• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roon PEQ settings

Riiser

Hi Amir,
As a new member to the ASR, although I have been a lurker for sometime, I would just like to say what an excellent site for all things Audio.

I know you are most likely swamped with all sorts of work, but I thought I would ask anyway.

I currently have a set of B&W CDM1 SE which are excellent although I was thinking would it be possible to tweak/enhance them using PEQ in Roon based on John Atkinsons measurements? If so could you please point me, to what if anything needs to be tweaked.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/bw-compact-domestic-monitor-1-loudspeaker-measurements.

I am however waiting on a new pair of Revel M105's to arrive, which I was happy to find you had reviewed since I was having some doubts if I should have gone for the M106's, but you allayed those doubts in your review, so thank you for that.

Kind Regards

Riiser

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They don't look like they need any real improvement, other than below the transition frequency in your room, which you will have to measure.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
If we talk above 500hz i see no bigger problem.

And below depends on your room. And that you have to measure.

At least i cant see what to eq from the measurements. They look great. Sure your personall preference can differ, or you maybe have a very speacial room?

OP
R

Riiser

Thanks lads for replying.

The B&W's are fantastic sounding although the bass is just not quite there, but adding a B&W sub to the mix with the crossover set at abot 46 to 50 did the trick.
I just thought I'd ask if there was any other little tweaks based on JA measurements that I could eke out of them.

In fact Amir responded also and he made the point that it might be worth setting a High Pass at 5Khz with -2 or 3db, which I tried, it does work on some Tidal recordings but is not quite right on others. Work in progress.

Anyways my Revel M105's turned up today, but I think I will leave that little setting up job, until the weekend.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks lads for replying.

The B&W's are fantastic sounding although the bass is just not quite there, but adding a B&W sub to the mix with the crossover set at abot 46 to 50 did the trick.
I just thought I'd ask if there was any other little tweaks based on JA measurements that I could eke out of them.

In fact Amir responded also and he made the point that it might be worth setting a High Pass at 5Khz with -2 or 3db, which I tried, it does work on some Tidal recordings but is not quite right on others. Work in progress.

Anyways my Revel M105's turned up today, but I think I will leave that little setting up job, until the weekend.
That crossover seems awful low IMO. An octave above the F3 is a good starting point, going lower is ok but not more then an half an octave.

OP
R

Riiser

That crossover seems awful low IMO. An octave above the F3 is a good starting point, going lower is ok but not more then an half an octave.
Hi Everett,
The recommendation I believed, was to take your speakers lowest frequency range and add 10 Hz. In my case the B&W's lowest freq range is 46Hz, so i have played with the range on the PV1 until the bass transition sounded seamless.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Everett,
The recommendation I believed, was to take your speakers lowest frequency range and add 10 Hz. In my case the B&W's lowest freq range is 46Hz, so i have played with the range on the PV1 until the bass transition sounded seamless.
Are you rolling of your mains when you use the sub, or just adding the sub to them?

OP
R

Riiser

Hi Soniclife,

Im in the camp of dont mess with the design of the speaker, however the reason for the sub introduction was to gain the full range of the low end, which the B&W's were missing so in answer im not trying to roll off the mains.

sfdoddsy

If you can measure properly, you could do room EQ below 200Hz or so, but if you can't I also wouldn't do anything other than maybe experiment with a shallow high shelf filter (5-7000k, -3dbish, .5Q).

Plus they need subs below 100Hz.

It's interesting that the CDM1s from 1998 measure vastly better than B&W's newer speakers.

Otherwise I'd just wait for the M106. Although based on those measurements they may not be vastly better.

:)

Top Bottom