• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit JOTUNHEIM 2 released

Kadent

Still only 1.4V output on dac card?
Or is it 2V now?

I believe it's outputting the full 2v this time. I ordered the Asgard 3 with Delta-sigma dac module--when I receive it I'll put a meter on it and check the voltage.

The latest DAC module revision runs two 4490's in parallel going to a pair of op amps for a buffer, OPA1662. This should result in similar performance of modi 3 but I'm not completely sure.

The prior DAC module design had the same DC blocking capacitors as the modi 2 and no sign of a buffer which leads me to think they solved the problem. Here are some pictures:
V1:
1609593024518.png

V1-G2:
1609592977279.png

Attachments

• 1609592964167.png
    1609592964167.png
    89.9 KB · Views: 126

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is really not that good... Unbalanced 32 ohms low gain.

Screenshot_2021-01-02-10-15-19-700_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

D

Deleted member 22273

Asked schiit in november:

Yes, 1.4V.

Nov 16, 2020, 4:37 PST
Hi!

Are the output signal still only 1.4V?
Or have the latest card 2V output?
Wondering to buy a Asgard 3.

D

Deleted member 22273

I want a all in one unit from schiit. With 2v output.
Maybe i should buy something other

Kadent

I might have an idea as to why Schiit limits to 1.4 volts, (again, this is just a prediction, I’ll test when I receive my unit)

the input sensitivity of an amplifier is the maximum voltage that it needs in order to reach rated output without severely clipping.

perhaps the modular Schiit amps have input sensitivity’s of 1.4 volts? It’s honestly a simple tweak to get it to 2 volts, just swap out one or two resistors that set the gain of the op amps.

Maybe @T.M.Noble can chime in on this?

Zensō

Major Contributor
I might have an idea as to why Schiit limits to 1.4 volts, (again, this is just a prediction, I’ll test when I receive my unit)

the input sensitivity of an amplifier is the maximum voltage that it needs in order to reach rated output without severely clipping.

perhaps the modular Schiit amps have input sensitivity’s of 1.4 volts? It’s honestly a simple tweak to get it to 2 volts, just swap out one or two resistors that set the gain of the op amps.

Maybe @T.M.Noble can chime in on this?

The DAC card was reviewed here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/schiit-asgard-3-headphone-amp-dac.14393/

Coldsnap

I have Modius and Magnius and like them.

Potential advantages of Jot2 are preamp switch, silver finish, and 6W into 32 ohms, a tremendous amount of power.

If I had neither, I would go for Modius and Magnius again for measured performance and price.

I won't be surprised if Jot2 measures very well, though not as well as Magnius; i also won't be surprised if it measures kinda poorly, since this was not their stated objective in Chapter 16.

For sure, the Jots put out a ton of power. Seems like it would drive 300ohm headphones very nice out of balanced.

Inkey31

Forum Donor
So what do you guys think? I mean as long has the SINAD is around 110+ is should be a solid amp, right? Providing channel matching is good, all that stuff.

Tons of power on this amp.

Not Daijoubu

IMO if balanced output is better than a Magni 3+'s single-ended, it's probably a fine unit, like how the Magnius outperforms the Magni Heresy except in single ended.

Idk how it'd be reasonable to pay $400 when the Magnius is $200, but for people who drink the Schiit Kool-aid it seems like a well-price unit. Looking forward to Amir (hopefully) measuring this in the future.

Inkey31

Forum Donor
IMO if balanced output is better than a Magni 3+'s single-ended, it's probably a fine unit, like how the Magnius outperforms the Magni Heresy except in single ended.

Idk how it'd be reasonable to pay $400 when the Magnius is $200, but for people who drink the Schiit Kool-aid it seems like a well-price unit. Looking forward to Amir (hopefully) measuring this in the future.

Well it has 1.5W more power then the magnius. Figured it would be good to drive the Susvara.

I do own the Magnius already... IDK if its worth it to jump to the J2 for 1.5W of power.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
No use for a phono card for me but I am leaning towards Magnius/Modius. Unless the reviews of Jot2 somehow justifies the $200 premium over the Magnius. Even Schiit's own marketing says Magnius measures better than the Jot2 though.

From their FAQ:

There are other balanced amps in Jotunheim 2’s price range. What about them?
What about them? They use IC-based topologies, like our Magnius. And may we remind you that Magnius costs far less than these other affordable balanced amps, while (a) far outstripping them in potentiometer quality (using the 27mm Alps RK27114 versus their 9mm potentiometers), and (b) being designed and made right here in California.
But they measure better than Jotunheim 2.
So does Magnius. So if you’re going for measured performance versus cost, Magnius is the logical choice. Get a Magnius and save $200 over a Jotunheim 2. Done.
Really like this no nonsense FAQ answers.

SeaNNyT

Interesting that -94 and change dB THD+N with only 2nd harmonic - and a flat dist vs frequency plot - is considered "bad". It's not bad. It's just not SOTA.

I looked at the wrong measurements. I thought I was looking at magnius. So yes, you are right. With that said, looking through Jotunheim 2's measurements per schiit's own website , it would appear that the Jot 2 more or less is on the same level as the Magnius balanced. My only concern is if the continuous linear power issues have been resolved that plagued other products and were damaging headphones? I am strongly considering it. Unless there are other unknown issues.

lovesegfault

I'd love to see these measured!

Inkey31

Forum Donor
I'd love to see these measured!

You can check the SINAD yourself, they publish the numbers, think its 107DB ish.

However, still would be nice to see an none-objective review.

I want to know how much power its pumping out at 50Ohm's

SeaNNyT

You can check the SINAD yourself, they publish the numbers, think its 107DB ish.

However, still would be nice to see an none-objective review.

I want to know how much power its pumping out at 50Ohm's

Yeah I am curious too. I also want to know if it would be able to handle sensitive headphones or even IEMs. Judging by the graphs per schiit, the balanced looks more or less the same over balanced as their Magnius.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I am curious too. I also want to know if it would be able to handle sensitive headphones or even IEMs. Judging by the graphs per schiit, the balanced looks more or less the same over balanced as their Magnius.

Demoed the Jotunheim 2 with my IEMs a few weeks ago. They both hiss even in low gain. It's also too powerful for them since I can't go past 9:30 ish on low gain. Then again, my IEM is at 12.8 ohm with 112.8 dB SPL /mW sensitivity

Top Bottom