• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Vidar - Sensitive to USB noise?

Chitami

Hi, Have you tried to convert usb signal to toslink then input toslink to Modi 3+. It sound simple hope it fix your ground loop like many ppls who have modius ground loop success. Douk Audio USB Converter XMOS XU208

Chitami

Hi everyone!

Long time no talk.

I wanted to follow up on this thread to let you know how my solutions worked out.

Here's what the final cure looks like to solve both the ground loop buzz/noise I was hearing from the speakers, and the varying hum I was hearing from the Vidar unit itself, with a Hum X going into an Emotiva CMX-2
  • Hum X solves the varying electrical noise and hum coming from the speakers depending on what grounded equipment is connected
  • Emotiva CMX-2 cleans up the DC on AC lines issue I was having, which caused lots of varying levels of hum from the Vidar. Now there's only the slightest 60hz murmur if my ear is literally against the unit, where-as before you could hear it from a metre away in a dead silent room.

View attachment 107282

I wanted to paste a portion of my email thread with Bill from Morley (the company who now owns EbTech) in regards to safety using the HumX. I reached out because their disclaimer about not using on Power Amps had deterred me initially.

(answers from Bill are in Red)

We put that disclaimer on the box so it makes people check to see if they can use it at which time we remind them about the 6 amp (720 watt) limit.

If the unit fails, the LED goes out and the unit no longer passes power

If it is a piece of equipment that ultimately ends up getting touched by a person (Guitar amp to Guitar Player, bass amp to bass player, PA System to Microphone to singer…), then those people would be susceptible to a shock should there be any grounding issues or power surges. Basically the rule of thumb is NEVER MAKE A THREE PRONG PLUG INTO A TWO PRONG PLUG BY WAY OF A GROUND LIFT ADAPTER

Yes, if Hum X fails it does not pass power so whatever if plugged into the Hum X shuts off too.

END THREAD

Bill at Ebtech was super helpful!

Anywhoo.. I hope this journey helps someone that decides to stick with the Vidar should they hear some noise from the unit, or if this is their first time working with a ground loop caused by a power amp. This did mean there were some hidden costs, but that's not really the Vidar's fault, It helped me learn a lot about cleaning up signals, and I still had some money to spare to get everything as noisless as possible, so it didn't break the bank. I am extremely happy with the end result and just as happy with the knowledge gained in the process.

Later!
After reading this long journey you been through, you seem very patient. I have the AIYIMA 2.1 with MODI 3+ and sound great. I have Vidar on the way after 7 weeks back order till now. I hope my mac mini doesn't introduce the ground loop issue through usb. But if it does, I may go with toslink solution to see.

OP
Yawnny

Yawnny

Hi, Have you tried to convert usb signal to toslink then input toslink to Modi 3+. It sound simple hope it fix your ground loop like many ppls who have modius ground loop success. Douk Audio USB Converter XMOS XU208
Hello! I had tried this method with a Topping D10s, which can give you optical out. The only issue is I couldn't get sound out of the D10s with optical out. Tried numerous troubleshooting steps, ended up returning it.

I can almost guarantee that if you get a working optical out that it will be noise-free, so if that's a solution for you great!

Chitami

I just want to follow up with what I did to remove unwanted noice ground loop, etc.
I bought Douk Audio USB Converter XMOS XU208 on ebay with price $34 (free shipping) and great It came today. AND it FIXED the issue and HERE How simple.

When using on Modi Schiit connect to main usb 2.0 of Mini Apple Mac M1, I constantly get humming sound very low Frequency and very small but when sound off I can hear it when put my ear 0.5 m away.

I still experience ground loop even using toslink spdif from xmos WHEN i connect the xmos micro --usb 2.0 cable to the main usb of the MINI M1 Apple; and with the DAC SCHIIT Modi 3+ to the USB C hub extension Anker.

To FIX the problem: Simply connect the XMOS micro --usb 2.0 cable to the Usb C hub extension Anker; The DAX SCHHIT Modi 3+ to the USB 2.0 of the main board MINI M1 Apple.
Complete no noice, clear, crispy sound.

BONUS: great thing about Douk Audio USB Converter XMOS XU208 is it have Volume control intergrate in software so I can control directly on my Mac Mini and adjust the PCM khz with adjust volume of L and R since my right speaker is bit louder i just tweak it bit smaller. That IS it.
Thank for reading and give all wonderful idea.

Top Bottom