I feel like the dsp would take care of any problems with the coax of the kingro4y kit. The response curve looks fairly flat.

Digital_Thor

Which one sounds faster and more crisp and more detailed? I feel like the dsp would take care of any problems with the coax of the kingro4y kit. The response curve looks fairly flat.
True that a DSP can do lots of tricks. But I'll share some measurements when the weekend comes, to make a more clear point :)

Turcoda

True that a DSP can do lots of tricks. But I'll share some measurements when the weekend comes, to make a more clear point :)
I DO believe the measurements are wonky. However, I think thats why they fork over the filter files with the speaker kit. Its supposed to flatten out the wonkiness. Thats why i didnt mind trying these speakers. 1) No need to fuss over manually putting together the crossovers 2) Guaranteed flat response 3) Can sell my monoblocks to hep pay for these 4) Fewer wires and cleaner space due to built in amp/dac. Seriously, all I see with these are positives. But I want to know how they sound first... I suspect that the mk3 kit would be on par with the Kef Reference series instead of the Kef R3 / Metas. But could be wrong.

Turcoda

I bought this kit. I'll report back with some results. I suspect they'll outperform or match Kef Reference bookshelves for a fraction of the cost. Without the need for a preamp, dac, and amp, I don't think many high end bookshelf systems would outperform this kit dollar for dollar. Furthermore, the 9+ inch woofers might be enough to forego a subwoofer. Its just a lot of cost savings that add up when factored altogether. I'm also going to build a satori textreme tweeter/woofer pair after these and might be able to report back in a few weeks.

sfdoddsy

Im about to purchase either this kit or a kef r11. Do you really think this competes with the newer kef r meta line or even maybe the kef reference?
I haven't owned the R Meta, but I have owned the the r3s, the Ref 201 and listened to the previous Ref 1s.

The Seas is right up there with them.

paulgyro

I bought this kit. I'll report back with some results. I suspect they'll outperform or match Kef Reference bookshelves for a fraction of the cost. Without the need for a preamp, dac, and amp, I don't think many high end bookshelf systems would outperform this kit dollar for dollar. Furthermore, the 9+ inch woofers might be enough to forego a subwoofer. Its just a lot of cost savings that add up when factored altogether. I'm also going to build a satori textreme tweeter/woofer pair after these and might be able to report back in a few weeks.
Awesome, where did you buy it from? Also it would be great if you sent it to Amir to measure!

Gremlins

Actually, the seas kit use a subwoofer.. so you get a pair..

This kit is amazing, period

Only an Audiophile with plenty of believes woumd have something to complain about, others will just enjoy them and never go back to another speaker

Murkas

Hi!
I stumbled across this thread and got really interested. I have two L26ROY laying around as well as two hyped amps. Can I use them to replace the L26RO4Y?

Turcoda

I haven't owned the R Meta, but I have owned the the r3s, the Ref 201 and listened to the previous Ref 1s.

The Seas is right up there with them.

Well, I just finished the build today. These ARE amazing. They're crisp, they're clean, and they're easy to set up. I demoed the Kef R3s and the Kef Ls50 Metas the other month and left unimpressed. This SEAS kit is definitely superior. I don't have experience with the Reference line, but I doubt they would come anywhere close to the value proposition offered by this kit. Throw in the value of the two internal Hypex amps/dac and you obliterate most stereo passive speaker offerings on the market. I had Schiit Tyr amps powering a pair of 1.7i Magnepans last year before I moved, and these sound cleaner, are less intrusive, and are just overall a better value. I've got a single optical cable leading from my gaming desktop to the right speaker and an SPDIF cable leading from the right speaker to the left. The plate amps are just slightly warm to the touch and run amazingly well. I no longer need over 100lbs of my Schiit amps anymore (mind you they were pretty amazing), my Mytek dac, and several feet of cables all over the place. Yeah these might be big and bulky, but they're sealed enclosures and can be placed against a wall.

Turcoda

Hi!
I stumbled across this thread and got really interested. I have two L26ROY laying around as well as two hyped amps. Can I use them to replace the L26RO4Y?

The DSP files are quite specific and I'm sure they used careful measurements to tune the frequency curves of all 3 drivers. With that said, You're able to tweak those settings yourself if you have time on your hands. With DSP you can do just about anything. Its just that they went out of their way doing all that for you under very specific circumstances - that being the exact drivers and box dimensions. I think this kit caters to people that want an easy set up process. There is no crossover needing to be built, and its impossible to mess up if you use the dsp files they provided you and correct dimensions of the enclosures. You'd be going in uncharted territory and MIGHT need to tweak things. Or you might find it sounds fine and don't need too. You can try and see. If it doesn't work out you can always try selling the older woofers and buying the new ones if you can find a buyer.

Turcoda

I have build this kit mk3
That's a keeper, end game

My proof is that i didn't look at anyother speaker for months now ... i'm no more interested in changing.

I must have had 15, 20 speakers already ..some very expensive ...

Though, i will need to re-do painting so that i can admire it a little more .. i need to find a car painter now

I'm still playing with EQ to fine tune to my pleasure. The way i do it is i adjust a little ..listen two or three weeks , then readjust if needed..

