• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Freya S Preamplifier Review 2

mete

Exactly. An attenuator is configured as a voltage divider (I'm excluding special cases like L-pads which are pretty much loudspeaker-only), with the source impedance being at a maximum at 50% (-6dB). The two halves in parallel make a source resistance of 1/4 the potentiometer value.

OK I understand, I thought it might change depending on the implementation but the implementations are not that different then. I am using only balanced inputs and outputs. The spec has only one value for input impedance, and since it is passive, I guess there are four channels of attenuation (L+-, R+-). For the output impedance, the values for active gain are 75R for SE and 600R for balanced, how is the balanced output impedance defined ? is it the output impedance of each of L+, L-, R+, R- ?

Edit: Just wondered what these parallel R1//R2 values (R1+R2=10K) would be for dB attenuations, attached table if not mistaken.

Attachments

• p.png
    p.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
New Kara preamp.

"...replacement for the Schiit Audio solid state preamp originally dubbed The Freya S. The shiny new thing is now called the Kara and sports “discrete differential solid state preamp–now channeling the high voltage rails (64V!) of the best preamps of the golden age of solid state, separate single-ended stages, near state-of-the-art performance from its Nexus discrete, differential current feedback stage, and…a headphone jack. And not just a headphone jack, but one that’s connected to an excellent discrete headphone amp. Like all of our preamps, it uses a 128-step relay attenuator and comes with remote control standard. Kara is $699, and it’s a regular production product, none of this limited run silliness.”"

Kara page

Story

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
New Kara preamp.

"...replacement for the Schiit Audio solid state preamp originally dubbed The Freya S.
Sadly they seem to have run out of inventive humorous names for their
products like Freya S. :( LOL

gareth_c

Hi all,

I've been following the site with interest for a few years but haven't posted. I have a Freya S which I purchased new at the end of last year here in the UK.
I've noticed that there is a slight channel imbalance when the Freya is in the gain 1 position, which I believe is the passive 0db stage of amplification? The balance is central on the two active stages. I have active speakers and can centre the balance by lowering the left speaker to -6db, although I can't say for sure this is exactly centred or exactly -6db, as I'm just going off the markings on the speaker, but it's sounds about right.
Is this something I should pass back to Schiit, or is it within tolerance to have a slight imbalance?

Many thanks
Gareth

AaronJ

Hi all,

I've been following the site with interest for a few years but haven't posted. I have a Freya S which I purchased new at the end of last year here in the UK.
I've noticed that there is a slight channel imbalance when the Freya is in the gain 1 position, which I believe is the passive 0db stage of amplification? The balance is central on the two active stages. I have active speakers and can centre the balance by lowering the left speaker to -6db, although I can't say for sure this is exactly centred or exactly -6db, as I'm just going off the markings on the speaker, but it's sounds about right.
Is this something I should pass back to Schiit, or is it within tolerance to have a slight imbalance?

Many thanks
Gareth
Resistor ladder should have no channel imbalance. It's arguably the Freya S's most important selling point. Send it back to Schiit to fix it.

gareth_c

Resistor ladder should have no channel imbalance. It's arguably the Freya S's most important selling point. Send it back to Schiit to fix it.
Thanks. I've emailed them. Although, now I've read about the Kara above, I wonder if I can part-ex it for one of those? :)

AaronJ

Thanks. I've emailed them. Although, now I've read about the Kara above, I wonder if I can part-ex it for one of those? :)
The only difference between the Freya and Kara is the headphone amp. As a preamp they’ll perform the same regardless of all the gobbledygook.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

gareth_c

Well I did a bit more investigating before returning the Freya. I have another set of active speakers so tried them in place of my usual speakers. The imbalance wasn't apparent. I then put the original speakers back but swapped them round and the imbalance was now on the opposite side. So it appears to be a slight volume difference between the speakers. I've adjusted the higher speaker down a few decibels.
One other thing I have noticed about the Freya is that I have to crank the volume up to the 2 or 3 o'clock position to get a decent volume. I'm feeding it with an RME DAC and a Tag McLaren phono amp, both of which I believe put out 2V. I have to use the active stages of the Freya with the phono amplifier otherwise it's really not loud enough. Maybe it's again related to the active speakers, which are fed directly by the Freya?

Pillars

The only difference between the Freya and Kara is the headphone amp. As a preamp they’ll perform the same regardless of all the gobbledygook.

There is a whole lot of more differences than just this. It has a whole dedicated SE gain stage now.

Turcoda

I was new to these types of step knobs and was shocked when i first heard the Freya S.I wasn't sure if there was anything wrong with my unit, but sound cut off for a fraction of a secon while turning the knob. I thought it was abnormal, but it probably isn't. The Freya turned out to be a great preamp. I sold it, as I had no use for it anymore, but I had regrets. Schiit makes great products and i stand by them. I noticed no imbalance and no hiss from my unit. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend. I'm going to buy their new Mjolnir 3 soon.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I just picked one up to give a try. Dead silent on passive, as it should be. Slight hiss with gain enabled.

Time will tell how I find the noise of the volume control. I prefer it in passive mode with my NAD c298.

I've had the Freya S since it came out, and I kinda like the crackly relay noise to be honest. I don't find it intrusive.

It's a very clean box.

Top Bottom