• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Freya S Preamplifier Review 2

AaronJ

How important is the Yggdrasil to you? I think a MiniDSP Flex would give you everything you need to do this integration if you are ok using the Flex’s DAC. If you want to keep the Yggdrasil maybe the MiniDSP SHD with its suite of inputs. It’s a little more expensive than the solution you’re asking about but will give you all the subwoofer integration you’re looking for. It can set input and output levels to bypass the volume control allowing you to use the AVR’s volume control when you want it.

franknorris12

How important is the Yggdrasil to you? I think a MiniDSP Flex would give you everything you need to do this integration if you are ok using the Flex’s DAC. If you want to keep the Yggdrasil maybe the MiniDSP SHD with its suite of inputs. It’s a little more expensive than the solution you’re asking about but will give you all the subwoofer integration you’re looking for. It can set input and output levels to bypass the volume control allowing you to use the AVR’s volume control when you want it.

The Yggy is a key part of the system and can't/won't do without it. Let me have a look at the SHD.

franknorris12

On the Freya S I can hear noticeable hiss from the listening position with both 1x and 4x gain settings. My speakers aren't the most sensitive either at 87db and 4 Ohm. Using an Emotiva XPA Gen3 Power amp and never had hiss before. I know hiss is mentioned in the manual.

Thinking to just run it passively or maybe Freya S isn't right for this system... Is there any way to get rid of the hiss? Does length of cable affect hiss?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On the Freya S I can hear noticeable hiss from the listening position with both 1x and 4x gain settings. My speakers aren't the most sensitive either at 87db and 4 Ohm. Using an Emotiva XPA Gen3 Power amp and never had hiss before. I know hiss is mentioned in the manual.

Thinking to just run it passively or maybe Freya S isn't right for this system... Is there any way to get rid of the hiss? Does length of cable affect hiss?
Is it possible the hiss isn't coming from the preamp but from the Emo amp?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, the Emotiva is dead quiet with my Denon and also when used in passive mode with the Freya. The hiss is from the Freya
Gotcha. I have the Freya+ and don't notice any hiss on any of the modes. Perhaps you have a defective unit?

franknorris12

Gotcha. I have the Freya+ and don't notice any hiss on any of the modes. Perhaps you have a defective unit?

I don't think so - the manual states hiss can be present in either of the gain modes and reading around it is quite common even with non-sensitive speakers. I'll look into the Saga as well.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think so - the manual states hiss can be present in either of the gain modes and reading around it is quite common even with non-sensitive speakers. I'll look into the Saga as well.
hmmm. guess I got lucky w/ the Freya+. I'm surprised a manual would admit their preamp elicits hissing in speakers. Bizarre.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do u mean this section?

I hear hum, what do I do?
A small amount of hum when using the differential tube output
stage may occur with some tubes. Try other tubes. The noise should
not be audible from the listening position in most typical systems.
No, I mean, I have a LOT of hum!
You may have a ground loop. Try a ground loop isolator or a device
like the EbTech HumX to eliminate the ground loop.
I hear hiss in tube gain output mode, why?
A small amount of hiss when using the differential tube gain stage
may occur with some tubes, especially with high gain power ampli-
fiers and high sensitivity speakers. Try different tubes. The noise
should not be audible from the listening position in most typical
systems.

franknorris12

Do u mean this section?

I hear hum, what do I do?
A small amount of hum when using the differential tube output
stage may occur with some tubes. Try other tubes. The noise should
not be audible from the listening position in most typical systems.
No, I mean, I have a LOT of hum!
You may have a ground loop. Try a ground loop isolator or a device
like the EbTech HumX to eliminate the ground loop.
I hear hiss in tube gain output mode, why?
A small amount of hiss when using the differential tube gain stage
may occur with some tubes, especially with high gain power ampli-
fiers and high sensitivity speakers. Try different tubes. The noise
should not be audible from the listening position in most typical
systems.

That's from the Freya + manual, the Freya S manual has the below (I don't have hum issues so not including it:

I hear hiss in 4X gain mode, why?
A small amount of hiss may be audible when using the higher gain
mode, especially with high gain power amplifiers and high sensitiv-
ity speakers. Use 1X gain for a lower noise floor if necessary. The
noise should not be audible from the listening position.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's from the Freya + manual, the Freya S manual has the below (I don't have hum issues so not including it:

I hear hiss in 4X gain mode, why?
A small amount of hiss may be audible when using the higher gain
mode, especially with high gain power amplifiers and high sensitiv-
ity speakers. Use 1X gain for a lower noise floor if necessary. The
noise should not be audible from the listening position.
Well I suppose that is to be expected when one is amplifying the source 4x? Otherwise I should think it should be dead quiet but YMMV. Why would one want to use the 4x buffer? That's introducing a lot of noise into the signal which will be amplified by the outboard amp and sent to your speakers.

I bought the Freya+ to use the passive buffer, as I required the cleanest signal for my chain. I have tried the tube buffer and the differential buffer but prefer the passive and let Dirac Live on the AVR boost and cut levels.

franknorris12

I think the SYS would actually be better for your set-up if you're after the cleanest passive signal (unless your set up is balanced in which case, you'd probably be better off with Freya S in passive).

The gain stages have some benefit to the actual listening experience (i.e. more heft, deeper stage etc) but at the cost of hiss. Ymmv etc

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the SYS would actually be better for your set-up if you're after the cleanest passive signal (unless your set up is balanced in which case, you'd probably be better off with Freya S in passive).

The gain stages have some benefit to the actual listening experience (i.e. more heft, deeper stage etc) but at the cost of hiss. Ymmv etc
I'm happy w/ my set up-I was replying to your assertion hiss was inherent in the Freya products. I do run both XLR and RCA inputs and outputs are XLR>Purifi>RZ50>F208's or Freya+>D90 SE>Purifi>F208's and no hiss even using the tube buffer. I have turned the volume up full w/o signal and could not hear any hiss at the tweeter, even from a couple inches away. One of the benefits of XLR perhaps.

Labjr

Major Contributor
I don't think you can expect tube equipment to be dead silent.

franknorris12

I'm happy w/ my set up-I was replying to your assertion hiss was inherent in the Freya products. I do run both XLR and RCA inputs and outputs are XLR>Purifi>RZ50>F208's or Freya+>D90 SE>Purifi>F208's and no hiss even using the tube buffer. I have turned the volume up full w/o signal and could not hear any hiss at the tweeter, even from a couple inches away. One of the benefits of XLR perhaps.

XLR had more hiss than SE on the Freya S - perhaps the units fluctuate, but there's definitely some consistency online that the S version has hiss in the gain modes (obviously most in 4x).

Happy that your Freya + has no audible hiss at the listening position!

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It has no hiss 1 inch from the tweeter with the Freya+ volume maxed.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think you can expect tube equipment to be dead silent.
Tube preamps are a bit different than tube power amps. It's quite quiet to my ears.

Top Bottom