• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M105 vs. M106.

RB Dennis 57

I currently own a pair of the M105's. I noticed the M106's are on "sale" for $770 each. Both have high reviews and recommendations. Would the M106's scratch what slight "itch" I may have with the M105? Perhaps its the larger Lower frequency driver.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Here are the relevant graphs from Amir's reviews:
M105.png M106.png
(I've edited the M105 one slightly to match the M106's y-axis scale)

Feel free to flip between them with your arrow keys.

Unsurprisingly, the 106 plays ever so slightly deeper and with ever so slightly lower THD.
You'd have to have a very specific itch to be scratched by that difference. ;)

OP
R

RB Dennis 57

Here are the relevant graphs from Amir's reviews:
View attachment 327791 View attachment 327792
(I've edited the M105 one slightly to match the M106's y-axis scale)

Feel free to flip between them with your arrow keys.

Unsurprisingly, the 106 plays ever so slightly deeper and with ever so slightly lower THD.
You'd have to have a very specific itch to be scratched by that difference. ;)
More like the itch in the pocketbook. Perhaps more dimes for not much more sugar. You brutal honesty is duly noted.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I currently own a pair of the M105's. I noticed the M106's are on "sale" for $770 each. Both have high reviews and recommendations. Would the M106's scratch what slight "itch" I may have with the M105? Perhaps its the larger Lower frequency driver.
do you have a sub in play? if so this "upgrade" would probably be a letdown... even if not it's going to be marginal , i'd try a different sound (maybe wider dispersion , like philharmonic audio or ascend)

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
If your going to upgrade, then upgrade. There's not enough difference between the 2 to bother -> both are 2-way standmounts. Take advantage of the Revel sale and get some F208s/F206s. Then, you will notice, and measure if you desire, a difference. :cool:

OP
R

RB Dennis 57

do you have a sub in play? if so this "upgrade" would probably be a letdown... even if not it's going to be marginal , i'd try a different sound (maybe wider dispersion , like philharmonic audio or ascend)
My son is suggesting I get one. Personally, I'm not the hard rocking Bass kinda person I may have been in my youth.. But no matter the Medium, not all sources are produced the same. Kinda like Grits. Some sources need extra Butter.

OP
R

RB Dennis 57

If your going to upgrade, then upgrade. There's not enough difference between the 2 to bother -> both are 2-way standmounts. Take advantage of the Revel sale and get some F208s/F206s. Then, you will notice, and measure if you desire, a difference. :cool:

OP
R

RB Dennis 57

You actually was reading my mind. I took a glance at the F206. It's not like I have a shortage of power to drive them. In fact, the PS Audio M700 monoblocks is overkill for the M105.
preamp.jpg

tw 2022

My son is suggesting I get one. Personally, I'm not the hard rocking Bass kinda person I may have been in my youth.. But no matter the Medium, not all sources are produced the same. Kinda like Grits. Some sources need extra Butter.
i would think a sub will be the biggest upgrade you can do with what you have right now, get a *good* entry level rythmik or svs or hsu.. i'd get an svs sb2000 (non pro) while the svs sale is going on , free returns and outstanding customer service.. if it isn't the upgrade you want , send it back and reload on a revel upgrade... best of luck , i'll be following your progress

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
i would think a sub will be the biggest upgrade you can do with what you have right now, get a *good* entry level rythmik or svs or hsu.. i'd get an svs sb2000 (non pro) while the svs sale is going on , free returns and outstanding customer service.. if it isn't the upgrade you want , send it back and reload on a revel upgrade... best of luck , i'll be following your progress
Adding a sub is not so easy. I would recommend the OP get a pair of F206's if he wants more bass and dynamic range. Otherwise he should stand pat. Of course there's all kinds of alternatives like some of the active speakers from JBL and Neumann which get mentioned here regularly.

OP
R

RB Dennis 57

Adding a sub is not so easy. I would recommend the OP get a pair of F206's if he wants more bass and dynamic range. Otherwise he should stand pat. Of course there's all kinds of alternatives like some of the active speakers from JBL and Neumann which get mentioned here regularly.
<<Standing PAT, enjoying a Sunday Morning Jazz Brunch

tw 2022

True, it isn't always the best scenario... Just saying a $700 sub is going to do pretty much the same thing as a $2500 pair of speakers, if integrated....:)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
True, it isn't always the best scenario... Just saying a $700 sub is going to do pretty much the same thing as a $2500 pair of speakers, if integrated....:)
The "if integrated" is the hard part. To do it right one has to roll off and delay the mains. These functions don't come with the sub so one will need a MiniDSP (the cheap and dirty way) or a 4 channel DAC and software to do the job, the fancy way.

caioferrari

Doesn’t worth the difference.
If you really want a upgrade, buy a tower or a sub (better than a tower IMHO)

tw 2022

The "if integrated" is the hard part. To do it right one has to roll off and delay the mains. These functions don't come with the sub so one will need a MiniDSP (the cheap and dirty way) or a 4 channel DAC and software to do the job, the fancy way.
it isn't *that* hard, but i'll admit it's easier with an avr and / or dsp....it's still cheaper to buy an avr and a sub vs revel towers in that series... i'm not pickin' a fight here , but i figure the op ought to hear both sides, and i know and admit your point is valid...

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
it isn't *that* hard, but i'll admit it's easier with an avr and / or dsp....it's still cheaper to buy an avr and a sub vs revel towers in that series... i'm not pickin' a fight here , but i figure the op ought to hear both sides, and i know and admit your point is valid...
A MiniDSP 2sx4HD is pretty cheap, especially if one already has an amplifier, does what an AVR does for Subs and is in roughly the same SINAD category. The hard part is most people don't realize they need an AVR or MiniDSP. I have LS50's, 2 Rythmik subs and a MiniDSP 2x4. The SQ is stunning, but it took me a few years to get it right. Most of that time was spent learning what to do.

AVKS

Perhaps something like the Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX would scratch the itch at a lower price. Klippel-optimized neutral response and great dispersion, and -3 DB at 43 Hz and -6 at 36 Hz. Reviews thus far are very positive.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps something like the Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX would scratch the itch at a lower price. Klippel-optimized neutral response and great dispersion, and -3 DB at 43 Hz and -6 at 36 Hz. Reviews thus far are very positive.
Links to the reviews?

AVKS

Links to the reviews?
As one example:

Klippel outputs are all available on the product page of Ascend's site if one is so inclined.

tw 2022

honestly that lx is a better speaker *IF* the op wants wider dispersion...

Top Bottom