• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME announces app control for RME Adi-2 series

Guy Fawkes

Begs the question - what is wrong with 2.1?
Too slow to open window, on my system it takes about 4/5 seconds to open, version 1.3 starts immediately, but I wonder what RME did to make it so slow.

I would like to report this on the RME forum but it doesn't allow me to register because the system mistakes me for a bot when I try to register on the forum

Last edited:

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
You are the only one to report this. I expect foul play from your Antivirus.

Reactions: MAB

Guy Fawkes

You are the only one to report this. I expect foul play from your Antivirus.
I think you're right, I registered by phone and succeeded.

Regarding the opening speed of version 2.1, can you do something?

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
No way. Especially as we can't reproduce this nor know why it behaves like that on your system. You could temporarily disable the AV to check if that is related. Otherwise you need to post all driver and firmware versions in use, the exact model and OS that you use etc.

Hemi-Demon

@MC_RME

I have an ADI-2 Pro SE and I recently updated to the latest firmware (3/28/2024, FPGA 209, DSP 40) as of yesterday. I am running Win 10 driver 09833. USB Input. Once I updated to Remote 2.1, the app no longer sees the device. In the upper banner it reads ADI -2 Remote ADI-2/4 Pro SE -no response.

On my setup the app opens quickly with no delay.

I uninstalled, rebooted and went back to 2.0B4 and the same issue occurs.

Let me know if there is any other information I could provide to help hash out the issue.

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
On the unit check that the MIDI port is enabled (Setup - Options - Device Mode / DSD, scroll down to MIDI Control). The firmware update might have reset this to off.

Hemi-Demon

On the unit check that the MIDI port is enabled (Setup - Options - Device Mode / DSD, scroll down to MIDI Control). The firmware update might have reset this to off.

Man you are amazing - simple correction and now I am back in business:D

Guy Fawkes

No way. Especially as we can't reproduce this nor know why it behaves like that on your system. You could temporarily disable the AV to check if that is related. Otherwise you need to post all driver and firmware versions in use, the exact model and OS that you use etc.
My system is:

11th Generation Intel Core i7 Processors
Windows 10, but I also encountered the problem on Windows 11,
RME ADI-2 DAC FS (ESS),
Driver 0.9.833.0,
FPGA 81, DSP 62.

As soon as I click on the ADI-2 Remote icon, the wait cursor appears which takes about 3/4 seconds (timed) while the start of version 1.3 is lightning fast

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Is that '3 to 4 seconds'? What about AV?

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
You wrote same problem on Windows 11. That is a dual-boot machine, or a different computer then?

I wonder if there is any background task or service that causes this. It could be that if your Windows 11 is a copy of the Windows 10 install, with same tools, apps etc, and the same computer hardware.

Guy Fawkes

You wrote same problem on Windows 11. That is a dual-boot machine, or a different computer then?

I wonder if there is any background task or service that causes this. It could be that if your Windows 11 is a copy of the Windows 10 install, with same tools, apps etc, and the same computer hardware.
Are installed on two different HDDs on the same machine, I installed Windows 11 yesterday and after the clean installation I immediately installed the RME and ADI-2 Remote 2.0 drivers without installing anything else and I immediately noticed its slowness, uninstalling the version 2 and installing version 1.3, everything goes fast again.

Same thing if I start the machine with Windows 10, version 1.3 is faster than version 2.0 to open

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
The main difference between v1.3 and 2.0/2.1 is that the 2.x versions load the formerly (auto) saved state on startup. The files to load are

C:\ProgramData\ADI2Remote\rme.adi2remote.main.xml
and
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\ADI2Remote\ADI-xxxxx

The first is about 1kB, the second about 46 kB. Both readable text files (XML). It might be that Remote 2.x has no access to these paths (try to start as admin), or that these files are corrupted aka not readable. You could delete them and restart the app, they will be rebuilt, and only contain the current state of your ADI-2, so no problem to do that.

Also the hard drive could be extremely slow because fragmented...if it is a HDD...

Guy Fawkes

The main difference between v1.3 and 2.0/2.1 is that the 2.x versions load the formerly (auto) saved state on startup. The files to load are

C:\ProgramData\ADI2Remote\rme.adi2remote.main.xml
and
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\ADI2Remote\ADI-xxxxx

The first is about 1kB, the second about 46 kB. Both readable text files (XML). It might be that Remote 2.x has no access to these paths (try to start as admin), or that these files are corrupted aka not readable. You could delete them and restart the app, they will be rebuilt, and only contain the current state of your ADI-2, so no problem to do that.

Also the hard drive could be extremely slow because fragmented...if it is a HDD...
The hard disk is an NVME with Windows 11 just installed as already mentioned, I will try to do the solution you described

Antagron

@MC_RME - out of curiosity, why are the increments for the PEQ dependent on which "knob" you turn? Like for some it's 1Hz increments, some much higher, same with gain like 0.1 or 0.5... is there a way to make them all uniform or set it somehow by band?

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
The Hz increments follow usability and necessity. No one needs to dial in 10001 or 10002 Hz. And without bigger steps in the higher frequencies the knob must be turned endlessly to get to the desired frequency.

Regarding PEQ gain - they are all identical at 0.5 dB steps. Where did you see 0.1?

Antagron

The Hz increments follow usability and necessity. No one needs to dial in 10001 or 10002 Hz. And without bigger steps in the higher frequencies the knob must be turned endlessly to get to the desired frequency.

Regarding PEQ gain - they are all identical at 0.5 dB steps. Where did you see 0.1?
Perhaps that was just mis-remembering? In any case, is there a reason why, while it would be tedious to dial a knob by 1Hz, using the software, couldn't we "direct dial" an exact frequency, gain or Q to some reasonable precision (say 1Hz and 0.1 for the others)? Using the mouse would use whichever increments the software has already. That said, I think amplitude by 0.1 would be a much appreciated improvement since people aren't changing those by more than ~+/-10.

Last edited:
Top Bottom