• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for headphones similar to AKG K 240DF

solderdude

Grand Contributor
K240DF.png

Below the 600ohm K240 Monitor which had a bit better bass extension than the K240DF

K240Monitor.png

and the quite different K240 Sextet

K240 Sextet.png

canchet

That’s a lot to spend on something I would have to listen to first. Does something like that exist?
I’m also on that same boat, where I live I can’t test any headphones. all headphones I’ve ever had, have been blind purchases.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Well it basically are the 2 traces overlaid. You can figure out some EQ for it.
I suspect the DF is just an acoustically overly damped (pinched off) Monitor driver purpose designed for specific studio usage.
When EQ isn't an option I could easily design a passive filter for the K240 Monitor (600ohm) which can still be found, in fact I even have one for sale, which will turn the Monitor into the DF.
A passive filter is a short extension cable that goes between the headphone cable and the music source and applies the exact EQ needed for that headphone.

Last edited:

canchet

Well it basically are the 2 traces overlaid. You can figure out some EQ for it.
I suspect the DF is just an acoustically overly damped (pinched off) Monitor driver purpose designed for specific studio usage.
When EQ isn't an option I could easily design a passive filter for the K240 Monitor (600ohm) which can still be found, in fact I even have one for sale, which will turn the Monitor into the DF.
A passive filter is a short extension cable that goes between the headphone cable and the music source and applies the exact EQ needed for that headphone.
This is how the driver looks like, it has some extra "holes" I would say bass ports but I´m no expert

Attachments

• IMG_3805.JPG
    IMG_3805.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 23

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Looks like if you want to come closer to the DF you can buy a K240 Monitor and simply tape-off the 3 holes in the back of the driver.
More damping, more lows rolloff.
So sealing some of the holes on the rear side of the driver will get you there, maybe even some of the smaller holes around the magnet (membrane damping).
To do this properly one would need to measure this and seal holes one by one till one reaches the desired bass levels.

Then the front side acoustic resistors (covered holes) may differ and the foam inside may not work as designed anymore also changing the sound but mostly the mid range.

Last edited:

canchet

Looks like if you want to come closer to the DF you can buy a K240 Monitor and simply tape-off the 3 holes in the back of the driver.
More damping, more lows rolloff.
So sealing some of the holes on the rear side of the driver will get you there.
To do this properly one would need to measure this and seal holes one by one till one reaches the desired bass levels.

Then the front side acoustic resistors (covered holes) may differ and the foam inside may not work as designed anymore also changing the sound but mostly the mid range.
Yes, most likely. It could be a good option too. Cheers!

OP
P

pinger

The AKG k371 wired version would be a nice upgrade. Pianists like George Winston and Jim Brickman sound really good on those. Harman tuning so no EQ is needed out of the box.
I recently bought the 371's. Very satisfied with them. Thanks

Top Bottom