• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rob Watts talk at recent CanJam NYC 2023

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Oh dear he now resorts to people being deaf. Sad

View attachment 337780

Is calling out bullshit claims, and trying to cut through his brand of nonsense that exploits ignorance an agenda?

Will this one need the M-scaler too? I wonder if there is a package deal...

Chester

Is calling out bullshit claims, and trying to cut through his brand of nonsense that exploits ignorance an agenda?

Will this one need the M-scaler too? I wonder if there is a package deal...

There is a bigger and better (and more expensive) Scaler coming too.

Chester

This was an interesting post recently over there. Feels like fiction:

6BCB06D0-E733-4D9F-A08D-4BB23998BE6B.png

raif71

Major Contributor
I own a Chord Mojo and impressed by it so other -ve criticisms of him are hearsay cause to me the proof is in the pudding (Mojo) and Rob Watts imho is a competent digital audio designer. :cool:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

View attachment 337792

It does, especially since most of those bets are quite public around here, and there are several of us who would be happy to participate in such a wager.

That's ok, I have read so much about this forum that is simply made up that I can't be bothered to care what the latest lie about us is.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
I own a Chord Mojo and impressed by it so other -ve criticisms of him are hearsay cause to me the proof is in the pudding (Mojo) and Rob Watts imho is a competent digital audio designer. :cool:
Well Mojo2, Hugo2, Hugo TT2 got recommendations for performance (not price) - so we all know he is competent.

The thing is all the stupid things he writes

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It does, especially since most of those bets are quite public around here, and there are several of us who would be happy to participate in such a wager.

That's ok, I have read so much about this forum that is simply made up that I can't be bothered to care what the latest lie about us is.
The mere fact that this is wasn’t mentioned the minute it allegedly happened tells you all you need to know.

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 337792
I love it. The guy invites his former friend from high school to his home to show of his expensive toys, and he proves to him that they work. Devastated by this loss, and jealous of FunyBassMan's immense wealth and golden ears, friend runs away not even holding up to his end of the bet.. Beautiful story. Childishly naive, yet so intense. Put in a backstory of bullying, social rejection and a sexy young woman who regrets making fun of FunkBassMan after witnessing all this first hand; work it into a musical and teenagers would love it - you'd make billions.

PS. You should stop lying in bed, reading Head-fi late at night :)

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor
Well Mojo2, Hugo2, Hugo TT2 got recommendations for performance (not price) - so we all know he is competent.

The thing is all the stupid things he writes
Thanks for agreeing that Watts is competent. :D

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Thanks for agreeing that Watts is competent. :D
That is not a 'gotcha' moment - it is written by Amir himself in the reviews of those products I listed.

The measurements are very good for those products (not Dave).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Most of what was said in the first 30mins of the talk seemed technically correct to me.
But its a bit like uncle Paul. Most of what Paul says makes sense right up to the 'weeeelll' then nonsense comes out which is what his fans seem to want to hear.
The same thing happens except there is no .... weeeellll there is an almost seamless transition from facts to 'his observations/listening skills'.
This 'technique' sets the idea that all that he says in the first 30 mins is technically correct (so he knows about the designs) that everything he says later on also MUST be correct.
This makes it very easy to 'trust' everything Rob says.

Obviously Rob has done a lot of work with DACs and can create well measuring/performing DACs.
Its the nonsense around it and price tag that makes it harder to swallow.
Those not knowing about the technical bits are likely to believe everything that he says and are convinced more expensive = better.

What's the unbelievable part is that while he sells his IP to DAC manufacturers and they can see what Rob's ideas are they cannot seem to make 'audible best performing' DACs (only Rob seems to be able to do this.

Another thing he rushes over is that he focusses on the DAC side (with all its 'distortion' and 'noise floor' modulations making all recordings sound 'true to life' yet completely goes by on the issues and techniques used on the recording side.
As if there are no filters there, there is no distortion and noise floor modulation and different ADC techniques there. Only the DAC side and simple RC filter (and his amp design) is what makes the difference between 'musical' and 'analytic/cold'.

Last edited:
OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Another thing he rushes over is that he focusses on the DAC side (with all its 'distortion' and 'noise floor' modulations making all recordings sound 'true to life' yet completely goes by on the issues and techniques used on the recording side.
As if there are no filters there, there is no distortion and noise floor modulation and different ADC techniques there. Only the DAC side and simple RC filter (and his amp design) is what makes the difference between 'musical' and 'analytic/cold'.
His DAVINA ADC for the pro audio customer is to address this (apparently).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
But not all recordings use it... how can Chord DACs still make the sound 'more natural' when the downsides of the ADC/processing is already 'embedded' in the recording ?
That would basically mean that only ADC's - processing - DAC loop mad by Chord would be able to sound 'natural' ?

raif71

Major Contributor
Most of what was said in the first 30mins of the talk seemed technically correct to me.
But its a bit like uncle Paul. Most of what Paul says makes sense right up to the 'weeeelll' then nonsense comes out which is what his fans seem to want to hear.
The same thing happens except there is no .... weeeellll there is an almost seamless transition from facts to 'his observations/listening skills'.
This 'technique' sets the idea that all that he says in the first 30 mins is technically correct (so he knows about the designs) that everything he says later on also MUST be correct.
This makes it very easy to 'trust' everything Rob says.

Obviously Rob has done a lot of work with DACs and can create well measuring/performing DACs.
Its the nonsense around it and price tag that makes it harder to swallow.
Those not knowing about the technical bits are likely to believe everything that he says and are convinced more expensive = better.

What's the unbelievable part is that while he sells his IP to DAC manufacturers and they can see what Rob's ideas are they cannot seem to make 'audible best performing' DACs (only Rob seems to be able to do this.

Can you name any other DAC that uses Watts' IP besides Chord ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Can you name any other DAC that uses Watts' IP besides Chord ?
Obviously there are only a handful of DAC chip manufacturers and who knows maybe some manufacturer may have contacted him in the past.
If there is any IP in there, and if there is, whether or not it is significant remains to be seen. No one that knows will likely tell.

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor
Obviously there are only a handful of DAC chip manufacturers and who knows maybe some manufacturer may have contacted him in the past.
If there is any IP in there ?
Ok...I had thought you knew the DAC manufacturer when you quoted this "What's the unbelievable part is that while he sells his IP to DAC manufacturers and they can see what Rob's ideas are they cannot seem to make 'audible best performing' DACs (only Rob seems to be able to do this."

Perhaps I misunderstood.

Top Bottom