• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Skoll Balanced Phono Stage Review

Rate this phono stage:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 78 56.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 45 32.8%

• Total voters

hoverdonkey

The range of frequency is obliviously well established; infinite and immeasurable perception is not.

I certainly won't be in a position to challenge the science until I am fortunate enough have heard components that all measure well working together.

Currently (and thanks to ASR) I have a a DAC and amp that do. My speakers are the weak link, but I have recently implemented measurement/EQ (also inspired by ASR!) and I am very happy indeed. So it doesn't look like I'll be challenging the science... but that'll never stop me wondering about things.

hoverdonkey

Hold on - we are in a review thread.

Discussion is supposed to be limited to the equipment reviewed. Mods will probably be along in a minute to move this junk to the "Are measurements...." thread.

Especially when I self report.:p

EDIT - or perhaps one of the vinyl junk collector threads.

Sorry, you're right... I'll shut up... this isn't the place for history of science discussions... let's get back to the Schiit phono stage.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Hold on - we are in a review thread.

Discussion is supposed to be limited to the equipment reviewed. Mods will probably be along in a minute to move this junk to the "Are measurements...." thread.

Especially when I self report.:p

EDIT - or perhaps one of the vinyl junk collector threads.
Sorry, you're right... I'll shut up... this isn't the place for history of science discussions... let's get back to the Schiit phono stage.
You both are right and we thank you for acknowledging that and bringing the off topic chatter to a gentle close. We can take the rest of the night off now. Thank you kindly ;)

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Looks like those guys at Schiit make amends with you?
There was never a personal thing with me. What changed was them focusing on objectively excellent products. Once there, whether they were nice to me or not, they were going to get positive reviews. This happened about 3 years ago.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I want to use balanced outputs from the preamp for the balanced analog input in minidsp flex. I don't care about balanced inputs in the preamp or the "bad" high pass implementation (I can add the right high pass in the DSP already).

So, skoll really works for me ... as the ifi zen.

GWolfman

Forum Donor
I do also wonder if we are sure that current science can measure everything we can hear.
Not sure, but I know it has been proven that we “hear” things that don’t exist. So reaching an end to being able to measure “all” we truly can hear will likely never occur.

Ian Wendt

I'm still cracking up over Schiit naming their phono stage topology the same as a common anabolic steroid. Incoming trademark lawsuit from Bristol Myers Squibb in 3... 2...

formdissolve

Forum Donor
I really hope this thread doesn't drift into the dreaded analog vs. digital debate.
Reviews on here tend to go off topic pretty damn quickly, so your hopes will be dashed :D

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'm still cracking up over Schiit naming their phono stage topology the same as a common anabolic steroid. Incoming trademark lawsuit from Bristol Myers Squibb in 3... 2...

Their names are mostly Norse, or derivatives of.

1697440870207.png

Over here, skol, skolling or skolled refers to downing a beer in one go. Chugging in the US?

Last edited:

JeremyFife

Ra1zel

Kudos to Schiit for sending products to Amir to review without any assurance of a positive review
They are strategic, you won't see schiit sending here their class A SE headphone amp. They just play both sides of the hobby, no idea why we should praise them.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Who on earth is buying mc carts that only manage +/- 3db on FR? My benz lp is measured to just under +/-0.5db and crosstalk is -29db.

Multicore

Major Contributor
The range of frequency is obliviously well established; infinite and immeasurable perception is not.
Their names are mostly Norse, or derivatives of.

View attachment 319171

Over here, skol, skolling or skolled refers to downing a beer in one go. Chugging in the US?
It was the name of a very well marketed lager beer from Scotland widely consumed in the UK in the 70s (possibly elsewhere and before and after that). I recently watched two movies from that period that had characters walking by huge neon SKOL signs. TV ads were witty like this

iu

formdissolve

Forum Donor
Who on earth is buying mc carts that only manage +/- 3db on FR? My benz lp is measured to just under +/-0.5db and crosstalk is -29db.
I also wonder why Schiit didn't include loading options over 150ohm.. there are plenty of MC carts that require 400+ although I suppose the most common is around 100 or whatever (such as DL-103).

Also, is the Classic Audio MC Pro missing from the chart in the review?

Eldus

Maybe I missed it, but does this unit allow for RCA input and XLR output? (to a balanced amp)

Top Bottom