• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room measured, how best to proceed with EQ?

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Edit to add, when doing a measurement this morning with the volume too hight the windows were rattling. Do I need more bass than this??

Let's break it down for you. Windows rattling is a function of (1) natural resonant frequency of your windows and (2) volume. I don't know what the natural resonance of your windows are, it may be possible that 20-40Hz may not rattle your windows, but rattle something else. As for volume, I don't know if you were playing it louder than you normally would, and it is possible your windows won't audibly rattle at a lower volume.

There are two solutions for rattling windows - either fix your windows, or fix your system. Window fixes can be as simple as jamming foam/rubber strips into the window frame which is generally a good idea because it helps reduce outside noise and lowers heating bills in winter since it makes your room more airtight. Or you could fix your system by limiting the volume which you play. Your choice.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Fix the windows, particular resonance can occur at fairly low spls.
Keith

Willem

Major Contributor
Big modern double glazing windows are so heavy that I have never heard them rattle. Even more so with modern triple glazing, of course.

OP
A

aquavit

This is where I'm out now, I've concentrated on sub integration using the miniDSP tutorial, crossover set at 100Hz *DALI recommend 90Hz for these speakers but my ears preferred 100), 1/2db decrease on R speaker to adjust off-axis listening position:

Full system 7 12 23.jpg

20-1000.jpg

I'm really pleased with the difference this has made to the SQ, the speakers sound less stressed, airier and more of everything. Whilst the subwoofer is there, but not aware of it. Just as it should be I guess ...........

As a result I've spent three days listening to music almost wall to wall, rediscovering old favourites, finding new stuff, feeling emotionally engaged and enjoying my music more than I have in a very long time.

5-pot-fan

Congratulations on achieving such an enjoyable improvement in a relatively short time.
Regaining that engagement is very enjoyable!
I hope you can avoid going too far down the 'rabbit hole' ....

Top Bottom