• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Tyr mono amplifier

James Romeyn

Dealer
Brystons are particularly known to pair well with Maggies. New ones are pretty pricey, but with 20 year warranties, older models can be purchased used and still be covered under factory warranty.
Ca. 2015 RMAF: Bryston and eXasound had a multi-channel display, 4.0 IIRC. I heard that demo and it was frankly fantastic (no financial interest.)

Native multi-ch DSD programs > eXasound multi-ch DSD DAC > direct to 4 or 5 ch Bryston amp of that era, IIRC just prior to the Cube series > 1 small to mid-size Maggie per each corner. Lynn Olson heard and loved that demo. Lynn is hugely into exotic DIY tube preamps and power amps. Exasound posted Lynn's online rave of that display.

Koifla

I was hoping for a measured review. I found the TYR fantastic on everything. Bass, mids , dynamic, soundstage. Even without my subs the bass was better than before. I’ve heard other owners compare it to amps costing much more.

Attachments

• 850615BD-B386-4FA8-9316-91E289F73E1B.jpeg
    850615BD-B386-4FA8-9316-91E289F73E1B.jpeg
    345.7 KB · Views: 284

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was hoping for a measured review. I found the TYR fantastic on everything. Bass, mids , dynamic, soundstage. Even without my subs the bass was better than before. I’ve heard other owners compare it to amps costing much more.
In other words, it's capable of higher output power.

Not terrible value at all.

James Romeyn

Dealer
What amps "costing much more?" I would highly appreciate links. Tx!

Trudius

What amps "costing much more?" I would highly appreciate links. Tx!
The Tyrs are probably priced well, but Amir reviewed the Outlaw models 2200 and 2220 (newer), which are monoblocks, and they were both outstanding. They are rated by the manufacturer at 200 W into 8 ohms and 300 W into 4 ohms. Two of them are priced at $700. can't see why that would be a worse deal.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The January 2023 issue of Stereophile has a very favorable review of the Tyr. "The Schiit Tyr offers superb measured performance. ... Strongly recommended" - John Atkinson.

James Romeyn

Dealer
How the heck does Schiit make a quality 50+# amp here, with CRPS/choke reg. PS and sell it for $3200/pr? That just doesn't seem possible; it seems like the minimum price would be about double that.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How the heck does Schiit make a quality 50+# amp here, with CRPS/choke reg. PS and sell it for $3200/pr? That just doesn't seem possible; it seems like the minimum price would be about double that.
The answer, I think, is the direct-to-consumer sales model. If the sales price is $3200, it seems reasonable to think that a pair could be produced at a cost of $1600.

Turcoda

Purchased an AHB2 instead of the Tyrs months ago. Now that there was a sale recently, I decided to try out the Tyrs too. I'll report back the differences I hear with my 1.7i. I suspect I'll be happy enough to want to sell the AHB2.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Purchased an AHB2 instead of the Tyrs months ago. Now that there was a sale recently, I decided to try out the Tyrs too. I'll report back the differences I hear with my 1.7i. I suspect I'll be happy enough to want to sell the AHB2.
...that would be shocking.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
...that would be shocking.
Why? Tyr has roughly twice the power of the ABH2 unless you have 2 ABH2’s bridged. If the 1.7i’s want more power because they are inefficient- and they are inefficient, the Tyr will likely win that contest. The ABH2 measurements are incredibly good, but in the real world- will you hear the better measurements or lack of clipping? Turcoda will be able to make judgments because of having both to compare.

Turcoda

Why? Tyr has roughly twice the power of the ABH2 unless you have 2 ABH2’s bridged. If the 1.7i’s want more power because they are inefficient- and they are inefficient, the Tyr will likely win that contest. The ABH2 measurements are incredibly good, but in the real world- will you hear the better measurements or lack of clipping? Turcoda will be able to make judgments because of having both to compare.

