• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rob Watts talk at recent CanJam NYC 2023

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There was dac made by company named Tube Technology (Fulcrum I believe) where mr Watts was responsible for digital section.

Soria Moria

Am I the only one who is excited to see how Chord's new DAC looks? Hopefully he'll move away from using the awkward balls for control.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Obviously there are only a handful of DAC chip manufacturers and who knows maybe some manufacturer may have contacted him in the past.
If there is any IP in there and if there is whether or not it is significant remains to be seen. No one that knows will likely tell.
He has confirmed publicly that he never did any work for AKM and ESS.

I'm not sure if anyone asked about TI/BB or CirrusLogic

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
Am I the only one who is excited to see how Chord's new DAC looks? Hopefully he'll move away from using the awkward balls for control.
Actually I like the look of chord products.
I can see how someone cannot stand it, but I like it, different approach, not another black square box.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
He has confirmed publicly that he never did any work for AKM and ESS.

I'm not sure if anyone asked about TI/BB or CirrusLogic
He used to worked for Zetex I believe I don't know if company exists anymore.
He developed DDFA amplifiers there, but I'm not 100% sure.
His current dacs use that technology now but with linear not switching output stage.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Ok...I had thought you knew the DAC manufacturer when you quoted this "What's the unbelievable part is that while he sells his IP to DAC manufacturers and they can see what Rob's ideas are they cannot seem to make 'audible best performing' DACs (only Rob seems to be able to do this."

Perhaps I misunderstood.
It's what Rob claimed. Of course he does not disclose who the chip manufacturer(s) were and what the IP was all about.

Hearsay from Rob W.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
It's what Rob claimed. Of course he does not disclose who the chip manufacturer(s) were and what the IP was all about.

Hearsay from Rob W.
COrrect he never disclosed but people have asked if he worked for X or Y and he answered.

He did say he invented the Direct Digital amp Qualcomm technology NAD and others use

We know he's a smart dude, no question. Its his marketing claims that raise eyebrows

1703847781047.png

Chester

I think he made a DAC for YBA prior to Chord. It looks identical to an early one of his Chord DACs.

Rhamnetin

The $30k one? No, but now that you mention it, I suspect the aesthetics will look cool but a bit polarizing as usual. I am more curious about the inevitable Hugo 3, not that I'd ever buy it at the MSRP.

AdrianusG

It does, especially since most of those bets are quite public around here, and there are several of us who would be happy to participate in such a wager.

That's ok, I have read so much about this forum that is simply made up that I can't be bothered to care what the latest lie about us is.
Mmm, now i'm wondering who exactly this "ASR Loony" is then.

AdrianusG

The mere fact that this is wasn’t mentioned the minute it allegedly happened tells you all you need to know.
Indeed, just saying "my friend" clearly heard the difference is the same evidence as saying you did, it's still pure anecdotal.

Top Bottom