• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

S.M.S.L. SD-9 Set-Up and Basic Review

kopczas

Jf mx pro..
I think that in this scenario it would be much more effective (and cheaper) to get simplest miniitx motherboard, nice enclosure, install Daphile, and run everything from your smartphone or PC. If you need screen, you can get any decent tablet with Android, set screen to always on. Run your Daphile with Squeezer from tablet.

lowrideris

I think that in this scenario it would be much more effective (and cheaper) to get simplest miniitx motherboard, nice enclosure, install Daphile, and run everything from your smartphone or PC. If you need screen, you can get any decent tablet with Android, set screen to always on. Run your Daphile with Squeezer from tablet.
i tryied mac mini, not good, neutral ,dry sounding. windows laptop with foobar way way better. but smsl was a little better. sadly it has such bug. my friend also has SD-9, he said he also noticed the same sound clipping/distortion . sadly smsl support do nothing about it.
this week listend at home ifi zen stream, very clean sounding but very anoying , and i feel tired after 3 songs.. still looking for decent streamer for less than 1000 eur. :(

jemmanuelle

After installing mconnect, I was unable to see the tracks on the micro SD card that is in the SD-9 . Does it have that capability?

lowrideris

smsl sd-9 i know how to fix sound clipping :) anyone needs that info PM me;) as always, it was chinese cheating :) they use Cross Feed audio enchencer, like chord dacs Cross Feed ,that couses this audio defect in this streamer :)

deano454

i tryied mac mini, not good, neutral ,dry sounding. windows laptop with foobar way way better. but smsl was a little better. sadly it has such bug. my friend also has SD-9, he said he also noticed the same sound clipping/distortion . sadly smsl support do nothing about it.
this week listend at home ifi zen stream, very clean sounding but very anoying , and i feel tired after 3 songs.. still looking for decent streamer for less than 1000 eur. :(
You don't like the ifi Zen Stream ? In what way is it annoying ? Was about to pull the trigger on one . I listen to Tidal was hoping for buy , install grin happily and forget . I thought under 1 grand the Zen was it .

lowrideris

You don't like the ifi Zen Stream ? In what way is it annoying ? Was about to pull the trigger on one . I listen to Tidal was hoping for buy , install grin happily and forget . I thought under 1 grand the Zen was it .
Tried ifi zen.didnt liked sound. Smsl sd9 much nicer sounding.

linuxfan

After installing mconnect, I was unable to see the tracks on the micro SD card that is in the SD-9 . Does it have that capability?
No, I think the SD-9 is a DLNA endpoint/renderer only, not a DLNA server. If you want to use mconnect as a DLNA controller, you first need to set up a separate DLNA server somewhere on your local network - possibilities are a Windows or Mac computer, or a DLNA-compatible NAS - then mconnect will see this DLNA server, and allow you to stream from it to the SD-9 as an endpoint ...
... but it sounds like you are happy (or prefer) to have your music library stored on the SD-9, and control it from a smartphone - in that case all you need is a remote control application. I think HiBy Link is your answer.
To set up HiBy Link see page 57 of the SD-9 manual.

Last edited:

maruko

smsl sd-9 i know how to fix sound clipping :) anyone needs that info PM me;) as always, it was chinese cheating :) they use Cross Feed audio enchencer, like chord dacs Cross Feed ,that couses this audio defect in this streamer :)
@amirm

Is it possible that the Topping M50 also had this “Crossfeed Enhancer” active by default and this was the one causing its Crosstalk problems?

These Chinese digital players need to be measured, in my opinion

raif71

Major Contributor
I just bought this yesterday, used. Previously I used the Topping M50. The IIS output I connected to Gustard X16 and USB otg to Bifrost 2. The M50 otg usb was quite finicky in that sometimes the connection works, sometimes not. Happy to say that with SD-9, so far no problems connecting usb to bifrost 2. The connection for both iis and usb has been ok so far and I play via SDcard. The other otg with external thumbdrive does not seem to mount. The size of SD-9 is better aesthetically as a stack above the Gustard X16 when compared with the M50 which is sized like the d50/a50 dac and amp respectively. Though I still enjoy the M50 buttons with the up/down and previous/next but the USB and aesthetic looks matter most.

MikeO

Forum Donor
The audio "skips" on my unit when just using Bluetooth from my phone or laptop. I didn't install any other app on my phone. I can tell there's a beat that's skipped now and then. Thoughts?

Top Bottom