• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Freya S Preamplifier Review 2

idiomatically

Here's one for the think tank, I have had a Freya+ for about 18 months in that time it has had its power supply fail 3 times the last being Christmas morning much to my wife great upset.

Now every time I have to send it back to Schiit for repairs from Australia it costs me a couple of hundred in freight. Is it unreasonable to expect Schiit just to replace the unit, as this one is clearly a lemon and whatever they are doing to repair it just doesn't last? I have even had a sparky come and double-check all the power supply that feeds my entertainment area but out of some 14 electrical devices in this cabinet, only the Freya+ ever has a problem.

The Schiit modius, for example doesn't miss a beat.

Last edited:

Scot_Douglas

I don't think it is unreasonable at all. I would ask for a replacement, especially since you had your supply power checked out.

Labjr

Major Contributor
I worked for Digital Equipment Corp during the 80's. When a PC board came in from field service it was marked. After three marks it went in the trash.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I worked for Digital Equipment Corp during the 80's. When a PC board came in from field service it was marked. After three marks it went in the trash.
What did it do in between?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Use your imagination.
This is really embarrassing... I misread your previous post initially. I thought it said "after three weeks it went in the trash", so I pictured a warehouse full of DEC boards being carefully monitored for signs of regeneration. :facepalm:

As a not-entirely unrelated aside: I lived and worked in DEC country (i.e., none too far from Maynard, MA) for a long time -- and with a lot of DEC hardware, and erstwhile DEC employees, over the years. It was an interesting company. :)

idiomatically

You know I am starting to wonder if it just can't handle the heat of Queensland in Australia. When it came back the last time I put socket savers in it to raise the tubes up out of the case to try and dissipate more of the heat out of the unit. I have seen a few people now take issue with how hot these things get, and people adding fans and external heat sinks to them but man that kills the aesthetics.

Seems like the unit needs an external power supply in the design.

Zackthedog

I'm a long-time tube guy--DIY Williamson tube amps, Aikido preamp, even a DAC with all-tube output stage--but I bought a Freya S on a lark, and because I've always been curious about Schiit equipment. I have to say that I'm impressed. For $600 (or $500 for B-stock, which I bought) I can't imagine doing better for the money. The measurements speak for themselves, but subjectively speaking, if I may be so bold, this is a very musical little preamp. There's no sense of fatigue or brightness or anything like that, no veiling or glare or hash--it's clean and honest and plays music for days. Jazz, pop, classical, doesn't matter--I just want to keep listening. My Aikido throws a bigger sound stage and probably offers more coloration, which I don't object to. But I could happily live with this. Remote control, three modes of operation, balanced in-outs. Quite a bargain, IMO. I will say that I ran it in for four days, non-stop. Out of the box it was a little coarse, but that went away soon enough. I would like to try more Schiit equipment, if this is a fair representation of what they're producing these days.

Zackthedog

You know I am starting to wonder if it just can't handle the heat of Queensland in Australia. When it came back the last time I put socket savers in it to raise the tubes up out of the case to try and dissipate more of the heat out of the unit. I have seen a few people now take issue with how hot these things get, and people adding fans and external heat sinks to them but man that kills the aesthetics.

Seems like the unit needs an external power supply in the design.

A friend of mine, a very sensible audiophile, liked the Freya+ but sent his back for this very reason.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A friend of mine, a very sensible audiophile, liked the Freya+ but sent his back for this very reason.
For what reason? Did it cook itself? Or was he worried it might cook itself? Mine has been working flawlessly since I bought it last year. No fans but rarely use the tube buffer.

Zackthedog

For what reason? Did it cook itself? Or was he worried it might cook itself? Mine has been working flawlessly since I bought it last year. No fans but rarely use the tube buffer.
He felt it got unreasonably hot with the tube stage employed, and was concerned about the longevity of the internal components. He's comfortable with tube equipment but this made him uncomfortable.

Bobo77

I love my Freya+…working just fine for over a year!…I am a tube-stage only guy….but I get itchy ….so I did some research…I am pretty handy…I switched out the $10 WIMA caps in the tube stage circuits (little red buildings) for $90 V-2 ODAM Caps…and found some really cool vents online for the top-plate to cool that sucker down by getting some convection going!
Since it went so well…I just ordered 8 Audio Note Tantalum Film Resistors to replace the inexpensive ones in the Tub-Stage path, as well. Considering I know my way around the unit, now…that should be a cake swap-out! Fun stuff! People on the web are doing really cool things and many are super helpful!

Attachments

• 34B8BC1E-B7A2-436D-B720-E76F32685DB6.jpeg
    34B8BC1E-B7A2-436D-B720-E76F32685DB6.jpeg
    383.9 KB · Views: 222
  • D53F8FDF-9656-48C4-B7F2-22BC64ED7B65.jpeg
    D53F8FDF-9656-48C4-B7F2-22BC64ED7B65.jpeg
    430.5 KB · Views: 230
  • 581622A6-976C-49B7-8CFE-ED598941A517.jpeg
    581622A6-976C-49B7-8CFE-ED598941A517.jpeg
    308.6 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:

Shanman

Forum Donor
The vents especially are so great, how did you cut the enclosure for them without warping?

Bobo77

The vents especially are so great, how did you cut the enclosure for them without warping?
The metal of the casing is actually quite thick...So...no worries about it warping. I am guessing it is a little over 1/8" thick.... I used hand tools...That part was totally in my wheelhouse, so I took my time and all went well....I solder...but not circuit boards...that is where I had to ask and learn.... If anyone is "serious" about doing this to their Freya and think that they have the right skill set & tools, I would be more than glad to share my email....and talk on the phone....it is kind of too much to type.... One of the most tedious things for me was to get the unit apart without damaging it...there are some tricks involved. I am looking forward to replacing the resistors!!! :)

Last edited:

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I love my Freya+…working just fine for over a year!…I am a tube-stage only guy….but I get itchy ….so I did some research…I am pretty handy…I switched out the $2 WIMA caps in the tube stage circuits (little red buildings) for $80 V-2 ODAMS…and found some really cool vents online for the top-plate to cool that sucker down by getting some convection going!
Since it went so well…I just ordered 8 Audio Note resistors to replace the inexpensive ones in the Tub-Stage path, as well. Since I know my way around the unit now…that should be a cake swap-out! Fun stuff! People on the web are doing really cool things and many are super helpful!
Like the volume indicator.

Top Bottom