Alriighhhhht I had to take time off from studying a chem exam because hearing the Tyrs could absolutely wait no longer.
So I had one speaker hooked up to the AHB2 and another hooked up to the Tyr for super quick and efficient switching. Let me start by sayin that a single AHB2 has more than enough power to listen to 1.7is in a medium room at moderate levels. Mind you I don't enjoy listening at loud volumes and never once did I feel that a single AHB2 wasn't enough for a pair of 1.7is. The thing is that AHB2 are better at driving low impedance speakers than most amps, so I don't notice it struggling at all. In fact, the AHB2 is god tier at rendering details in the bass region, even on 1.7is. Yes the Tyrs have more power, but I think i was looking for something else than power when I bought these. I think I was looking for flavor or dynamics. As my younger friends would say: the Tyrs slap hard. Yep, right away I think the Tyrs sound more dynamic and quite different from the AHB2. I'm actually starting to understand why certain people like the AHB2 and others don't. The AHB2 is quite lean in comparison and the notes have a bit more spacing inbetween and kinda hit you faster. I would say that AHB2 is different than most other amplifiers rather than the Tyrs being more different. The Tyrs might sound a bit less linear and have a bit more weight and sound less analytical. The Tyr might have a bit more weight in the mids and certainly sound different in the highs. However, they both have similar levels of detail, or at least I should say I don't feel like im missing anything with the Tyrs - not like I felt like when I was testing lesser amps anyhow. So the difference in detail certainly isn't night and day. My main audio listening is essentially an SR1a with a Jot R amp. This setup is basically the definition of sharp and lean and I dont think any other headphone on the market would match that. I feel like AHB2 exemplifies those qualities, so it's not like i don't appreciate that type of sound at all. I would say both achieve similar levels of great audio quality and if you went with either one of them you still come out a winner. The human brain has an amazing ability to adapt to almost anything, and despite these amps sounding different, I could live with either one and I'm sure you could as well. Most people would have no qualms about being force to live with one over the other. After a couple of listening sessions you could be forgiven for thinking that the flavor they exude is what music should sound like. Neither do anything wrong, but they do offer slightly different flavors. Please keep in mind that the linearity and leanness and analytical side, along with every other quality befit of the AHB2, must very well still be considered a specific flavor of audio. No matter what purist audiophiles think of it as being reference level audio, it still exemplifies qualities different than most other amps on the market. Either way, after having spent several months with the AHB2 I think it might be time for me to try something different and keep the Tyrs around. I'll keep both for a while and report back if I change my mind in the future. I live in Canada and had trouble justifying the Tyrs with the hefty shipping (over 250$ USD) cost and duties (this was over 500$ CAD for me). I only purchased them during the black Friday sale for a reason. I know schiit was originally against sales, but people on the fence with these things just wouldn't have purchased them without that happening. I can post more comments after many more hours of breaking in, but in my experience with hardware is that it doesn't change a significant amount after several days - at least not nearly as much as your brain adapts to the changes.

Turcoda

I just wanted to add that making a conclusion about perceived details is quite tricky here between the two amps. Does the AHB2 sound sharper than the Tyrs? Yes, definitely. But is there more detail in one over the other? I don't actually know yet. If you just do a super quick comparison between the two it sounds like the AHB2 would most definitely have more detail. But if you listen longer you notice that there's nothing missing from the Tyrs, and that sharpness is just how the AHB2 presents things. Its just a tad bit difficult to conclude one way or the other.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I just wanted to add that making a conclusion about perceived details is quite tricky here between the two amps. Does the AHB2 sound sharper than the Tyrs? Yes, definitely. But is there more detail in one over the other? I don't actually know yet. If you just do a super quick comparison between the two it sounds like the AHB2 would most definitely have more detail. But if you listen longer you notice that there's nothing missing from the Tyrs, and that sharpness is just how the AHB2 presents things. Its just a tad bit difficult to conclude one way or the other.
People often confuse detail with insufficient bass foundation. The 1.7i's sound terrific but they miss the low bass without some subwoofer help. That being said - there is the low efficiency of Magnapans which likes power to "come alive". Perhaps the additional headroom of the Tyr is the differentiator.

Turcoda

I have a Martin Logan 1600x subwoofer that I hardly use because I dont want to disturb others. I feel like my 1.7is do fine enough without a sub. Others might disagree. I actually prefer sub quality over quantity. I honestly think both amps are capable of bringing maggies alive. The only thing I would say is that 3.7is or higher might be a different story altogether. Probably dont want a single AHB2 for those ones. The low impedance ratings for the AHB2 prove that its perfectly fine for driving maggies. The AHB2 might have more bass detail than the Tyr. Not 100% sure though.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Review from Stereophile
Hum... That's weird:
1000013713.jpg

Top Bottom