• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room Measurement Tutorial for Dummies Part 1

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Should I apply the EQ from speaker measurement first and do REW room measurement, EQ in the second step?
Or just ignore speaker measurements and go REW room measurement, EQ directly?
Just start the EQ process with the room - assuming you have already set the speakers in the optimal position - the REW room simulator could help with that. Then you do correction on the real-world in-room result. The speaker without the room is irrelevant.

oversky

Logically, you have to measure the irregularities first so you can correct them, right?

Just start the EQ process with the room - assuming you have already set the speakers in the optimal position - the REW room simulator could help with that. Then you do correction on the real-world in-room result. The speaker without the room is irrelevant.

I measured my room with an uncalibrated microphone that have came with my old walkman 20+ years ago.
Amirm's data should be more correct than my numbers for "small" ripples.
The current price of an UMIK-1 is almost double,
and about 2/3 of my JBL 104BT.
I would rather invest my money on my next speakers.

EiePnNO.png

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I measured my room with an uncalibrated microphone that have came with my old walkman 20+ years ago.
Amirm's data should be more correct than my numbers for "small" ripples.
The current price of an UMIK-1 is almost double,
and about 2/3 of my JBL 104BT.

EiePnNO.png
Get this one: https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1

You cannot use an uncalibrated or cellphone microphone for this purpose, it will just mess things up.

You’ll be amazed the improvement room correction can make for even inexpensive speakers. TBH it’s not optional. :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Your decision.
As a retired mechanic all I ever got using cheap wrenches was busted knuckles. :eek:

oversky

luft262

This is great! Finally a room correction tutorial from the master himself! I can't wait to do this with Amir's methodology!

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is great! Finally a room correction tutorial from the master himself! I can't wait to do this with Amir's methodology!
It isn't complete.....I believe there is only Part I & II

djigibao

This is also intresting:

lewdish

I'm curious in the future if we as a community can figure a way to start measuring mobile spatialization w things like Dirac Virtuo and "mobile Room Correction" to have a greater understanding of the research done in objective audio spatialization. There's gotta be factors out there that we can define in the DSP space and understanding their HRTF research better.

posvibes

I failed at the first hurdle, downloaded the program, there was no button for registration, but ticked the box for agreement to terms up came the first window and the "Measure" button is greyed out.

posvibes

I failed at the first hurdle, downloaded the program, there was no button for registration, but ticked the box for agreement to terms up came the first window and the "Measure" button is greyed out.
After much extended complicated Pfaffing I got the button operative, it was to do with the privacy settings of the microphone.

posvibes

OK I got a measurement by following exactly what Amir wrote and I am thrilled absolutely thrilled (which gives you an idea as to what I am doing on a Saturday night!), that aside I did it with the laptop on my lap in what I refer to as the "library" and it worked fine. Sometime ago I dropped my faithful computer and the speakers vibrate something awful where the casing is a little loose.

The REW version I downloaded today looks a little different, but with some close reading and scanning of the format I was still able to follow @amirm 's instructions.

Looking forward to reading Part 2.

And to boot I was able to make a donation to ASR, I finally made a concerted effort to follow through as earlier it was a little more difficult if I remember correctly.

Good on you Amir and much thanks. Thrilled Itellya, thrilled I am.

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Mal

I don't have a Windows or Mac laptop, and my desktop computer is a Chromebox without a microphone. Googe only support the chromebox for five years and my previous chromebox is sitting around redundant. I keep on thinking I might instal Linux on it, but need a good reason to suffer such pain. Has anyone got REW working under linux without any pain? I'm used to administer UNIX systems so the UNIX command line isn't pain for me, if things go smoothly. Just when things go wrong and I'm stumped for months... that's pain...

So if LINUX is a good idea, what about the microphone? The least painful solution (at first sight...) looks to be the miniDSP UMIK-1... but has anyone got it working with a LINUX version?

The other route, and probably least painful, would be to buy a Windows or Mac laptop, or other computer, with a microphone. Anyone have a good or bad time with either of these options? If you had a good time what specific computer did you use (that's still being sold on Amazon...)? What computer did amir use?

Also, if I'm going to buy another computer it would be great if it did other things well. Any thoughts on what might make the best general music server, as well as running REW without a hitch?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
REW will run painlessly on most Linux distro's, the latest Linux builds come with it's own Java built in, avoiding what use to be the main
problem some would face. I run it here on PCLinuxOS but if I'm going to do multich measurements I use my Windoz install. There's something not quite right there.
I don't know anything about installing in Chromebooks beyond the fact that it's possible.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
^^^
Also, if I'm going to buy another computer it would be great if it did other things well. Any thoughts on what might make the best general music server, as well as running REW without a hitch?

ArturoKiwi

I don't have a Windows or Mac laptop, and my desktop computer is a Chromebox without a microphone. Googe only support the chromebox for five years and my previous chromebox is sitting around redundant. I keep on thinking I might instal Linux on it, but need a good reason to suffer such pain. Has anyone got REW working under linux without any pain? I'm used to administer UNIX systems so the UNIX command line isn't pain for me, if things go smoothly. Just when things go wrong and I'm stumped for months... that's pain...

So if LINUX is a good idea, what about the microphone? The least painful solution (at first sight...) looks to be the miniDSP UMIK-1... but has anyone got it working with a LINUX version?

The other route, and probably least painful, would be to buy a Windows or Mac laptop, or other computer, with a microphone. Anyone have a good or bad time with either of these options? If you had a good time what specific computer did you use (that's still being sold on Amazon...)? What computer did amir use?

Is it possible to install VirtualBox on a chromebook? That will leave your OS intact

kiwifi

You might be able to install ChromeOS Flex onto the Chromebox to give it a new lease on life.

Top Bottom