• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rob Watts talk at recent CanJam NYC 2023

Music1969

Major Contributor
Lots of funny moments. Enjoy if you want a good laugh.

Note - it is clear he is a capable designer of discrete DACs. Several of his products measured very well here. Qutest, Hugo2, Hugo TT2

But he still speaks a lot of nonsense at the same time.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can tell he is a consultant as he speaks for an hour and gives you effectively no useful information.

On the bright side, we know now how he defines musicality, that is, being able to get emotional, the spine tingling thing, tapping your feet, wanting to listen to music for 8 hours, wanting to listen to different music. I think he means cocaine.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rob says, and I quote, "the only way of actually recognizing that you are not hearing true transparency is if it is more emotionally involving or not more emotionally involving".

That is an astonishingly sneaky way of giving yourself the creative freedom to claim whatever the hell you want. Rob's talents are being wasted in the audio world.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Really puts me off anything designed by him, why does he feel the need?
Can you imagine Daniel Weiss or Matthias Carstens..
Keith

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lots of funny moments. Enjoy if you want a good laugh.

Note - it is clear he is a capable designer of discrete DACs. Several of his products measured very well here. Qutest, Hugo2, Hugo TT2

But he still speaks a lot of nonsense at the same time.

Is it me or does Rob decrease the audible level of noise floor modulation by 50dB or more each time he talks? I've seen his early mentions of about -200dB being audible, then -300dB. In this talk he mentions -350dB! His ears are amazing, and need to be preserved and studied by science for centuries to come ;)

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Is it me or does Rob decrease the audible level of noise floor modulation by 50dB or more each time he talks? I've seen his early mentions of about -200dB being audible, then -300dB. In this talk he mentions -350dB! His ears are amazing, and need to be preserved and studied by science for centuries to come ;)
LOL yes he does. There was an interview with either Darko or Passion For Sound where he mentioned -400dB , but not seen plots yet. I'll find it because it is great entertainment

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is -400db on the shout-o-meter? A mosquito farting on Pluto?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is -400db on the shout-o-meter? A mosquito farting on Pluto?
  • Assume SPL of mosquito fart is 0 dB SPL at a distance of 1 mm.
  • To attenuate to -400 dB, it will require 400/6.0206 = 66.44 doubling of distance
  • Distance required to attenuate to -400 dB SPL = 0.001 m * 2^(66.44) = 0.001 * 1e20 = 1e17 m = 10.6 light years
You have way underestimated Watts.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Rob says, and I quote, "the only way of actually recognizing that you are not hearing true transparency is if it is more emotionally involving or not more emotionally involving".

That is an astonishingly sneaky way of giving yourself the creative freedom to claim whatever the hell you want. Rob's talents are being wasted in the audio world.

My blood uncontrollably fumes whenever I read "imply anything, commit nothing" corporate bullshittery word salad garbo.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Imagine a WiFi signal with 300+ dB of signal latitude to work with :eek:… the range that you could have… Why didn’t anyone think of this before? Watts could have made a lot more money in wireless transmission systems:facepalm:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Imagine a WiFi signal with 300+ dB of signal latitude to work with :eek:… the range that you could have… Why didn’t anyone think of this before? Watts could have made a lot more money in wireless transmission systems:facepalm:
We are getting dangerously close to quantum world.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apparently not:
Nope, that is a paper deriving Johnson-Nyquist noise from quantum mechanics. The original theory is based on statistical mechanics which is classical.

Here the abstract of the original 1928 paper. Hope we can put this to peepee measuring contest to rest now please.
The electromotive force due to thermal agitation in conductors is calculated by means of principles in thermodynamics and statistical mechanics. The results obtained agree with results obtained experimentally.

https://journals.aps.org/pr/abstract/10.1103/PhysRev.32.110

Top Bottom