• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Trell

Major Contributor
Realistically if I want something for movies, music, and gaming to pair with higher end headphones ($1.5-$2k) and powered desktop monitors, is the adi 2 dac going to be enough....or has there been enough progress in the last few years since release that i should consider waiting or going for the 2/4 given it can also do a/d for an external mic? I don't know what RME's typical refresh cadence is either---as in is it likely something new will release in the next 6-9 months

Looking at measurements from recent releases from SMSL and Topping, they seem to be blowing RME away. I know it's not all noticeable in the real world, though.

As an owner of an RME ADI-2 DAC FS: Disable the onboard DSP and you won't hear any difference with better measuring devices. I bought it for the many excellent features like Dynamic Loudness, PEQ, Bass/Treble controls as well as an excellent manual and proven very long time support of their products. Of course, it also had the needed connectivity and drive my headphones properly.

As for external mic: You'll need an audio interface. I use the RME FireFace UCX II that is connected to my ADI-2 DAC FS.

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Realistically if I want something for movies, music, and gaming to pair with higher end headphones ($1.5-$2k) and powered desktop monitors, is the adi 2 dac going to be enough....
YES

or has there been enough progress in the last few years since release that i should consider waiting or going for the 2/4 given it can also do a/d for an external mic?
Not with a mic.
Well, unless you close-mike your drum kit

I don't know what RME's typical refresh cadence is either---as in is it likely something new will release in the next 6-9 months
:) Rather a few years.

Looking at measurements from recent releases from SMSL and Topping, they seem to be blowing RME away. I know it's not all noticeable in the real world, though.
Well...
They probably peak at higher SINAD, indeed.
You go from excellent to... very excellent.

But you get that on a narrow voltage range.
While the RME remains excellent on a MUCH wider output range.

I don't know for the DAC, but the ADI-2 Pro fs R is above 114dB SINAD from 0.7V to 19.5V (In measurement mono mode)
The new ADI2/4 Pro will probably be even better on the lower ranges.

2022-08-29 12_52_56-Greenshot.png

Last edited:

InfiniteNacho

very helpful. thats why i am so glad i found this forum! am i losing much without balanced headphone out, besides just some power?

InfiniteNacho

If i wanted to connect it to two different computers, is my best bet just a simple usb 2.0 switch / kvm? one wish for adi-3 would be multiple usb inputs

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If i wanted to connect it to two different computers, is my best bet just a simple usb 2.0 switch / kvm? one wish for adi-3 would be multiple usb inputs
I don't know why you'd want to do that.

But if you find yourself a Topping D10 (whatever generation), you may feed the RME SPDIF in with the D10's SPDIF out, while the D10 is connected to the second PC with USB.
Seems quite overkill though.
(But you may still re-use the D10 later as a good DAC for a secondary system)

Otherwise, there are cheaper USB - SPDIF interfaces available.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A simple USB 2.0 switch is sufficient. I use a cheap 4x4 switch with my ADI2 PRO fs, a mouse and a keyboard.

VariousArtists

This is what I use and it works fine with the ADI-2 DAC

Cable Matters 4 Port USB 3.0 Switch Hub/KVM Switch, USB Switcher for 4 Computers and USB Peripherals - Button or Wireless Remote Control Swapping - Includes USB-C Adapter for USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 https://amzn.eu/d/dmkdivO

rcstevensonaz

If i wanted to connect it to two different computers, is my best bet just a simple usb 2.0 switch / kvm?
For home office audio configuration — unless you have need to keep everything in digital domain* — I highly recommend an Ashly LX-308B Mixer as an "integrated pre-amp"**. That provides 8 stereo input channels (TRS Balanced or TS SE), and 2 stereo output channels (1 TRS Balanced/TS SE, 1 TS SE). The volume trim can be adjusted individually for each source channel to level the respective input volumes (or for gain staging); and then the combined total output volume is controlled by the master out.

The primary advantage is that all channels to remain active, instead of having to only select a single source at a time like typical AVR (or KVM device). Though you can still easily mute any / all channels as needed. This way, I can have both my work laptop and home computer hooked up, while also listening to music from any source I want at the same time. I never miss any "beeps" or "rings" from the computers; and when someone at work "rings" (e.g., an incoming MS Teams call), I simply pause the source music or push the channel mute button as I am answering the call.

Input sources:
1) Work Laptop (straight audio out or cheap USB DAC or decent Topping E30), 2) Home PC (USB DAC Topping D90*), 3) Squeezebox v3, 4) Turntable, 5) Oppo DVD (2 channel), 6) Alexa Input, etc.

Output targets:
  1. Balanced: RME ADI 2 PRO FS which then provides balanced out to KH120A speakers; and Coax SPDI/f output to KEF LS50 W II.
  2. SE: Monolith THX 887 (* the balanced output from Topping D90 also route here for "straight passthrough")
* For my use case, there is no audible difference from an added AD/DA cycle routing through the mixer since all digital components have high quality DACs. And an all digital mixer doesn't help much since some sources are analog only (i.e., turntable).

** Plug for Tim F. at Dale Pro Audio — he reduced the price from $899 to $575. That said, if you have fewer sources, you might instead look at a lower cost "desktop size" mixing board (Behringer, Yamaha, Mackie, etc.); but for me, most of those added frills and I just wanted a simple straight through analog audio paths.

Last edited:

rcstevensonaz

one wish for adi-3 would be multiple usb inputs
On this, I agree. But for a different reason: I want to be to have a USB as an input source while also using the USB as a Send/Receive port for off-device audio processing. Under the current model, you can only use the single USB as either an input source or as a send/receive port.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I have an RPi 3 with a 7” touch screen and Allo digione running Picoreplayer feeding my RME adi-2 DAC which directly drives my Naim NAP300 dr power amp.

The RME DAC in my system acts as my digital pre, volume control, EQ and basic room correction and headphone amplifier it is the heart of everything, not many DACs I have seen can do this in such a neat package, it’s a great bit of kit.
Yep.

94B59951-8E19-4F52-AB64-7378D40AA6EE.jpeg

AndersP

Can this DAC be used as a preamp? It has a stereo input.

Last edited:

roog

Forum Donor
Can this DAC be used as a preamp? It has a stereo input.

Depends on what you mean by a pre amp?

The ADI-2 DAC fs is a DAC with DSP, i.e. it has selectable digital inputs and analogue output that can be used to drive a power amp directly, the DAC has a built-in volume and DSP tone control, so in a sense the DAC can be used to select /control your digital signals and feed a power amp, but it has no analogue input.

The ADI-2 PRO fs is similar to the DAC above, but also includes an analogue input, so this can be used as a basic one analogue stereo input 'pre amp' with volume and DSP tone control.

NB. I have just checked the RME web site and the ADI-2 PRO fs is shown as discontinued, perhaps they are bringing out a new version.

Last edited:

kolestonin

Can this DAC be used with no EQ/DSP applied?

I will put my hands on a used unit and I would like to know if I need to disable some features in order to try this as a simple DAC with no equalisation.

I did some reading and I understood all I need to do is reset to factory defaults and then disable the digital DC protection filter.

Is there anything else I should do?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can this DAC be used with no EQ/DSP applied?

I will put my hands on a used unit and I would like to know if I need to disable some features in order to try this as a simple DAC with no equalisation.

I did some reading and I understood all I need to do is reset to factory defaults and then disable the digital DC protection filter.

Is there anything else I should do?
Yes, you can disable everything and run as a pure DAC if you wish.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also you can disable everything for XLR outs and enable EQ for headphone out for example. Each output has its own settings saved independently.

Top Bottom