• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

REW measurement of 2.1 system - would you EQ and where/how?

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi guys, thought I'd share my room measurements for my dining room system. I think it looks pretty good as it is (no smoothing applied) but don't have a great deal of experience with this. I have the ability to apply 4 PEQ filters with the Wiim Pro, but have no bass management and was wondering if anybody has any advice?

System setup - Wiim Pro via optical to SMSL DO100, DAC to Ncore NC122MP power amp and BK Double Gem Subwoofer. Speakers are KEF Q4.
1708523540452.png

staticV3

Master Contributor
That is not a real speaker measurement.
Something went wrong.

Check your inputs and outputs and make sure you use Java EXCL.

If REW doesn't work as signal generator on your setup, then you can use the Generator to export a measurement sweep as .wav and play it back like you would normal music.

You can either use REW's normal Measure dialog and capture the sweep as its being played using the external sweep source option, or you can record the tone using any audio recorder of your choice, then import it into REW with the import->import sweep recording function.

Lastly, REW's default sweep is useful in that it captures FR, HD, phase, GD, ... all at the same time.

However, for assessing in-room frequency response you're much better off using Pink noise with the Moving Microphone Method.

Last edited:
OP
J

Joffy1780

That is not a real speaker measurement.
Something went wrong.
I will be first to admit I don't really know what I'm doing. What makes you say so?

OP
J

Joffy1780

REW works as a signal generator on my setup, I used the REW default sweep.

Josq

I will be first to admit I don't really know what I'm doing. What makes you say so?
I agree this is not real.

Random example of a real unsmoothed measurement:

Roll-off around 20 Hz, "hairy" response in the mid- and high frequency, 10-20db peaks and dips in the bass, are a few things you should expect

OP
J

Joffy1780

Roll-off around 20 Hz, "hairy" response in the mid- and high frequency, 10-20db peaks and dips in the bass, are a few things you should expect
When you say it's not real, are you saying I'm posting a fake response graph? If so, what would be the point?

OP
J

Joffy1780

It is a real response plotted from REW, it only goes up to 1.2 Khz though, maybe that is why it doesn't look real?

OP
J

Joffy1780

And I could be choosing the wrong options?

staticV3

Master Contributor
When you say it's not real, are you saying I'm posting a fake response graph? If so, what would be the point?
We're not saying that you deliberately faked the response.

We're saying that something went wrong during the measurement and the resulting graph does not actually show the frequency response of you system in your room.

That is simply, fundamentally, not how speakers in a room can measure.

Josq

No, I simply think something went wrong during the measurement. How did you connect the microphone? Maybe post a screenshot of the measurement settings window?

jhwalker

Exactly - an actual measurement with no smoothing would look something like this.

It almost looks like you don't actually have a microphone in use, but I don't think REW would let you measure without one LOL.

Attachments

• snap.jpg
    snap.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 36
OP
J

Joffy1780

I did think it looked too good to be true. The only change I made was to the timing section.
Thanks for the help, btw.
1708525634432.png

OP
J

Joffy1780

Talisman

Forum Donor
I did think it looked too good to be true. The only change I made was to the timing section.
View attachment 351273
Have you tried doing the "check levels"?
You should see the microphone graph go green (it's now blue) and when the check is finished it should tell you something like "too low" or "ok"

OP
J

Joffy1780

Have you tried doing the "check levels"?
You should see the microphone graph go green (it's now blue) and when the check is finished it should tell you something like "too low" or "ok"
Yeah I went through all of that, as I always do.

OP
J

Joffy1780

Thanks guys, I think I just have an exceptional, possibly even golden, ear for this kind of thing and a near perfect room.

Only kidding, but my dining room/lounge is now occupied, so I'll have to investigate further at another time.
This was not the only measurement I have ever ran in this room and the only unusual aspect, I suppose, is my laptop is connected to the Wiim Pro via an HDMI audio extractor for the measurements.
I have ran it with laptop directly to the DO100 in the past, as well as like this.

OP
J

Joffy1780

Looking at previous measurements, I have definitely done something wrong here.
Waste of everyone's time, sorry, this might as well be deleted.

droid2000

View attachment 351273

If the only changes you made were to the timing section, then you probably don't have the soundcard section configured correctly. Can you post an image of the Preferences/Soundcard page?

Top Bottom