• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roon on MacBook Air M1 + streaming questions

Snoopy

Major Contributor
So I try to keep it short.

Currently I'm using a Cambridge CXN V2 with the Streammagic app in my living room. (Qobuz+ usb stick).

We needed a new Laptop anyway.

Would I be able to run Roon on the MacBook , add a bunch of CDs into the roon library and access Qobuz while using a iPad air 3 or my android phone as a remote control?

I would like to use Amirs EQ settings. Can I stream Qobuz while using the equilizer to my CXN V2?

And I would like to get a Matrix Mini i 3 for my bedroom and use it with Roon and Qobuz.

Are there any problems to get hi-res and gapless playback from Roon ?

Basically does this all work wirelessly ? The streamers are all connected via Lan cable. But the MacBook would be wireless

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Since nobody responded, I don't mind if a mod deletes the whole thing.

If someone is looking for answers:

Roon works great with the CXN V2. Gapless playback, hi-res all no problem.

Using the EQ works fine as well.

My M1 MacBook Air shows me 30-84x when upscaling Songs to 32 bit 384khz.

Not sure yet about the matrix mini i3 but I guess it should be basically the same.

dBiz

I've moved from Windows to Mac, currently MacBook Pro M1. Not having fun with finding answers. It's a different world from the free players and free downloadable software in Windows for sure.

Now off to figure out where I want to spend my $ when it comes to a player, doesn't look like Apple Music, Spotify are cutting it. VLC works but the interface is bare bones to say the least.

Thank you for the information you provided.

OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I've moved from Windows to Mac, currently MacBook Pro M1. Not having fun with finding answers. It's a different world from the free players and free downloadable software in Windows for sure.

Now off to figure out where I want to spend my $ when it comes to a player, doesn't look like Apple Music, Spotify are cutting it. VLC works but the interface is bare bones to say the least.

Thank you for the information you provided.

Audirvana , Roon work with MacOS. Or you just use the Qobuz app.

Chromecast(not gapless 24 bit 96khz), airplay (16 bit 48khz gapless ) work wireless.
Or you connect your MacBook to a DAC.

I'm using the Cambridge streammagic app and I get 24 bit 192khz from Qobuz wirelessly and with gapless playback.

While Roon works great! It really isn't worth it for me yet .

dBiz

Windows was USB to DAC (Mytek Brooklyn DAC, acquired before an ASR education), so I'm still connecting via USB. I'm quickly realizing that a wireless setup would be the most convenient and of course that will require a new DAC.
I've noticed that the Roon, Audirvana, Tidal etc. seems like a sea of shifting sand with no clear one size fits all solution.

OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Windows was USB to DAC (Mytek Brooklyn DAC, acquired before an ASR education), so I'm still connecting via USB. I'm quickly realizing that a wireless setup would be the most convenient and of course that will require a new DAC.
I've noticed that the Roon, Audirvana, Tidal etc. seems like a sea of shifting sand with no clear one size fits all solution.

What you need is a streamer that supports Chromecast or AirPlay for example and you connect that to your DAC.

Argon Solo, bluesound node , raspberry pi would work too.

audirvana requires you to have a computer connected to the DAC. And you run a remote app on your phone/Tablet.

dBiz

OK, I'm getting it now. So what to do with the 200 Gig. FLAC files ripped from CD's? That requires a "server" of some sort on a network hard drive or from the MacBook/Computer/Tablet? Or just say forget the FLAC files and stream them :).
I"m old and still from that mindset that the music played is stored somewhere in a CD case or record sleeve. Was pretty easy with the windows machine to play the FLAC files without re-sampling to the DAC, I think that is where I'm getting hung up and just need to get over it and accept that it isn't going to happen on the MacBook. Appreciate all the info. and patience, to clarify what is probably well known to most in the Mac world.

OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor
OK, I'm getting it now. So what to do with the 200 Gig. FLAC files ripped from CD's? That requires a "server" of some sort on a network hard drive or from the MacBook/Computer/Tablet? Or just say forget the FLAC files and stream them :).
I"m old and still from that mindset that the music played is stored somewhere in a CD case or record sleeve. Was pretty easy with the windows machine to play the FLAC files without re-sampling to the DAC, I think that is where I'm getting hung up and just need to get over it and accept that it isn't going to happen on the MacBook. Appreciate all the info. and patience, to clarify what is probably well known to most in the Mac world.

I have flacs on my Cambridge cxn V2 , that I stream from the same app that supports qobuz, tidal etc.

Just put them on a usb stick or a NAS drive that the streamer has access too.

If you use audirvana or roon you can just stream these local files from your MacBook to a DAC.

dBiz

Perfect timing

OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Perfect timing

Yeah. But the bluesound node n130 would make more sense for you.

You already got a DAC. And the Matrix audio app is not that good. At least compared to the BlueOS.

Top Bottom