• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Salesman Talk

Bridges

What is your response when a salesman or manufacturer tells you that his speakers are so great, natural and highly resolving, that if you play a bad recording (ie. not a selected demonstration record of his choice) it will sound worse than on speakers of another brand?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't argue. Wrestling a pig in poop, and all that. I have better ways to frustrate myself.

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
“They sound too bright.”

“This brand gas a sterling reputation for revealing…”

“But they sound too bright? Do you hear that? They don’t sound right to me.”

Reactions: MAB

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Having given "feedback" when driving new cars for sale, I now know that salesmen don't care at all. They sell what they have. If you won't shell out, you're simply ignored.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is your response when a salesman or manufacturer tells you that his speakers are so great, natural and highly resolving, that if you play a bad recording (ie. not a selected demonstration record of his choice) it will sound worse than on speakers of another brand?
I would just respond that, if the guy doesn't allow me to play whatever the heck I want, it's alright... But I will simply look elsewhere.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
He/She is pushing you away from playing any type of music that will highlight the speaker’s shortcomings. Walk away and scratch that particular dealer/manufacturer from your list. If a speaker does not sound good when playing music that suits my preferences, then that speaker is not for me/you.

A well designed speaker should sound good with any content. ;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If the recording is rubbish then I would say so but if it is decent then let the customer have his/her way with the product and switchbox and have fun selecting speakers.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sound quality is the least important part of a recording if you love music. Not everyone loves music, of course, some people just like marveling at sound.

My favorite reggae recordings sound like they were done on cassette tapes with the levels too high. My favorite classical piano recordings sound like they were made 100 feet from the performer. My favorite rock recordings are from BBC radio soundboards in the 70s. My favorite guitar music recordings have huge amounts of noise.

MAB

Major Contributor
Just imagine the salesperson knows this is untrue, and is fully aware that they are using a mentalist trick.

If I'm at a carnival, I imagine the opposite, because I am committed to giving the performer a dollar to have my fortune read for my and the audience's entertainment. But you are shopping for speakers.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I found over the decades that a decent playback system brings out *something good* in even the shitiest of recordings/productions. The best recordings can then blow you away!

Not quite what the OP wants here, but I'd beware however, of systems that make everything sound much the same, both nice and nasty, as they're getting in the way. I used an amp system not long ago which did this and I felt it lulled me into a false sense of security ;)

Top Bottom