• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Magnius Balanced Headphone Amp Review

Labjr

Major Contributor
So bad that, there is no Pentaconn balanced output,so i cant use with my 660s.
I know that still many people still using XLR, but at least they should include both option for balanced output.

Btw that big 2nd order distortion in SE mode is basically a tube mode. Even better than most tube amps, because it is giving pure 2.nd order distortion, and no 3rd order and other junk. :D

I'd change the plug or get a balanced cable with an XLR plug. I think the XLR plug is more robust and Schiit appears to use a Neutrik XLR jack. IMO Pentaconn should only be used for small portable devices. I think companies tend to use it because they can use a cheap molded plug or 20 cent plastic jack.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Useful stuff, but this just makes the whole setup more bulky, while the 4.4 is a nice, modern, small footprint standard.
Yeah I agree. Personally I would like to see XLR interconnects and headphone plugs eliminated in favor of 4.4mm, but the demand isn't there yet.

Rusty Shackleford

What did you say about measurements? That Schiit posted their own measurements and they were more or less the same as Amir's? It could even be the same exact unit :)

Schiit is exactly the type of company that would do this. Try searching "Schiit review" on this forum. On multiple occasions their products measured differently across units. Most of their products until 2020 measured like trash.

So doubting them is more than reasonable.

Remember:
1. Schiit's history.
2. Their success is 99% due to marketing, not the product. Modi, Modi 2, Fulla etc. were selling well despite being very bad by all accounts.
3. A company is not your friend, they are just trying to sell you something. What you are saying reads as "Just trust them, lol".

Also if you could point where I suggested spending any money on repeat measurements, that would be great. Most of the stuff measured here gets sent by people who are curious if their DAC/amp performs well, most costs are just shipping. Time spent doing repeat reviews is not wasted no matter how you look at it.

edit: one more thing, Amir has done repeat measurements before so why are you so angry?

Sounds like you are just making baseless accusations and conspiracy theories.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
This is 99% of what I had hoped the next Schiit product would be. Virtually everything is right. The price is impressive. I don't really care about the SE, especially for $230 to my door. I can always plug the SE outs from my modius into my magni heresy if I ever get cheap Beyers or Grados with fixed SE ins. I'll probably just plug the XLRs I already have for all my good headphones into the Magnius though.

My only gripe is that it won't look very good stacked on the silver modius i ordered right when it came out. Too bad Schiit didnt wait until yesterday to add the silver option for the modius. I guess the modius will be going inside the cabinet.

Thanks for another great review @amirm Thanks for another great product @T.M.Noble I ordered the Magnius tonight.

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
Me too. They have incredible footprint in desktop product and as such, can lift the performance of so many systems.
Thanks for this! It is very cool to see them go from selling products that pose a fire risk to earning a Golfing Panther. Would the XLR outs on this work as a preamp/volume control for Genelecs? Not sure what the balanced outs are designed for.

sam

I don't want to be picky but one of the back screws looks glossy while others' are matte.
Other than that, performance is just WOW.

ThomasXia

So many impressive HiFi products come out in 2020!
Is the second order distortion audible? I guess not.

Dnmtsn

I don't want to be picky but one of the back screws looks glossy while others' are matte.
Other than that, performance is just WOW.

honestly, that screw, and product not being available in Europe are the only two things that are holding me back at the moment

Infernosaint

Ultor

Hi,

Last time I ordered, from France, shipping was VERY fast. Like a week.
EU websites are worthless. Import is cheaper, even with custom fees.
By the way, choosing FedEx => Custom fees, for sure.
The others I don't know.

Veri

Master Contributor
FYI, I just got my Modius, ordered from Schiit.com, to Denmark. With shipping it was still cheaper than the EU prices of either http://www.schiit.co.uk/ and https://www.schiit-europe.com/ (where they are not in stock anyway)

And shipping was super fast
While fast and somewhat cheaper than buying within EU, if there's a hardware problem and you need to ship it back it'll cost you. Reason I'd pay the premium is to have that peace of mind.

Ultor

It'll cost even with Europe resellers.
Check Cancelation policies, or return, you'll see.
But we have to be careful about restocking fees too.

It 'll be so good to buy Schiit on Amazon France...

Damian

I debated that but how do you give a lessor rating to an amp that beats the THX AAA 789 in balanced output???

I noted that I don't recommend it for unbalanced out.
Out of curiosity, is the 3db difference noticeable?

MadMan

I dont disagree with most of that ;). More than aware of past reputations and less than ideal quality too, just hope we are a generation or 2 on from that. Nothing will convince me to spend $$$ on a multibit though! And yes, some products and device types need or deserve a retrospective of sorts.

The only thing I'll add regarding this line of thought is I kind of don't like manufacturers seeming to use ASR as pseudo-marketing by sending out products to test on release. On the one hand, it's really nice to get the detailed review done asap, on the other hand it's a tiny step toward ASR appearing a bit less independent. I suppose the former is worth the latter, as long as reviews don't become conditional on approval by the manufacturer.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The only thing I'll add regarding this line of thought is I kind of don't like manufacturers seeming to use ASR as pseudo-marketing by sending out products to test on release. On the one hand, it's really nice to get the detailed review done asap, on the other hand it's a tiny step toward ASR appearing a bit less independent. I suppose the former is worth the latter, as long as reviews don't become conditional on approval by the manufacturer.

That too. And the hyped items that tend to get sent in by manufs drive a lot of traffic.

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
That too. And the hyped items that tend to get sent in my manufs drive a lot of traffic.
It's not pseudo marketing; it's just marketing. I really don't see anything even slightly objectionable about it. They are cooperating to try to give potential customers and readers accurate information about a new product. Marketing at its best.

Schiit is confident it will pass ASR's tough objective muster; maybe they considered ASR's unique SINAD spec. when they designed this. If so, that's good. I value that spec.

I appreciate @T.M.Noble sharing resources and insight, facilitating the availability of information when it is most valuable. I don't think a $200 unit is compromising the integrity of the review. @amirm can have a review that is much more valuable too, because virtually everyone who buys the product will be able to read the review first; rather than only those who buy it a couple weeks or more after launch.

As others have mentioned in this thread, this product looks like another part of what makes this such a great time for listening to music on headphones at home; another important incremental step in a recent rapid stream of inexpensive excellent-measuring DACs and headphone amps.

Top Bottom