• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Skoll Balanced Phono Stage Review

Rate this phono stage:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 78 56.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 45 32.8%

• Total voters

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am considering a step up transformer, one of the $200 cheapos on the bay maybe. What's the advantage over just the preamp?
Lower added noise. I’m not clear exactly how much difference it makes for “quality” in spending more for one SUT versus another. The SNR for a preamp like the one reviewed may make it a more affordable gain option than a SUT plus a good MM phonostage.

It’s also obviously convenient to have all your phono gain in a single box, which may be less susceptible to pick up stray hum.

I have two phonos and both use SUTs; one is internal and the other is external to the phono.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I truly appreciate Amir continuing to do measurements of phono preamps despite the howls of obsolescence from digital purists.

Phonos are still relevant to the segment of audio enthusiasts who still enjoy vinyl, without needing to assert that it is technically “better”.

I’m one of those who came to vinyl after 25 years of exclusively digital listening. I sit here now, content, enjoying Vince Guaraldi’s Christmas album on vinyl despite owning multiple other digital copies.

Perhaps using this preamp may give another vinyl aficionado a similar sense of satisfaction. The numbers look pretty good, too.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
So I have a dumb question.. since phono cartridges are balanced… but RCA is SE.. what exactly happens if I where to go from RCA out into the skoll and from there with XLR into a amplifier?

Not sure if this preamp would be a upgrade to the internal one in my Technics SL1500C ?

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So I have a dumb question.. since phono cartridges are balanced… but RCA is SE.. what exactly happens if I where to go from RCA out into the skoll and from there with XLR into a amplifier?

Not sure if this preamp would be a upgrade to the internal one in my Technics SL1500C ?

Cons: there's no balanced noise immunity (with short cables and far from power supplies ... surely is the same)
Pros: there's no sound quality degradation and some natural added gain

Better than internal preamp? The Technics comes adjusted for Ortofon MM, if you use other cartridges the schiit can be better with the wide adjustments set

Cougar

Hello,

I have the Skoll, and I sent my original back for replacement as the left channel had a "buzzing" type noise that was clearly audible when you put your ear up to the midrange and tweeter. This did not present itself on the right channel. The replacment Schiit sent was better, but the same problem. I have 2 other phono stages on hand, a MoFI Studio and a Rega Fono, neither of these have the noise in the same system, using the same equipment.

I've also swapped cables, check the same RCA inputs using other gear, tried plugging in to different outlets etc.... When I swap the L and R RCA's coming out of the Skoll into my preamp (Schiit Kara) the noise switches sides. Again, this is only with my ear up by the speaker, less than a foot.

I guess my question is, did you hear anything like this when you tested? I'm baffled, and I seem to have isolated this to the Skoll, both units I've had.

Any input welcomed!

Thanks,

Chris Rud
I have a question if you don't mind? Did you try shorting plugs on the input of the RCA connector on your Skoll? This will tell you if the problem is the Skoll or before it. Most of the time it's something else before the phono preamps.

Beav80

I have a question if you don't mind? Did you try shorting plugs on the input of the RCA connector on your Skoll? This will tell you if the problem is the Skoll or before it. Most of the time it's something else before the phono preamps.
I had this same problem. Sent the second Skoll back and got a refund. When trouble shooting, I swapped the left/right RCA's coming into the Skoll. The buzz remained in the left channel.
When I switched the RCA's of the output, the buzz moved to the right. I concluded that the sound was indeed coming from Skoll.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I had this same problem. Sent the second Skoll back and got a refund. When trouble shooting, I swapped the left/right RCA's coming into the Skoll. The buzz remained in the left channel.
When I switched the RCA's of the output, the buzz moved to the right. I concluded that the sound was indeed coming from Skoll.

News if this was Just bad luck or did shiit fix this issue? I’m really interested in the Skoll as upgrade sometimes next year but a Buzz in one channel is something I definitely don’t want.

Beav80

News if this was Just bad luck or did shiit fix this issue? I’m really interested in the Skoll as upgrade sometimes next year but a Buzz in one channel is something I definitely don’t want.
Seems for some, it's barely noticeable. It was definitely too noticeable to ignore in both units I tried. I haven't heard anything regarding a solution or fix.