I also change placements step by step .. these are heavy speaker

Basically went through the same ordeal on my end.
I need to paint these as well, but I dont ever want to unplug them now : P
I found some small end tables at costco that are basically the same exact dimensions as the speakers themselves. Sturdy and with internal storage space for remotes and such. They've even got power and usb connections, making them infinitely more practical than any speaker stands on the market. These speakers look kinda neat with these tables. I can say I like this setup more than any tower speaker I've had in the past.

paulgyro

Well, I just finished the build today. These ARE amazing. They're crisp, they're clean, and they're easy to set up. I demoed the Kef R3s and the Kef Ls50 Metas the other month and left unimpressed. This SEAS kit is definitely superior. I don't have experience with the Reference line, but I doubt they would come anywhere close to the value proposition offered by this kit. Throw in the value of the two internal Hypex amps/dac and you obliterate most stereo passive speaker offerings on the market. I had Schiit Tyr amps powering a pair of 1.7i Magnepans last year before I moved, and these sound cleaner, are less intrusive, and are just overall a better value. I've got a single optical cable leading from my gaming desktop to the right speaker and an SPDIF cable leading from the right speaker to the left. The plate amps are just slightly warm to the touch and run amazingly well. I no longer need over 100lbs of my Schiit amps anymore (mind you they were pretty amazing), my Mytek dac, and several feet of cables all over the place. Yeah these might be big and bulky, but they're sealed enclosures and can be placed against a wall.
Awesome! Please send to Amir for measurements!

Turcoda

Awesome! Please send to Amir for measurements!

LOL I think I'll pass. These are my babies now. They weigh like 80 pounds and I'm not made out of money. I really don't need someone to validate how much I'm enjoying my audio. They sound quite detailed and neutral to me.
1) If you really care about measurements, you can find similar measurements for the same family of hypex ncore amps on several threads on here.
2) SEAS provides DSP filters to EQ these and ensure they measure really flat with like no effort on the user's part. They were designed and measured with a specific enclosure dimension in mind. Anybody following the exact build process can have these measuring the same as the manufacturer's provided specs. That's kinda the whole point of this kit and the plate amps. As for the dispersion characteristics of the individual drivers themselves, I'd recommend checking out the charts for the individual SEAS drivers on the manufacturer site. It'll give a good enough idea.

paulgyro

LOL I think I'll pass. These are my babies now. They weigh like 80 pounds and I'm not made out of money. I really don't need someone to validate how much I'm enjoying my audio. They sound quite detailed and neutral to me.
1) If you really care about measurements, you can find similar measurements for the same family of hypex ncore amps on several threads on here.
2) SEAS provides DSP filters to EQ these and ensure they measure really flat with like no effort on the user's part. They were designed and measured with a specific enclosure dimension in mind. Anybody following the exact build process can have these measuring the same as the manufacturer's provided specs. That's kinda the whole point of this kit and the plate amps. As for the dispersion characteristics of the individual drivers themselves, I'd recommend checking out the charts for the individual SEAS drivers on the manufacturer site. It'll give a good enough idea.
I hear you man and understand. I had to try though.

socialclubsound

Hey everyone, I was happy to find this thread. Info on these speakers has been hard to come by. I'm not sure if you're interested or not, but I'm just wrapping up a very in-depth build video for these SEAS King RO4Y MKIII speakers. I'll have in room measurements in the video. I'm doing a live premiere on youtube on Sept 2, 2023 at 1pm EST / 5pm GMT for anyone interested. I finished the speakers just over a week ago and I'm still in awe. I use them as studio monitors in my studio and they've been an honest revelation. I'm coming from Amphion One18s with an Amp500. So I had some money invested in good speakers before. But, these things are phenomenal and closer to the new active Amphion One25A or the Ex Machina Pulsars. I totally get the previous message about not being interested in other speakers anymore. i didn't put any of my other monitors back up as B references. I don't need them. It's truly full range from 20-20k. The video has been a monster and I'm still editing it, but it will be ready on time. Hope to see some of you there! -Von Hertzog

paulgyro

Hey everyone, I was happy to find this thread. Info on these speakers has been hard to come by. I'm not sure if you're interested or not, but I'm just wrapping up a very in-depth build video for these SEAS King RO4Y MKIII speakers. I'll have in room measurements in the video. I'm doing a live premiere on youtube on Sept 2, 2023 at 1pm EST / 5pm GMT for anyone interested. I finished the speakers just over a week ago and I'm still in awe. I use them as studio monitors in my studio and they've been an honest revelation. I'm coming from Amphion One18s with an Amp500. So I had some money invested in good speakers before. But, these things are phenomenal and closer to the new active Amphion One25A or the Ex Machina Pulsars. I totally get the previous message about not being interested in other speakers anymore. i didn't put any of my other monitors back up as B references. I don't need them. It's truly full range from 20-20k. The video has been a monster and I'm still editing it, but it will be ready on time. Hope to see some of you there! -Von Hertzog
I'm certainly interested to hear more! How do we find your channel?

Top Bottom