• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70: Can't Get Into Set-Up Menu

ChrisL

Hooked up CD player to my Topping E70 then to my amp no problem. Manual says to turn off unit,
then press volume knob while turning DAC back on to enter set-up menu. Problem is nothing happens. Same thing with remote. No way to enter set up menu
and choose and save settings. Are they saying to turn on power switch in back while pressing in volume knob? Any way to enter set up with remote? I can get
CD's to play after fiddling around for awhile, but can't save setting and have to start from scratch every time I turn it on. Manual is basically worthless, and just
about ready to send unit back to Apos. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

scruffy1

what? there's a set up menu?

i just plugged it in and away it went

am i missing anything if it "just works out of the box" ?

staticV3

Master Contributor
what? there's a set up menu?

i just plugged it in and away it went

am i missing anything if it "just works out of the box" ?
Here's everything that you can change in the setup menu:
Screenshot_20230510-114306_Drive.png

It's your call if there's anything in there that's useful to your.

Last edited:

scruffy1

ooh, i must have played with that and then forgot (curse my deficient and deteriorating memory), because the autodimming is on for the screen

thanks for the reminders though

OP
C

ChrisL

I figured out if you use the remote control, you can select "auto start," if it is in standby mode, the DAC will stay in the settings that were last being used when the power went back to standby mode (off). As long as you have the right input selected (coax, in my case) the CD's play fine, and when you turn off the CD player, the DAC will go from on to standby mode automatically. Sounds really good, much better than the CD player's internal dac.

NemesisBaud

Hooked up CD player to my Topping E70 then to my amp no problem. Manual says to turn off unit,
then press volume knob while turning DAC back on to enter set-up menu. Problem is nothing happens. Same thing with remote. No way to enter set up menu
and choose and save settings. Are they saying to turn on power switch in back while pressing in volume knob? Any way to enter set up with remote? I can get
CD's to play after fiddling around for awhile, but can't save setting and have to start from scratch every time I turn it on. Manual is basically worthless, and just
about ready to send unit back to Apos. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
I don’t know if anyone else ran into this issue, but for me, I forgot that there was a power switch on the back of the E70. So, when the instructions said “press and hold the volume knob in while flipping on the power switch” I thought they meant the power button on the front on the unit. Took me few failed attempts to access the menu before I realized my mistake.

On a side note, the interface and menu on the topping e70 is terrible. I’m not sure if all topping products work the same way, but the menu and interface on my SMSL SU-8s is far superior IMO. For example, on the SU-8s I can switch instantly between filters with the remote and A/B compare them to find which I like best. But I can’t do that on the topping. I think we should talk about these features more. Now that there are so many DACs that are SOTA, these “user experience” differences really start to matter (at least to me).

Top Bottom