Toroid

I can't hear the buzz at my listening position at normal listening volume, only if I put my ear up to the speaker I can. If I turn up the volume to reference level I can hear the buzz at listening position which is a bit annoying since I like to do that when the wife leaves the house, but once the music starts it's not noticeable. It's one HELL of a great sounding phono pre amp at it's price point and you'll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands even with the small, although annoying flaw. Hopefully they can work out the kinks in Skoll v2 when that comes out in a year or 2.

Digital1955

I can't hear the buzz at my listening position at normal listening volume, only if I put my ear up to the speaker I can. If I turn up the volume to reference level I can hear the buzz at listening position which is a bit annoying since I like to do that when the wife leaves the house, but once the music starts it's not noticeable. It's one HELL of a great sounding phono pre amp at it's price point and you'll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands even with the small, although annoying flaw. Hopefully they can work out the kinks in Skoll v2 when that comes out in a year or 2.
I don't think they should be waiting for V2 to fix anything. I've seen this discussed on other forums and in youtube comments on reviews of this unit. Maybe its all the same people, but? I had a friend pick one up recently and I intend on test measuring both the balanced and unbalanced inputs and outputs for all the gain settings.

AZDino

I just joined this forum so I could comment. I got a Skoll for Christmas and found a buzz in the left channel. I'm using a SoundSmith Carmen MkII on a Pro-Ject Perspective. Also plugged it into my office system, an old Technics turntable with a MM Shure cart. Same thing, buzz in the left channel. It's quiet, but the left channel isn't as quiet as my Jolida JD9 and lowering the noise floor was one of my main goals with getting the Skoll. The right channel is much quieter than the JD9. Sent it back and I'm waiting for the replacement to arrive. I'll update when I check that one out.

gxleetw

I also got one around the same time, so far so good, no issue at all. Super quiet and revealing in a pleasant way. Just another data point.
Noticed that the shipping time now is 2-3 weeks. Maybe a sign of some issue being dealt with?

AZDino

Well, the new one has the same buzz in the left channel, but after doing a better comparison, it's at least as quiet as the Jolida. Maybe this one is quieter than than the first Skoll I had, not sure. Soundstage is wider, more 3d and transparent. Highs are cleaner, overall sound is less fatiguing. Smooth is the word that comes to mind, but it's dynamic. I'm keeping it. It would be great to try several different pres, but that's too hard. The buzz seems to be below the noise of the record, and it's only there when I have 47k selected, so I'm less concerned about future MC cartridges than I was originally. A/B'd it with the Jolida quite a bit and the difference is immediately clear. And it's output is lower, which was another reason I was looking for something new. The Jolida's output was overloading the tape outs on my preamp. I think I'm gonna be quite happy with the Skoll.

AZDino

I also got one around the same time, so far so good, no issue at all. Super quiet and revealing in a pleasant way. Just another data point.
Noticed that the shipping time now is 2-3 weeks. Maybe a sign of some issue being dealt with?
I noticed that too, but my replacement was shipped within a couple days.

Toroid

So even though I'm happy with the overall sound of the Skoll and won't likely return it, I did put in a formal complaint to Schiit about the buzzing issue, so if they don't see it as an issue yet, hopefully, this will help steer them in the right direction to help resolve the issue for everyone.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's an excellent question and one that I have asked many times over the years. I have only once owned a MC cartridge, a low output Denon DL-304, that while quite good, it failed to truly impress and reignite my passion for LP reproduction...
MC cartridges don’t always sound better, but because they tend to have lower moving mass, they can be better at detail retrieval and high frequency response.

But, it would be important to have a low noise, very linear preamp to get that output.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A very good preamp is a must for MC cartridges ... many people complain about MC with a good mm preamp but awful MC stage.

It isn't the same to amplify 40dB ... than 60dB.

I personally use a passive transformer to have decent MC preamplification. Then, listen to a good MC cartridge.

Ive seen a few people write this phono stage pre off over the measured performance of the high pass filter...can anyone explain the reasoning?

Top Bottom