• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Robert Koda k-15 Pre-amplifier

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Rubies are not that darn expensive, though.
I tried to tally up the expense of making such a component and I was at a loss for lack of knowledge in estimating it. The limited production of that balanced volume control alone would be pretty high just by itself and it's perfect so the construction is going to be very labor intensive.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Specs suggest that it's an excellent performer - plus another 99% of pure luxury!

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You see easily worth £55k.
Keith
Worth it in a similar sense to a Faberge egg ...

'Lilies of the Valley' Egg, 1898 ...

vliily1.jpg

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rubies are not that darn expensive, though.
Says the man not owning a Ruby encrusted preamp.
this-raging-plebeian-cant-possibly-be-serious-21806991.png

Hope it finds a new owner. It sure is a Unicorn, we may never see it or anything like it again.

Reactions: GDK

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried to tally up the expense of making such a component and I was at a loss for lack of knowledge in estimating it. The limited production of that balanced volume control alone would be pretty high just by itself and it's perfect so the construction is going to be very labor intensive.

Not that I'm holding out for something like a Robert Koda, but if I was, I'd be holding out for one with a balance control. You need that for analog sources. What's the point of having impeccable volume tracking, if your upstream source is imbalanced? But since you don't get a phono input with the K-15, I guess that's not an issue.

Features are hard to beat, even if you have to use a less sophisticated volume control. Below is my idea of a Japanese front end... If Koda made one of these, to his specs, it'd be half a million dollars. ;)
9500.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not that I'm holding out for something like a Robert Koda, but if I was, I'd be holding out for one with a balance control. You need that for analog sources. What's the point of having impeccable volume tracking, if your upstream source is imbalanced? But since you don't get a phono input with the K-15, I guess that's not an issue.

Features are hard to beat, even if you have to use a less sophisticated volume control. Below is my idea of a Japanese front end... If Koda made one of these, to his specs, it'd be half a million dollars. ;)
View attachment 195008
Pioneer in golden age of audio gear. Pretty difficult to beat that. Them and the Kenwoods too where pretty nice inside.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I read that it's a ruby.
All the windows in our house are premature diamonds...;)
That hand-assembled volume "pot" is the real jewel inside... but also a nightmare!
If Robert Koda can do a proper 2-channel pre-amp for mid-5 figures; surely a version without that 'pot' can bring the price to under $28k USD.
Even at that price, I would still rather own an APx555 and use it as a pre-amp, when required!:oops:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems they could have used Vishay foil resistors in the volume control.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This or a full home theater, hard choice

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 195008

Manufacturing expertise, deep R&D, economies of scale all favour flagship-level, cost no object equipment from the big Japanese conglomerates back when stereo was a key business for them. Compare the Koda with the Pioneer Exclusive C7 or the Sony TA-ER1.

egellings

Major Contributor
That much money for just a line stage preamp? I'm in the wrong business!

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Also now for sale the matching Robert Koda K-70 three chassis power amp, seen here at PA back in 2010,

Keith

Top Bottom